New TN Panel vs Older P-MVA panel

Crest

Limp Gawd
Hello everyone, I currently use a Viewsonic vx2025WM monitor, but I'd like to go beyond 1680x1050, since I edit a lot of video and pictures. This monitor, according to http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/panelsearch.htm, is a "AU Optronics P-MVA." At the time of the purchase, I had no idea about different panel technologies, and this was a great deal on a 20" monitor. So I luckily ended up with a great quality monitor.

I got this monitor in august of 2006, and has served me well. Like I said I'd like a higher resolution for editing full HD video, but also the top 15% or so of the screen has burn in of my desktop. I don't leave my monitor on that much, but it seems to have accumulated over time. I can see it while playing dark games, mainly Oblivion during the night times.

My question lies with my upgrade. I considered the Hanns-G 28", but I thought it was simply too large. I'm looking in the 23"-26" range. At least 1920x1080, preferably 1920x1200. I don't have any consoles, so HDMI isn't a necessity, and scaling isn't a worry of mine. Currently I'm looking at the HP 2509m 25" model. It's roughly $279 on amazon. This monitor uses a TN panel. Would this monitor, as far as colours and contrast are concerned, look worse, equal, or better than my current monitor? I love the colours and blacks of this monitor, and wonder if I'd be upgrading in one way, and downgrading in another.

Or if you would like to recommend another monitor, I'd be grateful. $350 is my maximum, but I'd like to keep it around $300 or so.

honestly, it really depends on the monitor (haven't used either of them). I'd, personally, go for the 28" though :) trust me... it's big at first, but once you get used to it, you'll wonder how you lived without it. I love my 28"... perfect size

Don't buy into the TN vs IPS bullcrap. I paint, edit photos, texture,3d model, play games, watch blurays, etc all on a TN and it's never once held me back. As long as it has good viewing angles and it's not a total POS, TN is a perfectly fine technology :) Just make sure it supports HDCP and has decent reviews

I simply mentioned the 28" to give some background. 28", as I've measured, would barely fit into my desktop set up. I have a 42" wide desk, with my Full size tower on the right side, along with my oversized mouse pad and headphone amp. I think 25" would be perfect for me. I just need some ideas as to what I should expect in reference to my older MVA panel. I figure that in 3 years, technology has advanced enough to bridge that gap.

Thank you for the response though,

Good move not getting the Hanns-G/I-INC. I have two of them and regret buying them every time I use them. Color accuracy (even properly calibrated) is bad, the DP is too high for the size and the viewing angles are absolutely beyond belief horrible. Next to my HP LP3065 and U2405 they look atrocious.

TN panels have gotten a lot better in recent years. Go with a good quality TN display if you don't have the money for an IPS.

Any particular ~24" TN Panel LCD's that I should look for? I've been reading all over this section, but nothing really came up except for the BenQ G2400WD, but it's alittle higher than I'd want to spend. What are you all's thoughts on the HP?

I hold the complete opposite opinion of Dr. Stevil.

I have a HP w2408h --- generally considered a top notch 24" TN monitor and the owners of this monitor rave about it as you can confirm in most any customer review.

I also have a 24" Soyo Topaz S (MVA 8 bit) from office max. My Soyo was one of the original units with a very nice and well reviewed 8 bit panel -- now this monitor is sold with a TN panel. :( Note: the Soyo has a way crappier stand, way crappier onboard speakers, a way worse scaler for anything not native to 1920x1200 resolution, and looks like generic and cheap when compared to the classy HP with the gloss bezel and glass screen.............................................................................until you turn them on and look at them side by side. At native resolution the Soyo is amazing!

The Soyo Topaz wins hands down --- it has better, more realistic/true colors. Six bit TN's will do if you don't know better, but I can't stand the slightly false colors and I really hate the way the lighter yellows and whites blur into null indestinguishable colors on every TN panel I've seen. Coming from an M-PVA monitor I think you'll be disappointed with any TN I've ever seen and worked with. I work in IT at a company with about 1200 machines. We buy almost all TN's now, sadly....In truth --- I'd prefer the older 19" Dell MPVA 4:3 screens we used to purchase over the newer 24" Samsung TN 16:9 panels we are buying now. I've never met anyone who couldn't tell the difference between a TN and a M-PVA when the two were properly configured side by side. Easiest spot is the viewing angle, but as you sit down in front of it and look at pictures --- the you start noticing the loss in color fidelity/accuracy when using the TN.

At any rate --- guess which one of my 24" monitors sits on my desktop for daily use and which one is my spare. I'll give you a hint - it is NOT the HP.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback Archaea. So then would you say that my 3 year old monitor would have better colors then most TN panels? 399 new is still out of my range, though I found an HP w2408h new on ebay. Perhaps I'll bid on it. But again, how is the HP 2509m? I saw alittle talk about it in this section and people loved and hated it. But there seems to be a lot of absolutes in this forum.

@crazyassazian. I do game alot, so if something is renown for lag, I'm not going to go in that direction.

Thanks for the feedback Archaea. So then would you say that my 3 year old monitor would have better colors then most TN panels? 399 new is still out of my range, though I found an HP w2408h new on ebay. Perhaps I'll bid on it. But again, how is the HP 2509m? I saw alittle talk about it in this section and people loved and hated it. But there seems to be a lot of absolutes in this forum.

@crazyassazian. I do game alot, so if something is renown for lag, I'm not going to go in that direction.

Yes - I would bet your older MVA panel has more accurate colors but may fall short in the contrast department. So I can't attest to your comparison directly, but I can assure you that a newer MVA panel or IPS panel will destroy a new TN panel in color accuracy. TN's just lack the abilty to portray subtile color differences accurately. A good example being with my HP w2408h I played some titan quest. The drops in titan quest are yellow and white and gray. I had a hard time distiguishing between the light yellows and the whites with any TN panels I've used (and I've tried multiple = a HP 24", two different samsung 22" models, and a LG 19") on that game, but it's incredibly clear which color is what with the 8 bit panel I've used. For this reason I do not recommend the w2408h unless you get it for a console gaming monitor because it does excel for that purpose - (that's what I use mine for) Hooked up to the Xbox or PS3 the w2408h looks fantastic with everything I've thrown at it and the internal scaler on the w2408h is quite good -- so if you need to play something at non-native resolution it looks great, much better than my Soyo at non-native resolutions. I've not used the newer HP monitor, 2509, but if it's a TN ---- I'd imagine my same reservations would apply. I personally don't think you have to worry about lag with any modern LCD. I can't see any at least on multiple modern different manufacturers monitors I've tried at our monthly Xbox 360 LANs. Make sure any monitor you buy has HDCP if you plan to hook it up to a PS3. Also it will need HDCP if you want to watch a HD-DVD on your Xbox 360, but you won't need HDCP for general gaming with the Xbox360.

Back