New to overclocking - i7 3770k on asrock z75 lga 1155

Mosie100

Limp Gawd
Hi everyone,
So I'm very new to overclocking -- the only experience I have is just unlocking the turbo boost on my non k CPU that I had prior to this.
I'm going to take some screenshots of what I see in my bios.
But on CPU ID it is currently reading 3.9ghz max.
If anybody can help me walk through the process that would be fantastic I really appreciate all of the help!
Thanks!

Here's what I see:
IMG_7148.jpg
IMG_7149.jpg
IMG_7150.jpg

I've set the CPU multiplier to 41 -- too high?
I also set the offset to .005v and the turbo voltage to +.004v.

I'm running a Prime95 blend test and the self-test 384K passes with a max package temp of around 87C
But then the second test the temp maxes out at 103C
I proceeded to close the test and lower the CPU multiplier.
This is clearly way too high of a temp -- even 87C is a bit much no?

I set everything back to default on my CPU and did a Prime95 blend test. The first test passed with a max temp of 68C
The second test maxes out at 80C and also passes.

What should I be doing here? Should I only move the multiplier up to 40?
It'd be nice to grab 4.0Ghz instead of 3.9... Just to have a small upgrade at least!

Also, what is holding me back from just using the Optimized CPU OC setting that preconfigures to 4.0 or 4.2...??
Wouldn't that be easier?

Last edited:
I'm not sure anyone is following me on my journey here... But I enabled the Advanced Turbo then loaded the optimized GPU OC Setting to 4.2 Ghz. The first Prime95 Test passed with a max temp of 78 and the second test maxed out at 91C
I think this is where I'm just going to keep everything, I don't care if overclock.net said that this is a lazy feature that does a sloppy job -- my temps were out of control when I was attempting to tweak the settings on my own.
If anyone has any thoughts or thinks this is a bad idea let me know! I appreciate any thoughts or comments on this.
Cheers.

I'm not sure anyone is following me on my journey here... But I enabled the Advanced Turbo then loaded the optimized GPU OC Setting to 4.2 Ghz. The first Prime95 Test passed with a max temp of 78 and the second test maxed out at 91C
I think this is where I'm just going to keep everything, I don't care if overclock.net said that this is a lazy feature that does a sloppy job -- my temps were out of control when I was attempting to tweak the settings on my own.
If anyone has any thoughts or thinks this is a bad idea let me know! I appreciate any thoughts or comments on this.
Cheers.

looks good!

If you want to mess around more, take a pic of what it says the voltages are while using that optimized OC setting. Then you can go back and manuall set the same and test, should work. Then go back and reduce voltages a tad to see if you can get better temps but are still stable

you should for sure be able to lower your DRAM voltage down to what your memory says which is likely 1.5v which is standard for ddr3

Those temps are way too high. You either need to buy a better HSF or you applied too much compound. Stock voltage with a +.005 usually results in ~1.275 and for stock speed with a boost to 4Ghz you don't even need that much.

Those temps are way too high. You either need to buy a better HSF or you applied too much compound. Stock voltage with a +.005 usually results in ~1.275 and for stock speed with a boost to 4Ghz you don't even need that much.

lol 1.275 it's more than what my 3770K need for 4.5ghz... for 4.2ghz you can even undervolt a 3770K easily. but temps are fine, those are what it should be with an undelidded 3770K. those chips together with the 4770K are known for easily reach 100C under prime95.

lol 1.275 it's more than what my 3770K need for 4.5ghz... for 4.2ghz you can even undervolt a 3770K easily. but temps are fine, those are what it should be with an undelidded 3770K. those chips together with the 4770K are known for easily reach 100C under prime95.

Yeah I forgot to mention stop using P95. Use an x264 loop instead. Stay away from anything that uses AVX instructions basically.

My 3570k runs 4.3 on -.050v offset. And hits 70c on an old S1283. 3770k may need a little more voltage and be a little hotter due to Hyperthreading

Yeah I forgot to mention stop using P95. Use an x264 loop instead. Stay away from anything that uses AVX instructions basically.

What test do you recommend? Also starting my OC on a 3770K soon (asus motherboard Z68) and wanna know how m00sie gets on with his first though. Those temps are a bit up there, doesnt 3770K throttle at 95 or 105?

What test do you recommend? Also starting my OC on a 3770K soon (asus motherboard Z68) and wanna know how m00sie gets on with his first though. Those temps are a bit up there, doesnt 3770K throttle at 95 or 105?

yes, the 3770K have a Tjunction of 105C. and after 4.5ghz it will reach easily 85C+ all the way up to 100C depending on your luck regarding the crappy TIM intel used on those chips.. anyway I won't regret ever of my good old 3770K, longest CPU I have used, I bought on day one and that machine its still running great.

It ran fine at 4.5ghz for years with gaming temps at 55C-68C depending on the game, but it will reach almost instant 90C under Prime95 27.9 (nonAVX) non-delidded, at the end of last year I delidded and overclocked to 4.8ghz sustaining even better stress temps with the increased clocks and voltage.. nice chip.

about testing, I always recommend Asus RealTemp on Benchmarks Loops (not the stress test) as it will represent worst case scenarios on realworld without produce unrealistic AVX Loads, you can also use Aida64 FPU+CPU Test and if you want to use prime95 then try with the version 27.9 SmallFFTs.

yes, the 3770K have a Tjunction of 105C. and after 4.5ghz it will reach easily 85C+ all the way up to 100C depending on your luck regarding the crappy TIM intel used on those chips.. anyway I won't regret ever of my good old 3770K, longest CPU I have used, I bought on day one and that machine its still running great.

It ran fine at 4.5ghz for years with gaming temps at 55C-68C depending on the game, but it will reach almost instant 90C under Prime95 27.9 (nonAVX) non-delidded, at the end of last year I delidded and overclocked to 4.8ghz sustaining even better stress temps with the increased clocks and voltage.. nice chip.

about testing, I always recommend Asus RealTemp on Benchmarks Loops (not the stress test) as it will represent worst case scenarios on realworld without produce unrealistic AVX Loads, you can also use Aida64 FPU+CPU Test and if you want to use prime95 then try with the version 27.9 SmallFFTs.
Anything wrong with OCT?

This was exceptionally helpful. I sent my 3770K off to be delidded and if I hit 4.5 ill consider myself lucky :D

Cheers.
what heatsink are you using?

you should only apply extra voltage, as needed. It seems like you don't fully understand what you are doing.

I would recommend following a guide and making small changes. Rebooting many many times. It's tedious. But, you will learn a lot about how each change affects your system.

Back