New to Intel, need board for 3770k

RedTalon19

Supreme [H]ardness
I am looking to upgrade my current system listed in my sig. I want to switch from AMD to Intel for the first time in my life :eek: but I'd also like to keep everything else so I'm looking to replace only the CPU and mobo (and RAM if necessary, please comment if so).

I think I've decided to go with a 3770k. I like to play around with OCing but don't have a need for it, so its not a priority. However, I do want a top performing system and I'm willing to pay for it (if necessary).

I assume I'm looking for a Z77 board, right? After doing some research on my own I've run into some issues. First, my Lian Li PC-9F says it supports only up to ATX. That becomes a problem when trying to find a mobo that will support my 2x6970s AND still has a free PCI slot for my Asus Xonar D2. Currently it sits just above the 2nd card, but still has enough room for good airflow for the 1st card.

So, is there a good quality board that will allow me to use 2x6970s AND a still has a PCI slot in good positioning for airflow to the 1st card? I'd really like to keep all other components and only replace the CPU and mobo (and RAM if necessary, please comment if so).

The ASRock z77 Extreme6 lets you install two graphics cards and keep a PCI slot free for a soundcard. The soundcard does get sandwiched inbetween the two graphics cards but it doesn't block the air intakes on reference design coolers. The reason I chose the extreme6 was because I run SLi and have a Auzentech X-Prelude. But recently I am beginning to wonder if I even need a soundcard. I recently tried swapping out my X-Prelude for the onboard realtek ALC898, and I couldn't tell much of a difference. Ever since Vista/Windows 7 killed Directsound3D, the only games to use 3D audio hardware are OpenAL games which is basically only Unreal 3 engine games. And CPU's are getting so fast now that the impact of audio processing is barely noticed.

Oh wow, bit in the ass for assuming he meant PCI-E when he said PCI... Wow... The onboard sound on the Maximus V Formula is probably about as good as that 5 year old Asus Xonar D2 anyway...

Asus P8Z77-V Pro is another option, PCI slot is at the very bottom, so you can use 2X dual slot GPUs without any issues (and the GPUs are spaced by another PCI-e slot so they can breathe). I like Asus UEFI and software design.

I would not spend the money on the Maximus Formula/Extreme unless you are doing extreme overclocking.

get an asus maximus V gene or V formula. You really shouldn't be building a system around some 5 year old parts, it really hurts your choices, especially now that PCI is being axed from so many boards completely.

get an asus maximus V gene or V formula. You really shouldn't be building a system around some 5 year old parts, it really hurts your choices, especially now that PCI is being axed from so many boards completely.

This is a very valid point, hadn't really thought of it that way till now. "Upgrading" from a independent sound card to an integrated sounds totally foreign to me, particularity if it was a CMedia chip or something but I see the Maximus V Formula has a "Supreme FX IV" chip? Sounds decent on paper but has anybody compared/reviewed it yet?

My other concern is size. The Formula V is an EATX board, with a width of 10.1" which is only half an inch bigger than my current mobo, peeking inside the case it looks like I have barely enough room to fit it. The SATA connectors might be a bitch tho...
EDIT - just read that its not quite as wide as an EATX but still slightly bigger than an ATX - right in the middle between the two.

So, upgrading from an 1100T to a 3770K... how big of a performance gain am I looking at? Currently I'm playing through Metro 2033 and its taxing my system to its limits.

Supreme FX IV is the realtek alc898 codec with a metallic shield to reduce interference. It also comes with Creative's X-Fi MB2 for software emulation of EAX, CMSS3D, X-Fi Crystalizer etc.

Bit the bullet on the Maximus V Formula, 3770K and 16GB GB Corsair Vengeance RAM. Hopefully the on-board sound doesn't totally suck. I can always use my external DAC + headphones if it really bothers me that much.
Thanks for all the input :D

Enjoy man! Especially that wifi and msata slot!!!

Back