New to Apple, just got iTouch 32GB

toddw

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello all.
So I've been playing with youtube, setup mail and an apple account. Set the weather, etc.

Surely there must be more than this? I looked at the top 25 apps/games and was like... really?

So I am having buyers remorse, but before I give up on it I'd like to know what apps or uses others have for this neat toy.

Oh, and does it do MSN Messenger or something equivelent where I don't have to pay?

Thanks.

I use mine mainly for games and media. Media is easily managed with iTunes, and there's loads of awesome games in the App Store. Right now I'm playing Final Fantasy Tactics, Stardash and Sword & Poker 2. (Would recommend all of them.)

For messaging, check out IM+.

Hello all.
So I've been playing with youtube, setup mail and an apple account. Set the weather, etc.

Surely there must be more than this? I looked at the top 25 apps/games and was like... really?

So I am having buyers remorse, but before I give up on it I'd like to know what apps or uses others have for this neat toy.

Oh, and does it do MSN Messenger or something equivelent where I don't have to pay?

Thanks.

What were you expecting it to do that it's not?

Every major chat protocol is represented on the app store. Most in several different clients. If you are not finding these then I'm not sure you are actually looking.

An iPod touch can basically do anything a computer is capable of just on a smaller scale. A laptop is also pretty damn useless until you install the apps that YOU find useful.

What did you want to do with it?

Let's just say I didn't buy it with an idea in mind. Lots of folks have this or an iPhone, so I'm figuring it must be worth having.

I'm not saying it was a smart decision on my part. Just asking for ideas before I dump it in a drawer.

I dunno, play with it? I personally find my iPhone pretty much indispensable. I use it for email, games, music(Pandora), audiobooks, movies, notes, mobile web browsing, etc. Then again, it is limited without some sort of data connection. Thankfully that has not been much of an issue, even in Afghanistan.

If you have played around with it and don't find it useful, then maybe it isnt the device for you. I personally wouldn't get an iPod Touch, just because I don't now, and never have, lived in the magical land of open WiFi everywhere that everyone else seems to live in.

Let's just say I didn't buy it with an idea in mind. Lots of folks have this or an iPhone, so I'm figuring it must be worth having.

I'm not saying it was a smart decision on my part. Just asking for ideas before I dump it in a drawer.

It's useless. But rather than dump it in a draw, I'll give you $50 for it. PM me.

First, dont call it an "iTouch" makes you sound dumb.

Secondly, the world is your oyster now. I recommend getting the app called "apps gone free" to find cool apps that become free. Also watch the top 25 list to see what gets popular, sometimes you can find a few gems.

For instant messaging, I use meebo since it has a good web interface.

I use my iPhone mainly for solitaire, browsing the web and looking up stuff on the go, main email client (I haven't even gotten around to setting it up on my desktop yet since my phone pretty much does everything I Need, map/GPS, music, unit conversion, gas mileage logging, flashlight, calendar, and all of the normal phone functions as well.

Thanks all keep it coming.... just want to generate some ideas for what the realm of possible entails. Thanks I'll look for apps gone free !!

Hi, I am also new to iOS.

One thing perhaps useful for some users on occasions. I just found out

1. For scenario where screen reading is too small for some users, apparently you can select the text and let iPod read out to you. You need to turn on speak-selection option.

Hence for example, you loaded a web page with mostly text material. The screen is able to load everything due to high resolution, but perhaps font size too small for some to read in its default state. The standard way is to zoom in so font becomes bigger making text easier to read. Here you can instead select the entire paragraph or two, then tap "speak" and let iPod/iPhone read it out to you.

Imagine you are with friends discussing particular website item on your iPod Touch. Instead of asking everyone to look at the small screen, you could instead just select/tap and let iPod read it out to everyone! Depending on context, sometimes it could be quite useful and interesting.

Just imagine the effect when you are able to let iPod Touch read out some of the most interesting comments on Slashdot discussion...

Podcasts (the Moth, This American Life, and Planet Money all recommended)
Music (given the new Bon Iver album a go yet?)
Games (Catan, Plants v. Zombies, Words with Friends, GTA 3, NBA Jam, Ascension all good)
Video (Netflix Streaming or uploading your own)
Instant Messaging (get IMO, it's free and works well)

Nimbuzz is the most popular IM client around now, and it is easy to see why to be honest. It has a clean interface, it is fast and light, and it just works! There does seem to be a bug where messages you send don't appear until you click out and click back in of the current chat, but apart from that it works well.

Other apps to consider are Tapatalk (though [H] don't have the plugin installed), and Pulse as a fantastic RSS client.

I can't really recommend anymore as all the apps I have are UK based really. Skype?

Well, consider this: for about the same price as what Apple's competitors charge for a basic, no-frills media player, you've purchased a device that's nearly infinitely flexible. Odds are if you can think of something you'd like to do with a device the size of an iPod touch, you can do it with an iPod touch. And then the things you can't think of? Yeah, you can do those too.

You can turn your PC or Mac on and off, remotely connect to your PC or Mac and run their applications on your iPod, use it to control synthesizers, take photos, play the piano or the drums, make (and edit) videos, use it as a high-quality field recorder, learn a new language with it, play any number of games (there are well over 100,000 of them available), translate written words on a sign post in another language into English (and from English to another language), read books and comics, control your iTunes library, use it as an interface to a BitTorrent client or a Usenet downloader, point it at the night sky and have it tell you where the constellations are, etc., etc., etc..

No offense, but it sounds like you didn't do much investigating. Some suggestions:

1. If you know anyone with an iDevice, set up iMessage and give them your iMessage email ID so you can text them. Very handy.

2. Try some games. Chrono Trigger, Phoenix Wright, Pizza Boy, etc. Angry Birds is a huge phenomenon but I've never played it.

3. Load up on the utilities. Instapaper, a banking app, instant messaging, Dropbox, Flipboard, iBooks/Kindle, Apple Trailers, Facebook, Flixster, Wunderlist, Skype, Netflix, etc.

There's a ridiculous amount of apps and uses for your iPod. Just investigate. You basically have the best non-cellular PDA available.

First off configure all your email accounts on the thing, if you are like most here you have about six or so. Having those all in once easy to use place is just really nice. Much better than web mail clients I think.

I will second IM+ and say go pro, that handles about every single major chat protocol so you can talk with all of your friends. ebuddy pro is pretty decent too but IM+ has really stepped up their game in the past year, excellent support.

Google voice and skype. Free video calling?

More all your bookmarks into safari via icloud sync or via itunes, completes the browser and makes it damn useful.

As you have an ipod look into an app called Free Wi-Fi, it will list the locations near you where you can get on for free. Critical with the lack of cell data. Maps won't work offline but the list of locations is good to have on the go.

Not really cheap but far better than most full hardware based GPS IMO; go get the tomtom car mount and the tomtom app for your area. I really like this and your choices are rather limited in the GPS department as the device doesn't have built in GPS.

1password. The app can sync with your computer via dropbox.

Remote app; controls itunes on your computer from the device.

Airport app; configures your apple router if you have one.

Ipod touch is the crack that gets you in, once you start using most of the above you will realize how critical this stuff is and want that data connection and move to an iphone or 3g ipad. Hopefully the next ipod touch gets a data package like the ipad.

angry birds---done

oh and crimson heart
and some other games i forgot lol

Back