New to overclocking, need help getting more out of this OC

fornarmr

Gawd
Hey guys... I am not a huge computer-building type, so I bought my machine from a boutique and they overclocked the processor to 3.8ghz. I assume it can go a bit higher. Last year I had someone from another forum help me overclock my other machine and it worked great for a long time until I got a new machine.

Here are my specs:

Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz @ 3.8ghz
Noctua NH-D14
EVGA X58 Classified 3X SLI
6GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM
1200W PSU
2x SLI Dual GTX 580 1.5GB Black Ops Edition

I am hoping someone can help me out and let me know if it is possible to get this overclock up a bit higher. I literally know jack about overclocking, but if someone walks me through it, I should be able to do it as I have with some help in the past.

Ummm, not sure how high you can overclock, and not sure why you would want to go higher when you admit that you aren't an expert. You could easily break your system. 3.8 is respectable on that chip. While you might be able to get another 100 or so, it could take significant tweaking to get it there. Are there applications that you are running that you really need the extra 100/200 MHz or is it for epeen? Cause if its for epeen, then people won't worry about you borking your system...

Mostly for Skyrim, which supposedly runs a lot better with a higher clock speed on your processor.

It sounds like you've already got a very fast computer.

What resolution are you trying to play Skyrim at? Based on the Performance And IQ Peview on [H] it sounds like your overclocked i7 and dual 580s should be more than enough to give you a smooth gameplay experience at the highest detail settings with AA and AF turned up at just about any single-monitor resolution. If you're having problems it might be better to try to identify why you're seeing an issue with performance rather than trying to overcome it with an extra hundred MHz of processor.

If it's like ob said, though, and you're just looking for the epeen I can point you to some awesome x58 / socket 1366 overclocking guides.

1920x1200... my machine is a little overkill, but I try to make them last a few years before I upgrade or get something new.

I honestly wouldn't mind trying to get it a bit higher just for the sake of it.

Back