New Touchpad Owner, App Suggestions?

batteriesnotincluded

[H]ard|Gawd
I imagine there will be a sizable influx of new HP Touchpad owners. Maybe this can become some sort of centralized thread some day, but for now, I'll just focus on my needs.

Worst case scenario, nothing happens and it'll be adequate to surf the web from my couch, take care of email, GoogleTalk, FaceBook, and all the other meaningless crap that I don't need a portable workstation for. For $150, I'm willing to handle those limitations.

Best case scenario, Android is successfully ported over to it, and I have all the functionality of my Droid X, which will be very nice.

But, in the interim: there are a few features I can't seem to find an app for. The market sucks for selection, and I don't want to spend any money if I can avoid it, as I'll be an early adopter of any Android betas. These obviously never hit a real critical mass or else HP might not have abandoned it so harshly, and the app selection I've seen reflects that.

1. RDP. I'm not looking for VNC, I specifically want support for Windows' remote desktop.

2. Media players that can use a shared drive off a desktop. Ideally music, as there's not as many codec issues to concern myself with, but pictures would be nice as well.

3. Some sort of internal file browser. (Astro for Android, for example)

I'm surprised I don't see more posts about the touchpad news. I called everywhere local today to try and get one, either they are not allowed to be sold and being sent back to hp, or they sold out. I'm still checking newegg, amazon, and a few other sites to see if the price drops, cause the 16gb is still $399

I'm kind of surprised as well.

Anyway, the first thing I can recommend to people, at least while we're stuck on WebOS on these, is get Preware for it. You can download a new kernel that ups the max speed to 1.5ghz, download patches that will double the volume, block ads, ads reset options, adds a private browsing option, unthrottles download speed, etc.

#3 can be taken care of adequately (for me) by Internalz, available on Preware

Last edited:
I'm honestly not sure if these are going to be worth the money. Unless there is some serious changes in the software I don't see these things being responsive enough to be a "surfing toy"

I'm honestly not sure if these are going to be worth the money. Unless there is some serious changes in the software I don't see these things being responsive enough to be a "surfing toy"

seems like everyone said that the update fixed the slowness a few weeks ago. are they really that slow?

not really, after the update, it worked better.

Now i just need to figure out how to import the bookmarks from my desktop.

I picked up a touchpad today for 100 bucks, I'm ok with it at 100 bucks. Better than any other device close in price

I just bought a laptop for 300 then this happened when I dont have the cash left till next payday :(
Humm I wonder if there will be any left by then....

I just bought a laptop for 300 then this happened when I dont have the cash left till next payday :(
Humm I wonder if there will be any left by then....

maybe, if hp sells the ones best buy stores are sending back

I'm kind of surprised as well.

Anyway, the first thing I can recommend to people, at least while we're stuck on WebOS on these, is get Preware for it. You can download a new kernel that ups the max speed to 1.5ghz, download patches that will double the volume, block ads, ads reset options, adds a private browsing option, unthrottles download speed, etc.

#3 can be taken care of adequately (for me) by Internalz, available on Preware

I just got one as well and was reading about this elsewhere. It has me tempted. Does the overclock increase heat much though? I don't want to go burning this thing up.

So far the only thing that has irked me about it is I guess it can only print to HP printers. Seems retarded.

I think a lot of people are gambling on an android port coming out...

i went to best buy this morning when they opened the doors, all sold out yesterday. was hoping they would have some with the news last night of them deciding to sell instead of send back to hp. my bestbuy had like no tablets no the shelves, just display units. thinking maybe they only had a hand full last night that employees probably bought.

Damn, just checked all my local computer stores online stock and none have them. I would have jumped on either model at that price. Been eager to grab a tablet for a while, and at that price you can't go wrong.

EDIT: whole bunch for sale on Kijiji for 300$ though, assholes :mad:

Damn, just checked all my local computer stores online stock and none have them. I would have jumped on either model at that price. Been eager to grab a tablet for a while, and at that price you can't go wrong.

EDIT: whole bunch for sale on Kijiji for 300$ though, assholes :mad:

its better to call, if you don't live in a very populated area you might still have a chance. but by now everywhere is sold out. at this point have to either wait till hp gets them back in stock tomorrow or tuesday I heard. or keep refreshing sites like newegg for them to drop the price, cause alot of places are still asking $400 for the 16gb.

