New to watercooling! I have questions....I bet you can answer them!

jqderrick

Limp Gawd
Hello,

First off, thanks for taking the time to read this post. I appreciate it!

Here's my situation. I would like to watercool my processor and video card mostly to make the video card quieter. I am running a 290X and man is this thing loud. It's in an upstairs bedroom and if the door isn't shut you can hear it churning away in any other room in the house.

I don't know where I should begin in this process. Here is a list of all the components I currently have. I am using a H100I for cooling my cpu currently.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($565.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus X79 DELUXE ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($335.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($300.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 530 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 290X 4GB Video Card ($599.99 @ NCIX US)
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Zx 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 600T Mesh (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Microcenter)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - 64-bit - OEM (64-bit) ($137.98 @ Best Buy)
Monitor: QNIX QX2710 DisplayPort Matte 60Hz 27.0" Monitor ($379.49 @ Newegg)
Monitor: QNIX QX2710 DisplayPort Matte 60Hz 27.0" Monitor ($379.49 @ Newegg)
Total: $3284.86
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-03 12:47 EST-0500)

Here are the questions I have so far (yes I read the stickies....but a lot of that information is out of date and the links no longer work):

1.) Should I get it piece by piece or should I get an all in one kit?
2.) What are some reputable sites that I can purchase parts from?
3.) What's the deal with all the tubing sizes? and which fittings should I get for each size?
4.) What's the difference with all the types of fittings?
5.) Should I have 1 loop for video card and processor? Should I have a separate loop for each?

Any help would be appreciated here. I know I have a lot of questions, but I have done a lot of reading and I am not getting the answers that I need.

Thanks again!
Jq

1) Up to you, id personally go piece-by-piece, and get exactly what I want, instead of being "locked in" with a kit

2) FrozenCPU, Aquatuning(Personal Fav), Jab-Tech, and PerformancePCS are what come to mind first

3a) Size - No real difference in cooling capacity, all preference, thicker walled tubing can be easier to work with, YMMV (I use 3/8 ID 1/2 OD)

3b) If using compression, get the size that matches tubing you desire, or vice versa, if using barb fittings get the one that matches the ID of the tubing

4) Compression, has a barb that goes on the inside of the tube, and it "compresses" the outside to hold it in place, and is more aesthetically pleasing, while being more expensive. Barbs, they are as they sound a barb, and you put something around to act as a compression to hold the tube in place (Such as zip ties, or a worm clamp)

5) Put them in the same loop, more loops just confuses the issue, while there *can* be a slight performance gain, it will be negligible unless going for a massive overclock. But again this is preference, on a first time build I would suggest only doing a single loop.

Thanks my friend. I am checking out those sites right now! I appreciate the help!

jab tech has cheaper prices but less selection,

I will get a 360 rad if it fits if not then 2- 240mm (those 290x produce a lot of heat and if mnoise is your concern the more rad space the less rpms in your fans.

I would use 3/8-5/8 or 3/8-1/2

I will also recommend buying used parts, (save a lot)

You can literrary get a whole custome loop for 60% of the cost if you would buy in retail.

DON'T MIX METALS (specially aluminum)

I prefer Compression fittings for the looks :) but its all up to you

Leak test! Paper towel is your friend. I would recommend trying to keep it simple especially for your first attempt. Separate GPU and CPU loops are a little overkill but the aesthetic can't be beat, it really comes down to your own personal preference. I second Frozencpu, a little pricey but have never had any issues with them.

Compression's and tubing are up to you. I like the way far tubing looks, and it has less resistance, however it may be harder to make tight bends. PrimoChill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT has been treating me great.

I'm liking my modmytoys compressions, also consider bitspower and monsoon chain gun compressions. For cheaper compression fittings XSPC makes good ones and some prefer them over bitspower for function, although the finish is limited and maybe not as nice. You can look into EK compressions and fittings and I have heard good things about koolance compressions as well. I used bitspower for all my other non compression fittings and they are good quality, although rotaries can be a bit stiff sometimes (might be a good thing).

The hardest part is buying fittings and figuring out where to mount your pump and reservoir. XSPC has a nice photon out that may or may not work well for you.

I use performance PC and Frozen CPU, although I will have to use performance CPU the next time since frozen does not carry the Q fittings I need to make my drain valve.

Thanks for all the info guys,

I think I am going to get this kit to start with from performance-pcs.com:

http://www.xs-pc.com/watercooling-kits/raystorm-d5-photon-ax360-watercooling-kit

And I am adding this

http://www.xs-pc.com/waterblocks-gpu/razor-r9-290x-290

It looks like the price would be around 450

Thoughts? I would need to get more compression fittings to add the video card to the loop. I have no idea how many or what kind I would need. Any help or links would be awesome on that front.

Is this okay? Should I not get the kit and part it out?

Again, I really appreciate the input and help.

