New Titan X announced, 12GB GDDR5X, $1200

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

That link didn't work for me but googling nvidia blog gets the same site/article.

A lot of the TOP enthusiasts are going to be very pissed, just getting the 1080 and all.

I assume this means no 1080Ti soon? or perhaps it is coming, at a halfway point in price? $900?

Who the hell knows anymore.

another thought: So, no HBM2 for a good long while I assume? They wont dare put it on a 1080Ti when a titan doesn't have it.

Damn. Why call it the Titan X again, though...

Would've been better calling it the Titan XX or the Titan Ti or Titan P, lol.

But damn, that's some sexy specs. Just imagining this running at 2GHz is already making a mess in my jimmies.

A lot of the TOP enthusiasts are going to be very pissed, just getting the 1080 and all.

I assume this means no 1080Ti soon? or perhaps it is coming, at a halfway point in price? $900?

Who the hell knows anymore.
I imagine the people getting pissed about no longer having the fastest card are the same people who are offended when AMD's cards improve from new APIs like Vulkan.

Why does this have half the memory it's supposed to :p are g5x chips not available in 16gbit?

Why does this have half the memory it's supposed to :p are g5x chips not available in 16gbit?

That's gonna be the new new Titan X with 16Gb of memory for a cool price of $1500 cuz that memory be expensive yo!

Gotta get everyone to buy 3 new cards within 2-3 months! :D

It has a 384-bit memory interface vs. the GTX 1080's 256-bit interface. Nvidia appears to be using the same density but added 4 additional chips.

I know you need 12 chips for 384b, just wondering why this doesn't have 24gb.

Titans have always had double the memory in the Tis, and I don't see a 6gb 1080ti as very likely :p

Titans have always had double the memory in the Tis, and I don't see a 6gb 1080ti as very likely :p
I imagine that there's probably a significant price premium to the 16Gb chips, as well as the fact that going to 24GB would set a precedent and virtually necessitate that future Titan cards also be 24GB or greater to help incentivize people to continually upgrade.

And suddenly, this guy gets it: There will be no 1080Ti.

At this price it doesn't even make me interested anymore. I am happy with my GTX 1080 and I am not paying a dime more for 30% more performance. This is getting out of hand.

We'll see about that. Vega 11 exists, and it's going to eventually compete with this

We'll see about that. Vega 11 exists, and it's going to eventually compete with this

Doubtful. AMD is just getting their R&D back going again. Vega will NOT compete with this or the next Nvidia card.

If Vega turns out good and pressures 1080 sales then suddenly there will be.

If Vega turns out good, then this gives AMD an excuse to sell a $1200 video card.

Lets face the music, AMD still has yet to catch up to the 980Ti. Let alone the 2015 Titan X, or the 1070, or the 1080, let alone this new beast.

Essentially, if Vega happens to be as fast as a 2016 Titan X (which is highly unlikely) AMD will try to rake in as MUCH cash as possible.

If Vega turns out good, then this gives AMD an excuse to sell a $1200 video card.

Lets face the music, AMD still has yet to catch up to the 980Ti. Let alone the 2015 Titan X, or the 1070, or the 1080, let alone this new beast.

Essentially, if Vega happens to be as fast as a 2016 Titan X (which is highly unlikely) AMD will try to rake in as MUCH cash as possible.

Vega might compete with the 1070 and reach for the 1080. No way in hell it is going to get remotely close to the new Titan. They would need more years of R&D to overcome the Hector Ruiz selloff years. They are years behind Intel and Nvidia. That's why they can almost get there, but never eclipse them.

Wonder if there will be a Titan MCC Founder's Edition. Founder's Edition should be +$300 this time to round the price off to $1,500.

Vega might compete with the 1070 and reach for the 1080. No way in hell it is going to get remotely close to the new Titan. They would need more years of R&D to overcome the Hector Ruiz selloff years. They are years behind Intel and Nvidia. That's why they can almost get there, but never eclipse them.

Wonder if there will be a Titan MCC Founder's Edition. Founder's Edition should be +$300 this time to round the price off to $1,500.

Well, thats why the New™ Titan X is $200 more than standard Titan releases:

Its a Founder's Edition©.

Do you think that you can customize this titan X with à arctic accéléro III ?
Were People customizing theire Titan X cooler for the Last generation ?

Well, thats why the New™ Titan X is $200 more than standard Titan releases:
Its a Founder's Edition©.

As long as AMD has $200 parts with three fans on them then yeah, nVidia is going to milk it. I think sometimes people will label others as fanboys and that's not really what's going on. Same thing with CPUs. I would love more than 100 RX480 buyers for AMD to have THE BEST, at least now and then. When one company consistently has the best, that's why prices eek up. Unless companies are in collusion. I'd love to see what AMD could do for $500 to $600 dollars.

As long as AMD has $200 parts with three fans on them then yeah, nVidia is going to milk it. I think sometimes people will label others as fanboys and that's not really what's going on. Same thing with CPUs. I would love more than 100 RX480 buyers for AMD to have THE BEST, at least now and then. When one company consistently has the best, that's why prices eek up. Unless companies are in collusion. I'd love to see what AMD could do for $500 to $600 dollars.

AMD announced that there will be 3 GPUs released in 2016 during their earnings call. We have the 480 already. And we know about the 460 and 470. So that's it. There is your competition until later on in 2017.

Do you think that you can customize this titan X with à arctic accéléro III ?
Were People customizing theire Titan X cooler for the Last generation ?

Plenty of people out water blocks on their Titans. Arctic Acceleros not so much...

And suddenly, this guy gets it: There will be no 1080Ti.

BINGO

I fear that without adequate competition, the days of selling big dies "for cheap" is over. From this point onwards, be prepared to pay >$1000 if you want the big chip GPU.

I actually think AMD will try be cute and price said hypothetical Vega at $999. Then their marketing slogan could be "Titan performance for $999 again"

BINGO

I fear that without adequate competition, the days of selling big dies "for cheap" is over. From this point onwards, be prepared to pay >$1000 if you want the big chip GPU.

I actually think AMD will try be cute and price said hypothetical Vega at $999. Then their marketing slogan could be "Titan performance for $999 again"

Haha, nice.

Make Titans 'only mostly unobtainable' Again!

Titan XP

But seriously, this Titan XP IS the 1080 Ti in disguise. I mean we know there's a 610mm² GP100 that uses HBM2, and whatever this is, it's NOT GP100.

I guess the common thinking is that there will be a 1080 Ti that's somewhere in the price range between a 1080 and a Titan. Hard to figure that such a part would be using HBM2. I don't think nVidia is going to use HBM for some time, they simply don't need to.

Cheaper than everyone expected, and launching much sooner than everyone expected.
Thanks Nvidia.

But no HBM2, seriously? Is this amateur hour?

I guess the common thinking is that there will be a 1080 Ti that's somewhere in the price range between a 1080 and a Titan. Hard to figure that such a part would be using HBM2. I don't think nVidia is going to use HBM for some time, they simply don't need to.

What I meant is the Titan has traditionally been the absolute best (near) full chip you could buy, and was never a second teir chip.

We know there's a >600mm² GP100 that uses HBM2, so there's another chip one tier above whatever this Titan X is using. Hence my saying that this new Titan X really is a 1080 Ti in disguise, because it doesn't represent the pinnacle of the product stack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back