New to Intel 13th Gen - Anti Bend Bracket

I have. I originally wanted the Thermal Grizzly bracket but they were impossible to get early own and cost too much. I got this one from Amazon and it works very nicely....https://www.amazon.com/CHEUKCHI-LGA17XX-BCF. I have since gotten the Thirmal Grizzly and found it practically impossible to install correctly. You really need a torque screwdriver to do the job right. The Cheukchi or Thermalright have pads on the mounting holes and are designed to contact the motherboard with just the right amount of pressure. The Thermal Grizzly doesn't contact the board and relies on precise torque which is impossible to replicate. Also the screws on many motherboards socket are too short to work with the Thermal Grizzly. I'd get the Thermalright and expect a reduction in temps of up to 5C

I have. I originally wanted the Thermal Grizzly bracket but they were impossible to get early own and cost too much. I got this one from Amazon and it works very nicely....https://www.amazon.com/CHEUKCHI-LGA17XX-BCF. I have since gotten the Thirmal Grizzly and found it practically impossible to install correctly. You really need a torque screwdriver to do the job right. The Cheukchi or Thermalright have pads on the mounting holes and are designed to contact the motherboard with just the right amount of pressure. The Thermal Grizzly doesn't contact the board and relies on precise torque which is impossible to replicate. Also the screws on many motherboards socket are too short to work with the Thermal Grizzly.
How are your temps? Some of the reviews showed that for 13th gen there wasn't much of a difference so maybe Intel fixed the issue with 13th gen.

I got a solid 5C drop with a 12700K. Where did you see 13th gen with bracket reviews ?

The reviews on Amazon. 1 person didn't see any drops with 13700K. 1 person saw a 4c drop with the 13900K.
It depends on your motherboard and also the mounting hardware for your cooler.

A. some 12th/13th gen motherboards bend a lot. Some do not. Generally, the nicer boards with 10 and 12 layer PCB, probably are the ones which bend less.
B. If your cooler has a really thick backplate, that helps keep the motherboard from bending. If you can, install the backplate BEFORE installing the CPU. This helps keep the board straight. A board which bends less + a thick backplate, means your probably won't see any real improvement with that thermalright bracket.
C. However, if your board bends or if your cooler doesn't have a nice backplate, that bracket can help a lot. usually around 3 -5c. Some people get close to 10c improvement. Watch a video on how to install it. You don't tighten the screws really tight.

It depends on your motherboard and also the mounting hardware for your cooler.

A. some 12th/13th gen motherboards bend a lot. Some do not. Generally, the nicer boards with 10 and 12 layer PCB, probably are the ones which bend less.
B. If your cooler has a really thick backplate, that helps keep the motherboard from bending. If you can, install the backplate BEFORE installing the CPU. This helps keep the board straight. A board which bends less + a thick backplate, means your probably won't see any real improvement with that thermalright bracket.
C. However, if your board bends or if your cooler doesn't have a nice backplate, that bracket can help a lot. usually around 3 -5c. Some people get close to 10c improvement. Watch a video on how to install it. You don't tighten the screws really tight.
Thank you for that info. Sounds like I might not need it but it doesn't hurt to use it. The question is if I want to go ahead and install the bracket or try it without to see how that performs. Decisions decisions.

Thank you for that info. Sounds like I might not need it but it doesn't hurt to use it. The question is if I want to go ahead and install the bracket or try it without to see how that performs. Decisions decisions.
do both, post your results
also, there are several thread about these. if you use the search button i bet you could find them. i think kyle even posted his result somewhere around here.

