New to Dual CPU Setups

nekrosoft13

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm Looking at Intel Xeon E5-2600 V3 series CPUs.

I'm planning to fit this system into Lian-Li Global | PC-A75

it can fit:
HPTX
E-ATX
ATX
Micro-ATX

What boards would you recommend? I been looking at some Supermicro boards, but they have TDP of 140w, and then a note that they only support up to 22 cores, so what excactly would happen if I put two 12 core chips in there?

I need some help picking a board.

The 2011-V3 Supermicro boards support up to 22 cores per socket. No need to worry about twin 12-core chips.

That said, I don't have any experience with the V3 boards, just the older 2011 boards. E-ATX is the form factor that you're most likely looking at. What is your budget for the board?

Afew things to note. Supermicro boards are rarely a standard form factor they are listed as eatx but the holes are different. Next what are you planning on doing with it? And it is 22 cores each socket

If you are not using this as a server, the Asus Z10PE-D8 WS has been really solid for me as a workstation.

If you are not using this as a server, the Asus Z10PE-D8 WS has been really solid for me as a workstation.

Yea, this one has been solid for me as well. It also supports up to 24 cores / socket. <-- not a typo. If you plan on running quad GPUs, make sure you adjust the bios for PCI-E to enable 4G decoding, otherwise it'll complain of PCI-E resource error.

only issue I see, that is not eatx

Well neither is my ASUS Z10-PE-D8 WS. They are both EBB, which is pretty standard, and basically the same as eatx but with some standoff holes in a different place.

I used a eatx motherboard tray, and a couple of the standoffs are not being used. I'm not too worried.

If you are, a small drill job on the motherboard tray, and you can get them all.

mUewknq.png

Back