New to Fallout 3

There's not really any need for advice unless you've never played an RPG before. Fallout 3 and NV are pretty typical when it comes to the RPG elements; the exploration and questing are what make the games great. Exploring the D.C. wasteland and the Mojave wasteland is just awesome. They level of detail that they put into everything makes it seem like you're actually there being hunted by mutants, raiders, and scorpions.

My only real advice is just to explore the hell out of the map. Some of the most fun that I've had in FO 3 and NV has just been exploring and finding all of the stuff that they've hidden, looking at how the US might look after a nuke, and doing random quests.

My only real advice is just to explore the hell out of the map. Some of the most fun that I've had in FO 3 and NV has just been exploring and finding all of the stuff that they've hidden, looking at how the US might look after a nuke, and doing random quests.

Don't forget the history lessons sprinkled through the game. Especially when you get into downtown DC. It's a trip.

Getting a hang of the game. Finally had my first lock up after I replaced the dish at the Washington Monument. This is a really cool game. Glad I got the Quakecon pack. Too bad it didn't come with the new Wolfenstein but oh well.

There's not really any need for advice unless you've never played an RPG before. Fallout 3 and NV are pretty typical when it comes to the RPG elements; the exploration and questing are what make the games great. Exploring the D.C. wasteland and the Mojave wasteland is just awesome. They level of detail that they put into everything makes it seem like you're actually there being hunted by mutants, raiders, and scorpions.

I absolutely loved the exploration of both games which I spent around 100+ hours in each just going around the maps, collecting things and seeing things and generally just seeing as many places as I could.

New Vegas is not a DLC for Fallout 3. And yes the DLC are worthwhile except for Mothership Zeta IMO.

Agreed. Especially enjoyed The Pitt (I know a lot of people hated this one) and Broken Steel. Didn't care much for Operation Anchorage (loved the stealth suit though), Point Lookout and Mothership Zeta. The climax/ending to Zeta, I must admit however, was AWESOME.

I went to that website, Fallout 3 nexus, and they had a mod called Error Corrections that made the game much more stable. I have to say it actually works! I played for a good solid 6 hours and I finally got the game to CTD. Pretty impressive for a mod.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=16490

Are you running a dual/quad? If so did you update your config file as I mentioned before? I've yet to have a crash since implementing that fix.... I know the game does have some audio-related issues, but most of those were fixed in the first patch if I remember right, so they should be a non-issue now.

And use VATS all the time.

What's the reasoning behind this advice?
VATS is basically useless long range. It will regularly give you a zero percent hit-chance, while good old manual aiming and squeezing the trigger will land a perfect headshot every time.

Are you running a dual/quad? If so did you update your config file as I mentioned before? I've yet to have a crash since implementing that fix.... I know the game does have some audio-related issues, but most of those were fixed in the first patch if I remember right, so they should be a non-issue now.

I did and I still had the CTD every once in a while but rare. Just did another test run and almost went 5 hours no CTD. I'm impressed.

I saved Mothership Zeta for last, the little girl is not on the ship and so that DLC is worthless for me.

Wow, I'm really liking this game. So glad I got the Quakecon pack. I'm really looking forward to playing Fallout New Vegas next. I'm only lvl 14 so far and I feel I've only just scratched the surface. Learned a lot from this game and can't wait to take the knowledge with me to the next chapter. Didn't have any CTD at all this time around. Still got the story line to run through (just got out of the Enclave area, so don't know if I'm half way or close to the end) and not to mention all 5 DLC's.

Tbh I hated getting to level 30. I had the t-51b armor(the one from the fortress/bunker/bomb launch base) and the androids special plasma rifle(heck I even used those alien blasters that do like 100 damage) and the super mutant masters just raped me. I was going through stims like crazy. And those new ghoul reavers. 1.2k health, wtf the best one before(glowing one) had around 380 health. Same thing with the scorpions, the albinos have like 3.2k health or 2.8k, before the best had 1.2k or so. It just really pissed me off, especially the fucking ghoul reavers.

Fallout New Vegas was fun, although I felt New Vegas itself was a little low on quests.

VATS can be sort of a cluster fuck when you read up on it.

Using shotguns in V.A.T.S. can sometimes do minimal damage. Shotguns' damage uses a Spread Radius and thus, a certain amount of damage for each single part of the spread, for example: 8x6 - each part of the spread does 8 damage, but the damage is multiplied by the 6 parts of the spread, in V.A.T.S., sometimes it will cancel the spread and only do the base damage - in comparison to the example above, instead of doing 8x6 worth of damage, it will only do 8 points of damage, making a shotgun in V.A.T.S. a gamble.
-- http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/VATS

Been playing some FO3 myself the past week with FWE and MMM. These two mods make the gameplay much better imo and Fellout makes the game look beautiful.

