New to PC Gaming, need recs...

ericeash

n00b
alright, i'm really new to pc gaming as in i've only played simcity on the pc, and diablo 2, and also minesweeper. i have an xbox and was a hardcore halo2 online player, gta, racing games, and splinter cell. anyways, my computer is almost ready to handle a sweet game. i just bought a 360 controller, cause i don't think i'll do well with just a mouse and a keyboard. my current rig is a DFI expert board, opty165 @ 2.6, 2GB DDR500, 2x250gb sata2 in raid 0, and an FX5200. yes, that's right, a badass 5200. that's what i got for now, but Christmas will be bringing a friend, a new 8800gts. so i'm sure i'll have the horsepower then. i don't have an internet connection right now as i'm away from home doing flight training for the USAF for another 4mos, so i'm looking for some sweet games that work well as single player games and will work well with a 360 controller. i've heard of fear, cod2, bf2, fsx, stuff like that, but i know everyone uses a mouse and does multiplayer which i can't do right now. thanks for helping a noob out.

eric

Yea, Keyboard and mouse in a FPS game. It might take some time to get use to it but you'll be a CS God afterwards :)

You do realize that you will have no twitch ability whatsoever with a controller... If you wanna make a split second 180 degree turn with a controller, forget about it. If you wanna be so precise as to shoot a single vein in the enemies eye, please, use a mouse.

jaguax said:
You do realize that you will have no twitch ability whatsoever with a controller... If you wanna make a split second 180 degree turn with a controller, forget about it. If you wanna be so precise as to shoot a single vein in the enemies eye, please, use a mouse.
I've actually become/became (grammar ?) with a controller. I land plent of headshots, I guess its all personal preference.

Halo forced me to acquire skills w/ a controller...but they're no mousing skills. Now my Nunchucks skills... :p

I'm not talking about headshots, I'm talking about shooting individual veins/arteries in the enemies eye. ;)

Seriously though, no matter HOW good you are with a controller, it is not pixel perfect precision. For example, if you were to have an old western style draw/standoff, in which a player needed to point at a specific pixel on screen in the shortest time, do you think you [with a controller] would win over a guy with a mouse? For example, if I needed you to point to x-coordinate 957, and y-coordinate 528, and the pixel was marked red, how fast do you think you could do it with a controller, I'll tell you one thing, no where NEAR as fast as you can do it with a mouse.

Do you realize that a mouse is made for the utmost precision, that is why professional graphics artists use them in Photoshop and whatnot, you have control over EVERY pixel on the screen.

Another test, can you move your crosshair clockwise (or counter) in a circle/square of just 4 pixels with a controller? Multiple times? There is no way. With a mouse this is simple, again, it's made for pixel-perfect precision. So any one of those 1600x1200+ pixels can be pinpointed in under 5 seconds.

Now all of the above is fine and dandy for sniping very far targets, but what about general, up close in your face gameplay like Unreal Tournament.

Again, there is no argument in the reaction time of a controller vs. mouse. Take Halo 2 for example, you can even crank the sensitivity up to maximum, and it will still take you time to do a complete 180 degree turn. With a mouse, this is instant, because it responds to the speed at which you move the mouse. You flick your wrist, and your character is instantly turned around. A joystick on a controller has what, less than 1 inch of movement before you reach maximum tilt?

You know, there is a reason why most console FPS's have an auto-aim feature.

This is really no argument. One can become really good with a controller, FULLY AGREED. I've seen it in Halo, I've seen one guy completely obliterate everybody.

But it is still no match for a mouse for all the reasons I listed above. Imagine playing an Unreal Tournament instagib match (1 hit kill) with a controller, vs a guy with a mouse. Assume equal skill levels. Who wins? This is common sense.

The people who argue that controllers are better than a mouse are generally people who never played a PC game in their life. Spend a couple of hours with a mouse, hell, spend a month with it, and TELL ME that it is not a more efficient killing tool than a thumbstick.

jaguax said:
Do you realize that a mouse is made for the utmost precision, that is why professional graphics artists use them in Photoshop and whatnot, you have control over EVERY pixel on the screen.

Professional graphics artists use tablets.

*ducks*

;)

Use a keyboard and mouse and buy Half-life 2,FEAR, and Quake 4.......just for starters.

I was about to say that the OP should use whatever he's most comfortable with, but then I realized that that comment would probably turn the entire thread into a flamewar.

thanks for all the replies guys. how would HL2, FEAR, COD, and rainbow six vegas do with a controller? i just don't think i'll be able to switch to using a mouse. plus your stuck to being glued to the monitor. i'm guessing mouse action sucks on bedsheets and couch cushions. i definately want to see what these games are all about, but don't think i can be a mouse gamer. thanks for the help guys

You'll be able to play fine with a controller, many people do, the posters are just saying that you'll have better control with keyboard/mouse. :) Using whatever makes it fun for you = best.

I recommend you get used to the keyboard and mouse before you play any game

After the hour or two learning curve on keyboard and mouse you wont want to go back. trust us.

tskiller said:
After the hour or two learning curve on keyboard and mouse you wont want to go back. trust us.

Been using both for years, I frequently "go back" to gamepad all the time...

People can be accurate with a gamepad if they want to. It's possible. You can even beat people playing on keyboard, as I have done before using my old Gravis Xterminator in FEAR Combat.

Back