Staples all over the place here (or office depot I already forgot) are listing them for $500 in adds still, but I called and they are doing the $100/$150 sale. Most of these adds were created 2-3 weeks ago and distributed already, I'm guessing HP didn't want to pay more money and have them all changed.

its better to call, if you don't live in a very populated area you might still have a chance. but by now everywhere is sold out. at this point have to either wait till hp gets them back in stock tomorrow or tuesday I heard. or keep refreshing sites like newegg for them to drop the price, cause alot of places are still asking $400 for the 16gb.

Yeah, I didn't think they'd sell out around here, but I guess the city is more connected than I gave it credit for.

Oh well, I'm going to go around to the stores tommorow just in case one pops out of nowhere.

Yeah, I didn't think they'd sell out around here, but I guess the city is more connected than I gave it credit for.

Oh well, I'm going to go around to the stores tommorow just in case one pops out of nowhere.

I'd start checking the hp site tomorrow, its confirmed they are getting more. once business start to get back to work tomorrow, they will most likely be dropping the price. newegg, amazon, sears, buy.com, mac connection, techdepot, HP small & medium business. basically everywhere that still has them in stock but for the high price.

checking the posts in the slick deals thread is how I found mine, got it from the seller "onsale" on amazon today. hopefully it ships, the seller has tons of positive feedback so I'm not worried either way. my order says it will ship monday or tuesday.

Well I finally sealed the deal on my touchpad should be here tuesday. I'm glad it plays hulu thats one thing I wish my EEE Pad transformer.

barnes and noble website has got it for sale right now, $101.95 for the 16gb

I was hoping for some more app discussion in this thread.

Media players that can use a shared drive off a desktop. Ideally music, as there's not as many codec issues to concern myself with, but pictures would be nice as well.

I would really like to have this as well, if anyone knows a way.

I was hoping for some more app discussion in this thread.

I would really like to have this as well, if anyone knows a way.

there is a media app that can play off the network, i cant remember the name ATM its in the touchpad version of the "market" under media players, i ran across it the other day

there is a media app that can play off the network, i cant remember the name ATM its in the touchpad version of the "market" under media players, i ran across it the other day

KalemSoft Media Player.

Edit: If I have two TP for personal use that use the same account, I cannot share paid applications between the two, right?

Last edited:
KalemSoft Media Player.

Edit: If I have two TP for personal use that use the same account, I cannot share paid applications between the two, right?

that is not the one i'm thinking of, this one was specifically to play over the network, not local files

that is not the one i'm thinking of, this one was specifically to play over the network, not local files

KalemSoft can stream files. If you find the one you are thinking of please post it as KalemSoft is pretty expensive to purchase.

i was hoping for more as well. Sadly, it seems just about every Touchpad related thread gets littered with discussion about where to find them, or how many people got, or whatever...instead of the topic at hand.

Kalemsoft for $7 on a platform I don't really have any faith in doesn't seem like an idea plan. I really like certain aspects of webOS, but this thing really needs an Android App emulator comparable to what the PlayBook is doing. Without that app market, this tablet's rather bleak.

Although, I'm probably spoiled for having the Android Market, and therefore being unwilling to shell out money like I would if I was raised on the iOS or Blackberry markets.

anyone having problems accessing the HP App Catalog? I keep getting "The action could not be completed. Try again later."

EDIT: nm, it works now ........

Last edited:
KalemSoft can stream files. If you find the one you are thinking of please post it as KalemSoft is pretty expensive to purchase.

finally got around to looking it up' its BHome there is a free and pro version $3 cheaper than kalemaoft(market price)

finally got around to looking it up' its BHome there is a free and pro version $3 cheaper than kalemaoft(market price)

Thanks.

I actually found that KalemSoft has their media player up for download for free on their website:
http://www.kalemsoft.com/site/downloads2.html
*They also have a beta version 0.3.6 up for download on their site too.

You'll need to download their streamer program that you install and run on your PC (which is also free). Was easy to set up and I am right now playing streaming AVI files on my TP. :)

I am confused as to why they offer this for free yet in the HP Market they charge $7. Not sure what the differences between the two are besides the one in the market possibly being more up-to-date.

Edit: Ah, it is a one week trial. Going to give Touchplayer a try since I want something that can handle AVI files.

Last edited:

Thanks, I'll look into that. I'm hesitant to dish for KalemSoft, especially since the reviews weren't very promising either.

Back