New Titan X announced, 12GB GDDR5X, $1200

Status
Not open for further replies.
There will be a 1080ti only if AMD is going to release a close competitor to the Titan X. Oh wait, they have the Fury X, WTF is with the naming scheme.
BTW the "new" Titan X is going to sell only on nvidia.com (founders edition only).

The fucking rumors were true. Wow. I really don't understand why they didn't wait on this one.

There will be a 1080ti only if AMD is going to release a close competitor to the Titan X. Oh wait, they have the Fury X, WTF is with the naming scheme.
BTW the "new" Titan X is going to sell only on nvidia.com (founders edition only).

Thanks for the info, I was wondering about that. So no AIB parts for this Titan X? Do you have a source?

The fucking rumors were true. Wow. I really don't understand why they didn't wait on this one.

If what CrisanT said is true and it's an nVidia only part, that's why. At $1200, it's going to be low volume and if it's only 30% faster than the 1080 then it's a nice niche for nVidia while giving AIBs space to sell 1080s/1070s which are still going to sell because, well $1200 for the Titan X.

That's just a scumbag move tbh because it completely cuts out the AIB partners on the highest margin part. (and also no EVGA warranty)

I think the writing's on the wall: nVidia IS the Apple of GPUs now.

If what CrisanT said is true and it's an nVidia only part, that's why. At $1200, it's going to be low volume and if it's only 30% faster than the 1080 then it's a nice niche for nVidia while giving AIBs space to sell 1080s/1070s which are still going to sell because, well $1200 for the Titan X.

Pretty much. I'm quite certain the reasoning for the $1200 price is because 1080 SLI could be had for around $1250 if you look at the cheapest models, which is still likely to offer 40%+ performance over a single Titan X. So this way 1080 retains its appeal to those willing to spend over 1K, and want the absolute best performance but don't mind multi-GPU issues.

$1200 is also 71% over $700, and nearly 2x the cheapest price of a 1080 ($610), all the while offering only probably 30% more performance (if that). So for those looking at a single GPU only, the Titan X is sufficiently price differentiated there's no risk of cannibalizing the 1080's market.

With all that being said, GG to those who bought the 1080, especially the Founders Edition. :ROFLMAO: Luckily for you guys the supply is so bad right now you could easily flip even a sued 1080 for a small profit on eBay.

Last edited:
What I meant is the Titan has traditionally been the absolute best (near) full chip you could buy, and was never a second teir chip.

We know there's a >600mm² GP100 that uses HBM2, so there's another chip one tier above whatever this Titan X is using. Hence my saying that this new Titan X really is a 1080 Ti in disguise, because it doesn't represent the pinnacle of the product stack.

Not really if you compare this with the Original Titan and Titan Black... nvidia is doing everything exactly as what they did with kepler.. except with the timelines but the launch of cards are almost identically in terms of performance over the past generation, This may be the original Titan then later they can even launch another Titan with HBM2, depending on how well HBM2 marketing works for the highest end HBM2 AMD Vega Card... if even with that amd is unable to compete with nvidia then they may just cut the GP102 and launch the 1080TI, but why are we waiting for a 1080TI? 1080TI is not the norm, just because it happened with the 780TI and 980TI not mean we will receive x80 TI forever, they have worked as counter for AMD cards, and this time AMD have nothing to compete so not reason to flood the market with high-end cards instead of milk some money.

HBM2 is expensive and not needed right now except for being a good marketing piece.. nothing more, nothing else.. I said two weeks ago in the "Titan P" I would prefer a 1000$(1200$ with FE crap) Titan G5X than a 1300$ (1500$ FE crap) Titan HBM2, this day came to be true and here is the 1200$ G5X I wanted to pay for... however im in no hurry, this time I want to wait and see what AMD launch, this was surely not expected at this date so nvidia may know a few things or two that we don't know. ;)

Titan XP

But seriously, this Titan XP IS the 1080 Ti in disguise. I mean we know there's a 610mm² GP100 that uses HBM2, and whatever this is, it's NOT GP100.

GP102 is GP100 with crippled DP and all compute performance, that's all.. nothing more and nothing else...

Vega might compete with the 1070 and reach for the 1080. No way in hell it is going to get remotely close to the new Titan. They would need more years of R&D to overcome the Hector Ruiz selloff years. They are years behind Intel and Nvidia. That's why they can almost get there, but never eclipse them.

