New to NVME SSD - are these speeds ok?

Gil80

n00b
Hi.
Using Crucial P2 2TB PCIe M.2 2280SS SSD with Intel Core i9 11900KF PCIe 4.0.

I did this benchmark but I'm not sure if these speeds are good for this drive.
appreciate your help

1620493385576.png

Attachments

• SSD bench 1GB.png
    SSD bench 1GB.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 0
Terrible. Send it to me for free disposal, and buy a Quantum Big Foot.

OK, real answer. That's actually way too fast for that drive. You must have some kind of caching enabled.

Terrible. Send it to me for free disposal, and buy a Quantum Big Foot.

OK, real answer. That's actually way too fast for that drive. You must have some kind of caching enabled.

I have momentum cache enabled. I didn't run a before and after tests but I'm just not too sure what to expect. happy to know it's good.

I actually thought it should show PCIe Interface 4 because the motherboard supports pci 4 and the cpu supports it as well.
I use Gigabyte Z590i with the Core i9 11900KF, so I don't understand why it doesn't show PCIe 4.

I have momentum cache enabled. I didn't run a before and after tests but I'm just not too sure what to expect. happy to know it's good.
Yeah, you have to turn that off in order for the benchmark results to mean anything. It's rated for 2.4GB/sec seq read /1.9GB seq write, so it should be close to that if it's brand new (or recently secure-erased).

Reactions: Gil80
like this
Yeah, you have to turn that off in order for the benchmark results to mean anything. It's rated for 2.4GB/sec seq read /1.9GB seq write, so it should be close to that if it's brand new (or recently secure-erased).
no cache SSD bench 1GB.png

These are the speeds without the momentum cache

Wow those speeds in OP's original post are awesome. Nothing wrong with enabling momentum cache on it. I had just got a new WD Black SN850 Nvme M.2 and wasn't scoring it's rated read speeds of 7K. Not even 6k. More like 5.3 :meh:. After clearing cmos, resetting my clocks and nothing else, it showed more of it's potenial speeds of 6.7. Installed PrimeCache and using Western Digital's dashboard software and enabling "Game Mode", I'm able to tweak it and now I'm happy with it's results.

This is [H], you go ahead and tweak the shit out of it!

Bench1.JPG

Is there an nvme that supports pcie 4
Yes. Quite a few. The current fastest SSDs for consumers are the WD Black SN850, the Samsung 980 PRO, and the Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus. They're all PCIe 4.0 and very fast.

does it increase speeds or benefit in any way?
Not for most people no. If you don't specifically *need* faster storage - as in you are doing something that is *specifically* I/O intensive especially sequentially intensive - then there is practically no difference in perceived speed from one SSD to another. If you're just gaming, there is currently almost zero difference from even a SATA SSD to a NVMe one, let alone any difference between different NVMe ones.

Yes. Quite a few. The current fastest SSDs for consumers are the WD Black SN850, the Samsung 980 PRO, and the Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus. They're all PCIe 4.0 and very fast.

Not for most people no. If you don't specifically *need* faster storage - as in you are doing something that is *specifically* I/O intensive especially sequentially intensive - then there is practically no difference in perceived speed from one SSD to another. If you're just gaming, there is currently almost zero difference from even a SATA SSD to a NVMe one, let alone any difference between different NVMe ones.
Thanks for the info.

Lastly, I'd like to explain the reason for my confusion.
When I got this CPU and motherboard combo (I won it in a competition) I was told that PCIe 4 is available with Intel 11900 CPU and the Gigabyte Z590i motherboard.
The Gigabyte manual/spec is saying that out of the 2 M.2 slots, one will be PICe 4 when using 11900 CPUs.
So I automatically assumed that I got a PCIe 4 enabled nvme ssd.

p.s. - this motherboard has one m.2 connection on the front side and on the back side. the front one should support the pcie 4.

Intel 11th gen CPUs do indeed support PCIe 4, but the slot is backward compatible; in reality the slot supports *up to* PCIe 4, but will operate at the maximum speed of whatever you plug into it. If you plug in a PCIe 4 drive, you get 4.0 speeds. If you plug in a PCIe 3.0 drive, you get 3.0 speeds, and so on and so forth.

In most cases it's not worth worrying about, most SSDs are fast enough for most needs!

In most cases it's not worth worrying about, most SSDs are fast enough for most needs!
+1

I have a Samsung 950 Pro 512GB NVMe and a Crucial MX500 1TB SATA in my main system. The NVMe benches about 4 times faster on every test, but if I move a game from the NVMe to the SATA, the load times barely change at all. If I move a game to the 4TB HDD, the load times double or triple.

Back