I noticed that some people recommend Anti Bend Bracket for better thermals for Intel 12 and 13th gen. Anyone here use this before:
https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright...5-497a-b3e0-1d3f77a9802a&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mi

Wasn't sure if I need to invest and use this with my new 13900K build.
I have used these brackets since they came out and have had great results. I currently use them in both my Intel builds (see sig), and they work great. Very easy install and temps are roughly 5C better than the stock mechanism.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have. I originally wanted the Thermal Grizzly bracket but they were impossible to get early own and cost too much. I got this one from Amazon and it works very nicely....https://www.amazon.com/CHEUKCHI-LGA17XX-BCF. I have since gotten the Thirmal Grizzly and found it practically impossible to install correctly. You really need a torque screwdriver to do the job right. The Cheukchi or Thermalright have pads on the mounting holes and are designed to contact the motherboard with just the right amount of pressure. The Thermal Grizzly doesn't contact the board and relies on precise torque which is impossible to replicate. Also the screws on many motherboards socket are too short to work with the Thermal Grizzly. I'd get the Thermalright and expect a reduction in temps of up to 5C
How much did you tighten the Thermalright bracket? I have one on an MSI ITX + 12700K and used DerBauer's method (finger tighten diagonally + one final 90 degree turn of each screw). It seems fine - all RAM works properly and temps dropped maybe 3-4*C. I just bought a Thermal Grizzly bracket for my 13900K build, maybe I should return that and get another Thermalright instead.

Wow this product is priced good.

My question is, since I have the latest new EKWB Quantum Velocity 2 CPU block with a very rigid backplate that it uses to mount the block, I feel like this product isn't needed? Is this correct?

How hard is it to install this new top mount?

My question is, since I have the latest new EKWB Quantum Velocity 2 CPU block with a very rigid backplate that it uses to mount the block, I feel like this product isn't needed? Is this correct?

Thermalright has a video

Thermalright video

They don't talk about the screws. You only lightly secure them. Once they start to feel tight, do an additional 1/4 - 1/2 turn, and that's it.

Here is another video of the same frame, with a different brand name:

until the screws stop. they are designed to bottom out. not sure where people are getting their info and using the thermal griz instructions for the TR model i
Oh I don’t know - maybe when I bought the TR one it had literally just come out of a factory in China and there was zero documentation or even much discussion about them online? The only reason I bought the TR at the time was because the Thermal Grizzly was completely out of stock. FWIW the TR bracket works just fine how I installed it - I was merely curious about the proper way (if there is one now).

I just bought one of these from Amazon should be coming in this week along with the 13900 KS looking forward to installing them with the ekwb Quantum velocity 2 block

I noticed that some people recommend Anti Bend Bracket for better thermals for Intel 12 and 13th gen. Anyone here use this before:
https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright...5-497a-b3e0-1d3f77a9802a&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mi

Wasn't sure if I need to invest and use this with my new 13900K build.
Absolutely recommend the bracket to afford your CPU the best contact with the cold plate of your cooler. If you don't use the bracket, the motherboard flexes and the contact with the CPU is not as consistent as it should be. I am using the Thermalright myself. Though nearly any of the brackets on the market will do, if you're counting your pennies.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Absolutely recommend the bracket to afford your CPU the best contact with the cold plate of your cooler. If you don't use the bracket, the motherboard flexes and the contact with the CPU is not as consistent as it should be. I am using the Thermalright myself. Though nearly any of the brackets on the market will do, if you're counting your pennies.
I went ahead and ordered the TR one. With the backplate for my AIO, I don't think it would have been an issue but for $12 the worst case the temps are the same and the best case it is 2-5c cooler. I will follow GN review and slowing lower it down until it stops.

I went ahead and ordered the TR one. With the backplate for my AIO, I don't think it would have been an issue but for $12 the worst case the temps are the same and the best case it is 2-5c cooler. I will follow GN review and slowing lower it down until it stops.
I have a mid range Z790 MB, the MSI Tomahawk. Didn't want to risk the MB flex and wanted to just drop my cooler in place and be done with it. I have had zero issues and my Arctic II 280 has been doing a damn fine job of allowing my 13900K to clock well. It's clocking in so well I'm nearly matching the 13900KS in outright performance.