Despite the two mods the game becomes too easy again once you get a decent stockpile going, it just takes a bit longer than vanilla. So I've decided to see if I can beat FWE/MMM without guns (tagged: Medicine, Explosives, Sneak). Due to the fantastic chem/drug overhaul of FWE, my only weapons are empty syringes which I keep filled with a healthy dose of heroin, meth, thorazine, alprazolam, etc and frags/mines for the unavoidable fights. It's not going so well though...lol

Make sure it's patched to the latest version, look at turning off vsync, removing the mouse acceleration and upping the FOV with config tweaks to the ini file, makes it 10x more playable.
Does this work in New Vegas (I'm assuming so)?

I've been playing New Vegas and I just hate how it still slightly stutters and aiming feels choppy and rough. I'll have to look into making some changes; my computer should be fully capable of playing this game without a hitch but I am familiar with the lovely GameBryo engine so maybe there's not much I can do about it.

Been playing some FO3 myself the past week with FWE and MMM. These two mods make the gameplay much better imo and Fellout makes the game look beautiful.

Despite the two mods the game becomes too easy again once you get a decent stockpile going, it just takes a bit longer than vanilla. So I've decided to see if I can beat FWE/MMM without guns (tagged: Medicine, Explosives, Sneak). Due to the fantastic chem/drug overhaul of FWE, my only weapons are empty syringes which I keep filled with a healthy dose of heroin, meth, thorazine, alprazolam, etc and frags/mines for the unavoidable fights. It's not going so well though...lol

Make sure you try Fook as well.

What? I already beat it? Damn, I should have explored more, only level 16. When I reload the game, can I just walk out and continue exploring or that's it? I want to check out the DLC.

The game gives you the option to go back to a previous save prior to starting the end quest so you can go out and do the dlc's and other quests found in the wasteland. :)

What? I already beat it? Damn, I should have explored more, only level 16. When I reload the game, can I just walk out and continue exploring or that's it? I want to check out the DLC.

If you play the Broken Steel DLC first,your character is shown to be rescued from the control room at the end of the original game,you're then free to explore the Wasteland and complete any undone side quests and continued to level up from your present status.

If you play the Broken Steel DLC first,your character is shown to be rescued from the control room at the end of the original game,you're then free to explore the Wasteland and complete any undone side quests and continued to level up from your present status.

Broken Steel only needs to be enabled. There's nothing to 'play' per se other than letting you keep playing after the main quest and upping the level cap to 30 and new perks.

Broken Steel only needs to be enabled. There's nothing to 'play' per se other than letting you keep playing after the main quest and upping the level cap to 30 and new perks.

That whole thing with the robot, tunnel at the edge of the map, going into the airbase and blowing up the Enclave base..Yeah you know that stuff is part of Broken Steel.

Actually I'm new to the whole series. Any advice, tips, tricks? I got the game with the Quakecon pack.

Fucks sake. Just play the game and enjoy it. You need people's advice on how to play a game? Just get on with it.

My god. The helplessness.

Learn the tips and tricks for yourself, don't ask for them. Learn by experience.

Fucks sake. Just play the game and enjoy it. You need people's advice on how to play a game? Just get on with it.

My god. The helplessness.

Learn the tips and tricks for yourself, don't ask for them. Learn by experience.

^^
That's part of the fun. :)

i think fo3 is one of the best games ever made, that game kicks major ass. I have played it a number of times on pc, ps3 and 360 and i might buy it again

I'll make this simple.

Personal Insults won't fly. You can debate, even argue the facts all you want but when the insults get personal, folks get infracted or banned as required to make the point.

If someone's out of line, use the "Report Post" button and it will get handled.

I'll make this simple.

Personal Insults won't fly. You can debate, even argue the facts all you want but when the insults get personal, folks get infracted or banned as required to make the point.

If someone's out of line, use the "Report Post" button and it will get handled.

Thank you.

play through it once on your own. you'll definitely put in 2 or 3 runs after you finish it, then you can use faqs to get every side quest.

I'm staying away from the FAQs on quests. I'm able to figure those out. Just didn't understand some of the mechanics of the game. More familiar with RPGs like Diablo. Got it now and looking forward to the DLCs. Just started on Blood Steel and exploring with my dog.

Last edited:
One thing that bothered me about the Broken Steel DLC is the scaling of your companions. After you reach lvl 30, Fawkes, Dogmeat, and the robot (i forget his name grrr) pretty much become invincible because of ridiculously high damage mitigation they receive.

My first play through was with Jericho. Who was my fav character in the entire game btw. Second play through I went and got the robot as soon as I had the money, but this made it boring as the robot is very OP. I was also incredibly efficient at killing anything in the game by this time so I just went solo.

Back