New to XP Pro 64 bit and have a question

The-One

Gawd
Is there a program like there is for XP Pro 32bit to change the half open connections in for TCP? The EvID4226Patch223d doesn't work in XP 64 bit. Just wondering if it's possible to change?

Has there ever been a confirmed need for this? I thought that connection limit think was shot down as hype and no substance?

I won't argue that. I must have missed that though. I always have thought it was needed to download more quickly when you download like 25-30 things at once. I'm an ass I guess.:(

I'm not saying I'm right. I vaguely remember a thread in which that connection limit was explained to not have any effect on downloading, torrenting, etc.

The connection limit does exist in XP Professional 32 bit, from Service Pack 2 and also in Service Pack 3. It was put in place with SP2 as a security measure to prevent DDoS attacks from happening nearly as easily as it is pre-SP2 meaning enlisting non-infected/non-compromised machines in DDoS attacks by using proxies, etc. It caps the number of "half-open" connections so a typical workstation can't be employed in a DDoS attack opening hundreds of such connections which causes the target machines to basically die, hence the DDoS.

But XP Profressional 64 Bit Edition, commonly referred to as XP Pro x64, does not have this issue because - one more time, kids, come on say it with me...

XP Professional 64 Bit, commonly referred to as XP Pro x64 is NOT XP Professional 32 bit.

XP Pro x64 is based on Windows Server 2003 x64, and as such, having a server OS as its direct lineage, does not suffer from the effects of the half-open limitation that XP Pro 32 bit does.

Software typically doesn't recognize XP Pro x64 as the OS it truly is at heart (2K3 x64) and as such automagically treats it as XP Pro 32 bit and does whatever arbitrary limits to itself - meaning the software in question - and that's that. But XP Pro x64 has no such limitations inherently; only the software in question does such tricks to itself and not to the OS or the TCP/IP stack.

XP Pro x64 doesn't have half-open connection limits. I'm sitting here right now with uTorrent open grabbing several items and I've got 96 connections open and live, nothing is "half-open," I assure you. :)

And yes, I run XP Pro x64 exclusively, have done so for years now... I'm typically regarded as the most outspoken XP Pro x64 supporter around these parts, so be it. My sig says all I need to say about it.

I run XP x64 and had this issue popping up in my event viewer and did find the patch for it but I don't recall where.

sorry.

Back