New to fiber. Need help getting this to work

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
Router is RJ45 gigabit.

Switch has 2 10 SFP+ ports.

I want to connect the router to the switch via fiber. What do I need to make this work?

Thanks

You'd have to use an adapter like this: Linky

My question for you is this: Why do you need to hook the router up to the switch over fiber? Just run the Cat5E cable, and reserve your SFP+ ports for trunking or servers.

Last 2 years in a row I've been hit by lightning and both times it obviously came in thru the cable/mobem. It fried both and several NICs and 2 switches. I'd like to avoid a repeat this year by opto isolating the modem/router from the switch via optical cable.

I have a TP-Link converter like the one in your link and i also have some 1gb and 10gb GBIC modules but nothing I've tried works. I'm not sure about compatibility between the various GBIcs and the 10gb port in the switch (is it compatable with 1gb GBICs???). I do know that the 10gb ports in the switch are working because I have a server that works plugged into either port. I thinks it's a compatibility issue but google only leads to others who are as confused as I am.

Why not use a surge protector? This one should work out pretty well, and there are multiple UPSs online that support surge protecting both RJ-45 and Coax.

Granted, I'm not sure how well those'll hold up to lightning...

What is the brand model of the router and switch?

Depending on what it is, you may have to run GBIC modules made specifically for that brand/model.

Some brands can run generic, while others have to have ones with a firmware specifically made for it.

Why not use a surge protector? This one should work out pretty well, and there are multiple UPSs online that support surge protecting both RJ-45 and Coax.

Granted, I'm not sure how well those'll hold up to lightning...

Surge protectors do nothing for surges that come through the ground which is what lightening does a lot of the time.

Or when some lame worker switches ground and hot... No, I am not bitter. :mad:

Surge protectors don't work hence the desire to move to optical. I could beat on Comcast as it seems the surges are coming in on their cable but I'd rather beat on a rock.

Think I've found an answer. On another forum someone stated that SM and MM are not compatible so I think that's my problem. Just ordered another TP-Link converter to convert back to RJ46 before going to the switch. I wanted to go directly to the switch to save the expense of a second converter and GBIC but o well.....

Wouldn't you just need to get a GBIC that is compatible with your switch to plug into the media converter instead of getting another media converter setup? You didn't mention which end is single mode and which end is multimode but it looks like converter accepts GBICs to handle either.

I've tried both 1gb and 10gb GBICs and neither worked. I assume the switch is MM whereas the converter is SM.

It'll be the gbic's that are either SM or MM, not the switch. The SFP port is purely electrical, the difference between SM and MM is the wavelength of light used amongst other things.

It'll be the gbic's that are either SM or MM, not the switch. The SFP port is purely electrical, the difference between SM and MM is the wavelength of light used amongst other things.

Thanks for that.

I'm working with the following GBICs

1. TP-Link TL-SM311LM - 1000Base SX MMF

2. Finisar (HP - J4858A) - 1000Base SX MMF

3. Finisar FTLF8528P2BCV-QL - 8.5gb

No combo works.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I actual like using the fiber converters for this especially when using wireless with a cpe on the roof.
Put the converter and the modem/cpe on a separate ups on a separate line then run fiber to another converter then wired to the switch.

Thanks for that.

I'm working with the following GBICs

1. TP-Link TL-SM311LM - 1000Base SX MMF

2. Finisar (HP - J4858A) - 1000Base SX MMF

3. Finisar FTLF8528P2BCV-QL - 8.5gb

No combo works.

Any ideas?

Thanks

What cable are you using? Part # or a picture will do.

If your going between buildings use single mode fiber and appropriate converters.
These days I like to run single mode for everything but to be honest for electrical isolation in a small building it does not matter and multi-mode gb is a bit cheaper.
For 10g or potential of 10g I will always recommend single mode.

zh3cLgT.jpg

8LzgHL0.jpg

What switch are you using? Typically SFP+ ports will not accept an SFP module, and being a 10Gb port, they will not communicate with a 1Gb SFP IN another device either.

You will need 10Gb SFP+ modules and a 10Gb media converter. None of which are cheap.

A good, properly grounded lightning protector on the incoming line is probably a better option, combined with a good electrical surge protector.

What converter and switch models are you using?

The fiber looks fine. It is MMF like the GBICs.

Do you have two matching GBICs or just what you had listed already?

The Switch is a Quanta LB4M. I have a server connected to one of the 10g ports via a Mellanox 10g adaptor and a Finisar 10g GBIC and it works fine in either port so I know the switch is working.

Thanks, that would explain it. I have a second converter on the way, it should get me where I want to be. I'll report back as soon as it arrives and i test it.

The second transceiver arrived today. I plugged a J4858A into each and RJ 45 to the router and switch.

SUCCESS !!!!

My network is now optically isolated from the router/modem/Comcast coax. Now I can rest a little easier knowing that lightning won't be able to come in that way.

Thanks all for the assistance.

Last 2 years in a row I've been hit by lightning and both times it obviously came in thru the cable/mobem. It fried both and several NICs and 2 switches. I'd like to avoid a repeat this year by opto isolating the modem/router from the switch via optical cable.

I do have to say, this is an interesting strategy to prevent surges. Haha.

I do have to say, this is an interesting strategy to prevent surges. Haha.
I have done it in a business setting where they are using a dish on the roof through a local wisp.
Put the power brick for the poe injector for the dish on an ups with a fiber converter and run the fiber to a converter before the router.
That combined with a lightning rod taller than the dish put an end to taking out the router and switches once a year.

Back