New to AMD. Just received my 7900XTX. Need software settings advice.

Despotes

Gawd
Just installed my 7900XTX a few minutes ago and the latest Adrenaline drivers. What settings should I have enabled for gaming in the software? Is the Anti-lag setting effective w/o negative consequences?

I am pretty new, too. The main thing that I learned is that the default fan curve is good - but not great. No matter the card.

Use HWiNFO64 or GPU-Z to monitor as you game - use Adrenalin (go to Performance > Tuning > Tuning Control > Custom - turn on Fan Tuning, disable Zero RPM (personal preference), and enable Advanced Control to setup a custom curve.

custom_fan_7900xtx.png

Battlefield Bad Company 2 isn't running that great with this card. I max just over 200fps and it frequently dips around 100fps. At the server menu it sits at 112fps. I think my 1080ti did much better. I'd like to keep it running at least 144 fps to match my monitor refresh rate.

Despite the issues kinda jealous. Looking to pivot back to AMD from Nvidia and I think the XTX is my only hope to have better performance all the way around from my 3080.

Trying to figure out the bios switch position. It came with the bios switch towards the rear of the card/away from the power connector. Isn't that the lower performance bios option? XFX 7900XTX Merc 310 Black

Despite the issues kinda jealous. Looking to pivot back to AMD from Nvidia and I think the XTX is my only hope to have better performance all the way around from my 3080.
4080 or 7900XTX will give you pretty similar performance. Either is a good upgrade from your 3080. Pricey either way, but better performance.

Trying to figure out the bios switch position. It came with the bios switch towards the rear of the card/away from the power connector. Isn't that the lower performance bios option? XFX 7900XTX Merc 310 Black
what does it say over the switch? nm, sk3tch has it right.

CODMW (not 2) pulled 415 watts! Fans were loud. Averaged maybe 170-ish fps. I have no idea if that's good for 1440p everything maxed out. Is that slow?

Last edited:
CODMW (not 2) pulled 415 watts! Fans were loud. Averaged maybe 170-ish fps. I have no idea if that's good for 1440p everything maxed out. Is that slow?
Seems good although I don’t play that game. I get about that with maxed out Fortnite on 1080p.

According to the TPU review one BIOS sets a power limit of 327W and boost clock of 2615 MHz and the other sets the power limit at 339W and the boost clock at 2680MHz.

Other than that I second the comment to make sure freesync is enabled if supported and also check to make sure it set to use whatever your full bit depth is for the monitor because I think it defaults to 8 bit.

I have this same card coming in a few days so I'm interested in any comments you have about it.

the tpu article is for the OC version. the person asking about the switch has the Black edition. that is a good point, i think all the recent amd cards do.
The picture in the article shows the Black edition box which has also been their OC version of cards and according to XFX the XTX only has a reference version and black edition, the XT does have a regular non Black edition Merc though.

The picture in the article shows the Black edition box which has also been their OC version of cards and according to XFX the XTX only has a reference version and black edition, the XT does have a regular non Black edition Merc though.
idk then but the article, or maybe xfx, is inconsistent

"XFX Radeon RX 7900 XTX Merc 310 OC Review"
"XFX Radeon RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310 is the company's flagship"
1675218143178.png

but the product page for the black does say its a backup

idk then but the article, or maybe xfx, is inconsistent

"XFX Radeon RX 7900 XTX Merc 310 OC Review"
"XFX Radeon RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310 is the company's flagship"
View attachment 545737

but the product page for the black does say its a backup
I think the article is incosistent. The black edition has been used to indicate that an XFX card is the OC version since at least when they started selling AMD cards, I have a HD 6950 that's a Black edition that was clocked a bit higher than the the non black edition. I'm not sure what you mean by backup but they only show the black edition and the one that's a branded AMD reference card, the XT has three versions including non black Merc(they're all speedster these days with Merc being the top cooler) with lower clocks.

The article also shows the specs for the Black edition so I'm 99.99% sure that's what they're reviewing.

Your better off tuning the stock bios than running their crap oc bios as it applies excessive voltage and thus lots of extra heat. Manually set it to 1.046V with 15% on the power slider and max core clock 2750Mhz. The vram you'll have test on your own as I haven't gone there yet. The fan curve will require some tweaking according to your case airflow. Mine runs very fast and stable with those settings. I'll get around to the memory in the future but for now those settings meet my needs for my flight sims in VR.

Have not seen this yet in discussion, anyways some of the settings I use on the 7900XTX Merc 310 and in general with AMD:
  • Under Display
    • AMD FreeSync Premium - Enabled
    • Virtual Super Resolution - Enabled
    • GPU Scaling - Enabled
    • Scaling Mode - Center or Preserve aspect ratio
      • With 42" OLED C2, I can easily do 3440x1440 and other resolutions in games that support it. As a note with the 3090 I ended up mostly with blank screens trying to do the same thing (gave up in frustration while AMD just works so far)
  • Graphics
    • Radeon Anti-Lag - Enabled (Why not?)
    • Radeon Chill - Per game profile to keep frame rate from exceeding monitor refresh rate if needed
      • One of the most under appreciated settings I've ever seen
      • Works wonders, no need for vertical sync with VRR monitor/TV
      • You want quiet, low energy, cooler room etc.
      • I never use Frame Rate Target Control in the Advanced section of this tab, Chill is absolutely superior
Another strong feature set is Game Profiling where you can tweak each game specifically, for OCing or Underclocking, Display settings as in Sharpening, Resolution scaling etc. not affecting Global settings or other games seamlessly.

In game you can open up Radeon Settings and do adjustments, OCing etc. and immediately see the results: Hotkeys default is ALT + Z for sidebar or ALT + R for Fullscreen. Also open up the built in Browser for example if you want for like Discord, Cheats, monitor stocks whatever.

Well, they do. Not nearly as good as NVIDIA. I'm glad they improved their Fortnite drivers. They were horrific...

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/fortnite-performance-issues/m-p/526142
That is generally true. AMD just has nuisances that can drive you batty. XFX Merc 310 7900 XTX. First go around with latest drivers, Tuning (OCing) would not change Power Target, vRam would change except it didn't change vRam speeds, none of the Presets worked, none of the driver OC setting would past the test. Reload drivers and all are fine and work. ? ? ? ?

Well, they do. Not nearly as good as NVIDIA. I'm glad they improved their Fortnite drivers. They were horrific...

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/fortnite-performance-issues/m-p/526142
I’ve been using nVidia gpus since I got back into PC gaming back before the Plandemic. I have been blissfully unaware of any ForkKnife 🍴 issues since switching to a 7900 XT personally. I’m way past puberty so of course I’ve never played 🍴

Correct me if I’m wrong here but the vast majority of children play games on Nintendo Switch or Sony PlayStation. Little children can’t even remember to brush their teeth, let alone build a configure a gaming PC. I’m sure those kids don’t know anything about Nvidia driver issues, if they even know PCs have gpus that need drivers at all.

I’ve been using nVidia gpus since I got back into PC gaming back before the Plandemic. I have been blissfully unaware of any ForkKnife 🍴 issues since switching to a 7900 XT personally. I’m way past puberty so of course I’ve never played 🍴

Correct me if I’m wrong here but the vast majority of children play games on Nintendo Switch or Sony PlayStation. Little children can’t even remember to brush their teeth, let alone build a configure a gaming PC. I’m sure those kids don’t know anything about Nvidia driver issues, if they even know PCs have gpus that need drivers at all.
Yes - that was my point. Past generation (I had a 6900 XT) had issues. Current gen (had a couple 7900 XTX’s - have since sold them) - no issues.

Back