It's mildly humorous that we're back to damaging CPU's doing basic installation steps like we were with AMD back in the Athlon XP days.

Do these engineers not learn lessons on designing these things?

Edit: I suppose it's always possible to have a dumber consumer too when releasing products, just asking an obvious question.

Difference between German precision over-engineering and Chinese good-enough. Sometimes the precision can lead to impracticability. Thermalright also sells a contact frame for AM5, that likely does more as a CPU guard for the IHS cutouts than as something necessary to prevent motherboard stress bending.

It's mildly humorous that we're back to damaging CPU's doing basic installation steps like we were with AMD back in the Athlon XP days.

Edit: I suppose it's always possible to have a dumber consumer too when releasing products, just asking an obvious question.
I reckon it's because people would ruin things trying to install a few screws lol. The latch is more dummy proof 😄

GN talked about this. It was Intel cost cutting. And frankly it's pathetic considering that mobo's are now commonly north of $500 and they slashed prices on the mounting solution.

Last edited:
Just a thought when considering anti bending brackets. As it seems the mounting pressure is critical for best performance, doesn't the CPU cooler add pressure to the CPU ?. This would seem to negate any carefully applied pressure from the mounting bracket.

Just a thought when considering anti bending brackets. As it seems the mounting pressure is critical for best performance, doesn't the CPU cooler add pressure to the CPU ?. This would seem to negate any carefully applied pressure from the mounting bracket.
The bending brackets impact on hs mounting is it's ability to keep the ihs truly flat. It doesn't interfere with heatsink mounting (see pic). Where as the original doesn't have the rigidity needed. It allows the socket and often the entire mb to flex or bow. Heatsink brackets mounted through the backplate are still applying the same pressure as they normally would.
In short, the bending brackets generally improve cooling significantly due to the above.

Edit- An example of the afore mentioned flexing and bending. My first z690 mb visibly bowed when I installed the CPU and closed the arm before installing it in my bench. With the bending bracket in place there was no bowing at all.

Attachments

• IMG_20230121_010748587_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230121_010748587_HDR.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Which bracket did you use ?
The bending brackets impact on hs mounting is it's ability to keep the ihs truly flat. It doesn't interfere with heatsink mounting (see pic). Where as the original doesn't have the rigidity needed. It allows the socket and often the entire mb to flex or bow. Heatsink brackets mounted through the backplate are still applying the same pressure as they normally would.
In short, the bending brackets generally improve cooling significantly due to the above.

Edit- An example of the afore mentioned flexing and bending. My first z690 mb visibly bowed when I installed the CPU and closed the arm before installing it in my bench. With the bending bracket in place there was no bowing at all.
Which bracket did you use ?

I installed the thermalright bracket on my new 13900KS. Install was the easiest thing ever. I have no temps to compare to because this is a new CPU installed with the new bracket but it is running unusually cool lol. I do have 3 radiators also but initial spikes are reasonably probably cause of the bracket +EKWB Quantum Velocity 2 block which went together like a charm.

Want to buy the Thermalright on Amazon. There's one for $17 and one for $12 that says "Fully Fitted and Fixed without trace installation". Anybody know what the difference is ?

I installed the thermalright bracket on my new 13900KS. Install was the easiest thing ever. I have no temps to compare to because this is a new CPU installed with the new bracket but it is running unusually cool lol. I do have 3 radiators also but initial spikes are reasonably probably cause of the bracket +EKWB Quantum Velocity 2 block which went together like a charm.
Same with mine. It only took a few minutes to pull the original bracket and mount the Thermalright. I don't have anything to compare my 13700k to either as its also a new build but its running nice and chilly on my test bench with a Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120se and quiet curve. I will have that to compare to once I swap everything into my loop but not apples to apples obviously. Better than nothing tho. Memory tweaking is taking up ALOT of time right now.
For $10 these should come standard for any socket 1700 CPU imo. Intels typical penny pinching is wholly unacceptable. Eliminating the chance of my mb bowing and/or the socket flexing is cheap insurance.
Want to buy the Thermalright on Amazon. There's one for $17 and one for $12 that says "Fully Fitted and Fixed without trace installation". Anybody know what the difference is ?
Post a link. It sounds like marketing hooha. The pics will tell whats what.