Wonder if there will be a Titan MCC Founder's Edition. Founder's Edition should be +$300 this time to round the price off to $1,500.

All Titan cards have technically been "Founders Edition" cards.
Same cooler, no AIB cards, premium price.

But that has been kinda lost in people "I feel offended" rants...

Sidenote:
THIS is what I call a HIGH-end GPU...GTX 1080 doesn't look so high-end now, eh?

Not really if you compare this with the Original Titan and Titan Black... nvidia is doing everything exactly as what they did with kepler.. except with the timelines but the launch of cards are almost identically in terms of performance over the past generation, This may be the original Titan then later they can even launch another Titan with HBM2, depending on how well HBM2 marketing works for the highest end HBM2 AMD Vega Card... if even with that amd is unable to compete with nvidia then they may just cut the GP102 and launch the 1080TI, but why are we waiting for a 1080TI? 1080TI is not the norm, just because it happened with the 780TI and 980TI not mean we will receive x80 TI forever, they have worked as counter for AMD cards, and this time AMD have nothing to compete so not reason to flood the market with high-end cards instead of milk some money.

HBM2 is expensive and not needed right now except for being a good marketing piece.. nothing more, nothing else.. I said two weeks ago in the "Titan P" I would prefer a 1000$(1200$ with FE crap) Titan G5X than a 1300$ (1500$ FE crap) Titan HBM2, this day came to be true and here is the 1200$ G5X I wanted to pay for... however im in no hurry, this time I want to wait and see what AMD launch, this was surely not expected at this date so nvidia may know a few things or two that we don't know. ;)

GP102 is GP100 with crippled DP and all compute performance, that's all.. nothing more and nothing else...

Original Titan and Titan Black were both built upon GK110. GK110 was the absolute best Kepler chip you could buy from nVidia, since even the top Tesla cards of their time used the exact same chip (OG Titan = K20X, Titan Black = K40). In fact the Titans were probably salvage parts that didn't meet the Tesla specifications if I had to guess.

Not the case here. Tesla P100 uses GP100 with HBM2, this Titan X uses GDDR5X so there's no way it's GP100, because you'd have to design entirely different memory controllers for GDDR5X vs HBM2. Anyway we'll find out the exact specs when reviews drop so no point arguing about this now.

If Vega turns out good, then this gives AMD an excuse to sell a $1200 video card.
They're not going to be selling a $1200 card because a good Vega will be a Vega that meets or beats the 1080 by a respectable amount and costs considerably less.

That's just a scumbag move tbh because it completely cuts out the AIB partners on the highest margin part. (and also no EVGA warranty)

I think the writing's on the wall: nVidia IS the Apple of GPUs now.

It is a premium product that appeals to an extreme niche, so I doubt the AIB partners ever made much on them. Also NVIDIA stillpumps out a considerably superior product to AMD so they can get away with charging a premium, if that makes them like Apple they are in good company.

With all that being said, GG to those who bought the 1080, especially the Founders Edition. :ROFLMAO: Luckily for you guys the supply is so bad right now you could easily flip even a sued 1080 for a small profit on eBay.
For most people the 1080 was already more than enough, I will keep my 1080.

Hmmm, so this will cost a bit less than what I paid for my SLI 980Ti, while being about the same speed, minus SLI issues (not that I have many).

I wonder, it has the same name as old Titan X, but it's Pascal architecture. It's a pity that old Titan X water blocks won't fit. Unless they designed it exactly like the old Titan X, which is unlikely.

It is a premium product that appeals to an extreme niche, so I doubt the AIB partners ever made much on them. Also NVIDIA stillpumps out a considerably superior product to AMD so they can get away with charging a premium, if that makes them like Apple they are in good company.

For most people the 1080 was already more than enough, I will keep my 1080.

The same could be said for the original Titan, Titan Black, Titan X, and most definitely Titan Z. Yet AIB partners all sold this card. There's just no defending this cutting out the middleman.

I would've expected them to include EVGA at the least since they are their largest, closest, and most loyal partner, but even they got dropped this round it seems.

Hmmm, so this will cost a bit less than what I paid for my SLI 980Ti, while being about the same speed, minus SLI issues (not that I have many).