Probably should have asked earlier --- Whats your budget ... My personal rule of thumb is similar to:

1) Kits are good for performance per dollar ... However they do cheap out on some parts, or not the best

2) Assemble yourself, typically you spend a bit more than you would on a kit + extras, however performance is sometimes better, *and* you get exactly what you want, rather than close to what you want

Are you planning on cutting up the case to fit that rad internally or already know you can squeeze it in? Or are you going for the off the back mount?

My wife has an corsair 800D that I might use. If I don't I'll just hang it off the back or get creative with positioning.

As for budget, I would like to do it as efficiently as I can monetarily. If I need to spend $600 bucks I will, but the less I spend (obviously) the better.

I hope the info helps.

My wife has an corsair 800D that I might use. If I don't I'll just hang it off the back or get creative with positioning.

As for budget, I would like to do it as efficiently as I can monetarily. If I need to spend $600 bucks I will, but the less I spend (obviously) the better.

I hope the info helps.

I'd look at that kit closely, understand each of the parts, buying a kit isn't really any easier than putting together your own parts list.

You just need to pick:
Pump : (I suggest D5 if it will fit )
Reservoir: (whatever fits best and is easiest to fill, glass preferable but not required.) Tube reservoirs are easier to fill than bay reservoirs but may be more challenging to mount.
Blocks: many blocks pick out one you like.
Radiator: All of these things are interchangeable so a "kit" doesn't help much.

Compressions and rotary fittings: You will need to figure out how many connections you will make, that will be the number of compression fittings. Do you want a drain valve? That will cost a bit but it is a nice feature. Other fittings depends on where you will mount the Radiator, reservoir etc and how you will route the tubing. A Kit isn't going to help you here, it will come with some stuff but you will still need to figure out all your fittings, 45's 90's rotaries, etc.

Compression fittings are optional and rotaries may not be necessary, additional fittings may not be either, but they help with routing your tubing more cleanly. (LOTS of examples online).
Cheap would be 7/16th id tubing pushed onto 1/2" non-compression barbs and hose-clamps. It won't be pretty but it works fine.

Mount the radiator internally if possible, the end result will be cleaner and more protected.

If your looking to save money you can buy used and get nice stuff.

The kit above has all good and decent stuff, but get some GT fans instead, granted if you get the kit I'd probably just use what it came with to save money. You will still need to buy additional compression fittings for you video card block (2), and any other fittings depending on how you will mount all that stuff. It might require a second order once you get the parts to figure everything out. You might also be able to fit a thicker radiator depending on the case and how many fans you want to mount to it (thicker radiator etc), but that one isn't terrible at all. I would go with aplhacool over XSPC though (coming from XSPC owner), but either will work.

BTW you might look into the aquacomputer waterblock for the 290x. Maybe heatkiller once the review is finished.

Last edited:

I hope the info helps.

Ahh well if you're moving to the 800D you'll be in great shape and i'd suggest adding another 240mm rad while you're at it. It will increase your cooling capacity by quite a bit so you can run the fans slower. Otherwise you have to tear the loop down later to add if you don't think the 360 is sufficient. Basically, the more rad the better :)

And I agree, the gentle typhoon AP-15's are excellent, i was shocked at how much better they were than my old yate loons. But supposedly the supply is gone, might be tough to find.

Last edited:
Last I saw Aquatuning had more than 100 in stock .... just saying :p

But yes, the kit isnt bad, however for slightly more you can get your own setup, especially considering the XSPC fans are not very good (Unless they changed since I got a kit through them, wish I would have gone part/part instead of a kit)

Kit looks good, beware of compression fittings, they certainly look the best but require the most work and research not to mention the cost. In my experience barbed fittings work great in tandem with a hose clamp of some kind. A simple zip tie has proved very reliable for me and inexpensive to boot. What are your plans for fluid?

Kit looks good, beware of compression fittings, they certainly look the best but require the most work and research not to mention the cost. In my experience barbed fittings work great in tandem with a hose clamp of some kind. A simple zip tie has proved very reliable for me and inexpensive to boot. What are your plans for fluid?

xspc compressions are good to go. But you probably mean making sure they will fit on your blocks etc. Seems to be much easier these days. I'm rebuilding my old rig with compressions and It probably would have been cheaper to just buy newer water blocks that had better spacing (4, 45deg rotaries and several extensions later) lol.

i have no idea? What should I use for fluids....I was going to use distilled water. I am open to suggestions!

PS I am going to take some pictures of this thing and post them so you guys can see what we built here.

Distilled water + Silver Kill coil is all ive ever seen need for. You will see it swapped to Mayhemes (Rich people stuff ... ), Water + Kill Coil, or Water + Biocide, all comes down to preference.

XSPC compression fittings are $2.99 each on performance pcs and are great quality and a very good price, i'll never go back to regular barbs and clamps. Not really a back-breaker price wise.

XSPC compression fittings are $2.99 each on performance pcs and are great quality and a very good price, i'll never go back to regular barbs and clamps. Not really a back-breaker price wise.

Hmm, don't have any experience with those particular fittings but at that price I'll have to check them out. With compression fittings one has to pay attention to wall OD along with ID and be sure to cut the hose evenly. In my experience I just find them to be more work.

Back