New to mATX, a few questions

Rhialto

Gawd
Was looking for a case with a windw that will also show the RaptorX then I saw Thermaltake LANBox that I like BUT only accept mATX, no ATX.

So I read a bit here and from what I understand, there is no real marvel in the mATX world. Most come with integrated video?

I'd like an enthusiast/gamer motherboard that will let me get an E4300 from 200FSB 1.8GHz to 366/400FSB 2.2GHz or close to that. Something that is common with ATX mb like Bad Axe 2, DS3, etc.

There currently is no great mATX overclocker for Conroe comparable to those.

So all those going to LANparty, what do they got? Do they go play with toy box showing LEDs and all? I thought they were having killer machine but again I never went to a LANparty.

Was looking for a case with a windw that will also show the RaptorX then I saw Thermaltake LANBox that I like BUT only accept mATX, no ATX.

So I read a bit here and from what I understand, there is no real marvel in the mATX world. Most come with integrated video?

I'd like an enthusiast/gamer motherboard that will let me get an E4300 from 200FSB 1.8GHz to 366/400FSB 2.2GHz or close to that. Something that is common with ATX mb like Bad Axe 2, DS3, etc.

You can get a few HTPC cases that will show off the RaptorX actually.

mATX has a few new boards coming out for Conroe which might prove to be great...they are due out in the next few weeks (in theory) so we will see what happend. The integrated video is not a big deal as you can add a different video card.

Also on the AM2 side the Abit 6150 micro atx board is one of the best O/Cing boards out on the AM2 side. Don't dismiss MATX till you know the facts. Most well put together MATX's are just as good as your average desktop, but they are much smaller.

I think C2D has the wave now and is the way to go... until AMD make a comeback with something than can rival Intel offer now (perf/price).

I'm still looking around what the SFF world have to offer. I would still love to get a LANBox from Thermaltake but I just read the minute before from a user review that if you mount the RaptorX so you see it then you cannot add another HD and I need to be able to run 2 HD (second is not a X anyway).

I can't beleive it is so hard to get a windowed case that will satisfy my needs. That LANBox was perfect until I find out it was mATX and that mATX was not for enthusiast/gamer. I may just continu with a no window case like I have always have.

I would say if you want to build a mATX machine and overclock then that buying a $105 cpu (x2 3600 Brisbane AM2) is the way to go (with the above mentioned abit 6150 board)

FSB set to 333 x multi 9.5 = 3.0Ghz, IMO that is the best bang for the buck dual core mATX setup. (Plus DDR2 667 RAM can be found really cheap now)

I think C2D has the wave now and is the way to go... until AMD make a comeback with something than can rival Intel offer now (perf/price).

I'm still looking around what the SFF world have to offer. I would still love to get a LANBox from Thermaltake but I just read the minute before from a user review that if you mount the RaptorX so you see it then you cannot add another HD and I need to be able to run 2 HD (second is not a X anyway).

I can't beleive it is so hard to get a windowed case that will satisfy my needs. That LANBox was perfect until I find out it was mATX and that mATX was not for enthusiast/gamer. I may just continu with a no window case like I have always have.

As I said, HTPC offers some cases to display that harddrive

Also, the MicroFly has windows, the SG01 has windows, and as you found out the LANBOX has windows. Take a look at those :)

lol, many people game competitively on shitty pc's. You don't need much power to be a gamer

I would say if you want to build a mATX machine and overclock then that buying a $105 cpu (x2 3600 Brisbane AM2) is the way to go (with the above mentioned abit 6150 board)

I went on the ABIT site, is it the NF-M2? I may wait a few weeks and see what will be available for the Core2Duo.

Also, the MicroFly has windows, the SG01 has windows, and as you found out the LANBOX has windows. Take a look at those :)

Thanks, I've looked at all of them. The LANBox would be my choice but now looking for a mATX motherboard and also if LANBox accept a 2nd HD when we place the rack so we see the RaptorX.

I'm also looking for all the smallest standard case that welcome an ATX size so I don't know which way I'll go.

I dont know if your into modding but anything can be modded to fit. My Antec NSX 1300 barely could fit 1 HDD but after some serious surgery i got 2 Seagate 300GB.

Also who says you cant have a killer MATX? As long as you can get a decent mobo that can be OC'd you can get away with stuffing an 8800GTX or dual GPU. Although the mobo isnt to OC friendly (EVGA 131..) im running dual 7800GTX. Im almost positive that this will be our year. These mobo manuf. seems like their taking notice to us SFF'ers.

I have a Tt Lanbox (actually i have 2 now. wife bought me one for valentines :) ) and they're HUGE. There is no problem with space. Just have to be creative. My goal ths ar is to be ike Capt.Kirk and go where no man has gone before. :D

SFF till i DIE!!!:cool:

I have a Tt Lanbox (actually i have 2 now. wife bought me one for valentines :) ) and they're HUGE.

Not enough HUGE to welcome an ATX! :)

I'm not a serious modder. Always had plain case and this time was ready to get one with a window. Since it will be to display I won't hide it under desk like now so I wanted it small to fit on desktop without taking all the place. Lastly, I'd like to see the RaptorX in the window.

Since you got a LANBox, what do you think of the power/reset button? I read a review saying it was very cheap and sad to see that on such a case.

well, I just reread that mostly you wanted a case to display the Raptor.

Steeeeve knows just about every mATX known to mankind (or the Cavemen if they weren't busy buying Geico).

Some cases could show it with some minor modding, some with relocating the drive.

Thanks, I've looked at all of them. The LANBox would be my choice but now looking for a mATX motherboard and also if LANBox accept a 2nd HD when we place the rack so we see the RaptorX.

I'm also looking for all the smallest standard case that welcome an ATX size so I don't know which way I'll go.

I think the smallest case that takes ATX is the Antec NSK4400 which I own. It's not bad, the mobo is a PITA to get in, at least on mine, the panels don't fit quite right, and hard drive cooling is a pain. I have a 120mm leaning on the fan cage in front at an angle to cool my lower HD and I'm going to get a Vantec 701A HDD cooler for my other drive. I just need to watch out that it doesn't add too much height so the screws don't fit because the drives sit on those little tabs.

Back