New to Overclocking - Ryzen/X570/3900X best guides

x509

2[H]4U
Now that my new rig has been running stable for like 5 months at stock settings, I think it's time to push it a bit for better performance.

My rig includes:
  • ASUS ROG X570 Strix-E m'board
  • AMD 3900X CPU
  • 2 x 16 Crucial Ballistix CL 3600 RAM.
Recommendations appreciated for best guides.

Last edited:
best thing to do is tighten ram timings. overclocing ryzen chips may net you good multi-thread workload increases, but single thread will suffer. fwiw, 3900x all core of is like 4.3-4.4 ghz while keeping temps in check.

the new 5xxx chips have some more options for optimizing clocks. but the 3k series is good on auto.

my opinions anyway.

best thing to do is tighten ram timings. overclocing ryzen chips may net you good multi-thread workload increases, but single thread will suffer. fwiw, 3900x all core of is like 4.3-4.4 ghz while keeping temps in check.

the new 5xxx chips have some more options for optimizing clocks. but the 3k series is good on auto.

my opinions anyway.
I am a big user of Adobe Lightroom, which does a lot of multi-threading. On the other hand Adobe Photoshop is single-threaded. Go figure.:( Not sure about MS Office.

Is there a good or best guide to X570 ram timings? (and what exactly all those numbers mean ...)

Out of curiosity, what util do you use to monitor CPU temps?

I am a big user of Adobe Lightroom, which does a lot of multi-threading. On the other hand Adobe Photoshop is single-threaded. Go figure.:( Not sure about MS Office.

Is there a good or best guide to X570 ram timings? (and what exactly all those numbers mean ...)

Out of curiosity, what util do you use to monitor CPU temps?

hi

Lightroom is only multi-threaded when processing multiple raw files ( the equivalent to Bridge)

just my $.02

Reactions: x509
like this
Back