New thin laptop, 13" - Asus, Samsung or (gasp!) Apple?

TechHead

2[H]4U
So I'm looking for a thin and light 13" laptop, with a screen resolution of 1600*900 minimum, and a budget of ~1400 USD. My choices appear to be the Asus UX32VD, Samsung Series 9, and the rMBP 13".

I use Windows exclusively, but my wife has an rMBP 15" which she swears by. I was leaning toward the Samsung, but the default 128GB model has a shitty Sandisk U100 SSD, which I will need to upgrade to a Crucial/AData model, which will add another ~200USD for a 256GB model.. but the base Samsung is 1029$ at Amazon, which makes the total cost ~1250USD, which is within my budget.

The rMBP is a minimum of 1400USD for the 128GB version, plus the cost of a Windows 8 license - I refuse to use OSX, as my office workflow is entirely in Windows. How does it work with Bootcamp? Any experience with the Samsung or Asus laptops? Which one would you guys recommend?

I hear that bootcamp is not worth it due to limited driver support, although, that is anecdotal evidence, not my own experience (not a mac user). If you aren't going to be using OSX at least 1/2 the time, I would probably steer clear.

Have you considered the Samsung Series 7 Ultra that was shown at CES 2013? There is talk that they are starting to show up at Best Buys now around your price range. Specs are awesome: 1920x1080, decent battery life, small size, AND discreet graphics, which is pretty unheard of in an ultrabook.

I hear that bootcamp is not worth it due to limited driver support, although, that is anecdotal evidence, not my own experience (not a mac user). If you aren't going to be using OSX at least 1/2 the time, I would probably steer clear.

Have you considered the Samsung Series 7 Ultra that was shown at CES 2013? There is talk that they are starting to show up at Best Buys now around your price range. Specs are awesome: 1920x1080, decent battery life, small size, AND discreet graphics, which is pretty unheard of in an ultrabook.

Wow, look at the bezel on that thing. They could've fit a 14" screen in that body no problem. Everything else is pretty sweet though.

^Thanks for the link to the 7 Ultra - I am going to order from Amazon and send it over to some relatives in Phoenix, who will bring it back to India with them in May.
Will take a look at that as well.

Yeah, I saw this at my local best buy. It was going for $999 which I consider a fantastic deal for what you get.

I can't find any information on these things other than some misc links like you posted. When are they gonna be available? Where? Best Buy seems to have no idea what I am talking about (surprising I know).

Here's a link to the bestbuy page. I played around with it instore and it's a pretty nice machine. Unfortunately it's the model with integrated graphics and not discrete grfx. So far I haven't seen anywhere else sell the Series 7 Ultra. My guess is the discrete grfx one will prob be $1100-$1200. Does have a very nice high rez touch screen though.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/SAMSUNG...8863724042&skuId=8047065&st=8047065&cp=1&lp=1

I can't find any information on these things other than some misc links like you posted. When are they gonna be available? Where? Best Buy seems to have no idea what I am talking about (surprising I know).

Yeah, I have been scouring the internet off and on since it was announced back at CES. I have also only been able to find it in the wild at best buy (unfortunately, also the underpowered version). Not sure what is up, as I can't ever seem to find more details on release dates/pricing.

Yeah, I have been scouring the internet off and on since it was announced back at CES. I have also only been able to find it in the wild at best buy (unfortunately, also the underpowered version). Not sure what is up, as I can't ever seem to find more details on release dates/pricing.

The 2 must haves for me are : 256gb SSD & 8gb+ RAM (or user upgradeable preferably). Looks like the near perfect machine for me otherwise. I do want to go mess around with the KB. I think I might dislike them all after typing on my GT60 Steelseries KB.

Just bought a 13" rMBP (first Mac) a couple months ago. I have Windows running using Parallels and it actually blew me away. I still have my Asus G-series for gaming, but everything else is now done on the Mac. I have heard for years from friends about switching, but was resistant because I've been around since the 8088, 10mb HDD days. I will say this though, if your work is Windows based, a Mac probably shouldn't be on the list, I have 3 out of 14 Windows programs not working yet under Parallels.:( and it's not going to be a smooth fix either.

Just bought a 13" rMBP (first Mac) a couple months ago. I have Windows running using Parallels and it actually blew me away. I still have my Asus G-series for gaming, but everything else is now done on the Mac. I have heard for years from friends about switching, but was resistant because I've been around since the 8088, 10mb HDD days. I will say this though, if your work is Windows based, a Mac probably shouldn't be on the list, I have 3 out of 14 Windows programs not working yet under Parallels.:( and it's not going to be a smooth fix either.

VMware Fusion in Unity mode. Screw Parallels.

I have to admit that this looks like a pretty awesome machine. Does anyone know if this Ultra 7 730U3E model has Samsung's "PLS" technology (their equivalent to IPS)? I can't seem to find a reference for it.

OP, I have also been eyeing the Asus UX32VD myself (since it has an IPS screen that is also considered as having one of the best color accuracy ratings - important for photographers, graphic artists, etc.) but wanted to wait and see what Haswell has to offer in a few months. Even if Haswell is a dud, the new wave of laptops will drive the UX32VD's price down.

Similarly, I am curious to see the 2nd gen of Hybrid machines (i5 tablets that "dock" and transform into a full laptop). If Haswell can improve i5 battery life for tablets while giving me a digitzer, I might be swayed. But I digress...... :eek:

Back