Edit- the $12 one is the correct one. The grey just isn't as popular.

Last edited:
Same with mine. It only took a few minutes to pull the original bracket and mount the Thermalright. I don't have anything to compare my 13700k to either as its also a new build but its running nice and chilly on my test bench with a Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120se and quiet curve. I will have that to compare to once I swap everything into my loop but not apples to apples obviously. Better than nothing tho. Memory tweaking is taking up ALOT of time right now.
For $10 these should come standard for any socket 1700 CPU imo. Intels typical penny pinching is wholly unacceptable. Eliminating the chance of my mb bowing and/or the socket flexing is cheap insurance.

Post a link. It sounds like marketing hooha. The pics will tell whats what.

Edit- the $12 one is the correct one. The grey just isn't as popular.
The funny thing is i ordered the black one and got sent the silver/grey one lol I don't care because it isn't visible though.

Also, I didn't really screw it down all the way according to the Gamers Nexus review because maybe it would put too much pressure on the cpu. But I feel like the stock wonky bracket put a hell of a lot more force down on the cpu vs the way this thermal right is recommended? I mean maybe it doesn't matter because the thermal right is perfectly evenly distributing the pressure, but I was fighting the urge to tighten it down more because of gamers nexus recommendation.

The funny thing is i ordered the black one and got sent the silver/grey one lol I don't care because it isn't visible though.

Also, I didn't really screw it down all the way according to the Gamers Nexus review because maybe it would put too much pressure on the cpu. But I feel like the stock wonky bracket put a hell of a lot more force down on the cpu vs the way this thermal right is recommended? I mean maybe it doesn't matter because the thermal right is perfectly evenly distributing the pressure, but I was fighting the urge to tighten it down more because of gamers nexus recommendation.
Figures, your right tho. Once your blocks installed...she gone lol.
Hmmm, I can't say. I didn't see the gn video. I just tightened them down like a cpu block until they bottomed out and called it good. I hear ya as far as the original goes, the original warped my z690 Asrock extreme mb bad. Granted it was a 6 layer cheapie but still, there's no reason for it to have turned it into a bowl just from inserting the CPU.

Temps have been solid so far, so I assume the plate is doing it's job. Altho, I did use the tf7 paste that came with it to see if that was any good (seems fine, a bit dry, possibly old stock) but again, no point of reference. I will go back to pk3 when I transfer everything into my case and get the loop set up for peace of mind.
I will double check the screws and paste spread at that point to confirm of course but time isn't on my side :(

Here is the vid. He recommended only half a turn more as soon as you feel resistance. Not even close to screwing it down all the way which is what I wanted to do lol.

I've put the thermaltake bracket on all of my 12th and 13th gen CPUs. Seems to do a significantly better job when the CPU is under load with my EK 360 AIO. I also noticed a pretty good paste spread using a "x" method.

My TF7 was also dry and almost unusable since it was difficult to spread.

I wouldn't call TF7 "dry". It is a bit thick, but its designed to resist pump out. I normally use TF8, which is a wetter past. Temps between the two are indistinguishable.

TFX (TF10) is also thicker. But manages to be very slightly better, still.

My MSI S360 comes with paste preapplied. Do you think that is good enough or should I clean it and use different paste?

If your bracket came with TF7, I would use it. Its good stuff.
I haven't found anywhere that states what compound they use but tomshardware used Arctic MX-4. I am thinking they cleaned it off and used that for review comparisons. Surely it has some good stuff pre-applied since it is a halo product.

Back