I wonder, it has the same name as old Titan X, but it's Pascal architecture. It's a pity that old Titan X water blocks won't fit. Unless they designed it exactly like the old Titan X, which is unlikely.

If you run your 980 Ti SLI bone stock then maybe. OC vs OC I'm gonna wager it'll be up to 50% in select games, with 35% being more the average.

The same could be said for the original Titan, Titan Black, Titan X, and most definitely Titan Z. Yet AIB partners all sold this card. There's just no defending this cutting out the middleman.
I don't understand why this bothers people. Nvidia could give half their money to charity and the lot of you would cry foul.

If you haven't experienced EVGA's warranty/CS before then yeah you probably wouldn't understand.

Ha, I knew they were going to gimp the Titan this time around. If they did the full 600mm^2 it could be very hard for them to get good gains out of the next Titan.

I'll pass. Maybe when they have a full 16nm^2 chip with HBM2 I'll give a damn.

Ha, I knew they were going to gimp the Titan this time around. If they did the full 600mm^2 it could be very hard for them to get good gains out of the next Titan.

A 12 billion transistor 11 tflop card is gimped? You do realize that full pascal is not a gaming gpu, so it makes since to make changes.

There won't be an HBM2 600mm² chip if AMD doesn't force their hand, and I don't see that happening any time soon.

A 12 billion transistor 11 tflop card is gimped? You do realize that full pascal is not a gaming gpu, so it makes since to make changes.

I was hoping for a full 600mm^2 chip on this node and then tiny increments gains afterwards (think Intel). They could have done a gaming GPU at 600mm^2 if they wanted...

I was hoping for a full 600mm^2 chip on this node and then tiny increments gains afterwards (think Intel). They could have done a gaming GPU at 600mm^2 if they wanted...
But is it necessary? And that is the big question just because we think they should do something does not mean they really need to or should right now.

But is it necessary? And that is the big question just because we think they should do something does not mean they really need to or should right now.

For them? No, and that's why I've been speculating they'd give us a half assed Titan. It makes more sense for them. They keep the air cooling and volume produciton. In a year and a half they can go up in mm^2 and Jen-Hsun can walk around the stage talking about how big his Titan P is.

For me ideally they'd go all out in the beginning and I don't have to worry about purchasing a GPU for five years. Like it is on the Intel CPU side of things.

For them? No, and that's why I've been speculating they'd give us a half assed Titan. It makes more sense for them. They keep the air cooling and volume produciton. In a year and a half they can go up in mm^2 and Jen-Hsun can walk around the stage talking about how big his Titan P is.

For me ideally they'd go all out in the beginning and I don't have to worry about purchasing a GPU for five years. Like it is on the Intel CPU side of things.
So I do not see this as half assed at all, also it makes little business to max a product out to its full extant from the start, especially if you know you need to iterate the design to truly give your customers the best experience. Also they need to make new cards and sell them every year you don,t design your business away.

So I do not see this as half assed at all, also it makes little business to max a product out to its full extant from the start, especially if you know you need to iterate the design to truly give your customers the best experience. Also they need to make new cards and sell them every year you don,t design your business away.

Yeah well I'll wait for Vega 11 and the full Titan. I'm not into half assed products made to gouge the consumer.

Yeah well I'll wait for Vega 11 and the full Titan. I'm not into half assed products made to gouge the consumer.
11 tflops and 12 billion transistors is not half-assed, and guess what you don't have to buy it.

I'd gladly pay their demands if only I could afford it.............

Umm... There are TWO Vega GPUs. The bigger one will inevitably compete with Gp102 else it has no reason to exist.

Lol what are you saying. Those 'four' tiers are just two GPUs just like Vega 10nand Vega 11

I've never bought an over-priced flagship product before, but you know what? I *AM* gunna get me one of these! :cool:

$1200 is better than the $1500 I was expecting. That's actually a bloody good price considering how much life you'll get out of this card. AMD are just so far behind.

I've never bought an over-priced flagship product before, but you know what? I *AM* gunna get me one of these! :cool:

$1200 is better than the $1500 I was expecting. That's actually a bloody good price considering how much life you'll get out of this card. AMD are just so far behind.

Just realize there will be HBM2 cards next year and it wouldn't surprise me if there's a 600mm^2 die. Get those two things and I believe we're out of tech jumps for a long, long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back