New Thermalright Silver Arrow TR4

You just highlighted one of the primary reasons (other than performance) why I continue to purchase their heatsinks for every build I've done since 2004. Usually unboxing videos are stupid to watch simply because we all have the same experience of dealing with the crap wrapping only to get to the product underneath. This isn't true with Thermalright, and is why I'm glad you are showing everyone the unboxing.

Thermalright lets the results speak for themselves. Plain brown cardboard box, with everything packaged with care and precision, and nickel plating so clean you would thought every assembly line worker was wearing rubber gloves and wiping everything with alcohol. No flashy graphics and buzzwords only to open the box to "a bag full of nothing" (1:27).

Last edited:
Price?

value.png

140mm fan ... smart. Eight heat pipes ... not so sure that many will really make a difference (practically speaking). Heat removal AT THE LID's SURFACE is the issue and one can only draw away so much heat using a finned cooler regardless how much air you blow on the fins or after a certain number (6 ???) of heat pipes are used.

Nice looking cooler, though I'm not into anything Red

140mm fan ... smart. Eight heat pipes ... not so sure that many will really make a difference (practically speaking). Heat removal AT THE LID's SURFACE is the issue and one can only draw away so much heat using a finned cooler regardless how much air you blow on the fins or after a certain number (6 ???) of heat pipes are used.

You need that many heatpipes to cover the die footprint fully across the short path. So yeah, it means a fuckton in practicality. You "at the lid's surface" theory has proved to be not worth a shit for TR cooling.

"Finned cooler"... Last I checked there aren't too many coolers that have no fins, and the ones that do are reserved for chipsets and vrms (and technically are heatspreaders).

The issue isn't so much the number of heatpipes but their coverage across the heatspreader. You may want to re-watch Kyle's video again where he shows clearly the Thermalright HSF base perfectly matches and fully covers the Threadripper's heatspreader. Really, it comes down to the combination of both. I've seen setups with 4 x 8mm heatpipes perform just as well as 6 x 6mm heatpipes simply because of how big that particular CPU's heatspreader was. That example was on an older CPU, not on a Threadripper. It's on the manufacturer to design their heatsinks well to fully leverage and balance the size and number of heatpipes. From my personal experience on my machines as well as those I build for others, Noctua and Thermalright tend to be the best at it while Coolermaster is one of the worst.

good to know, thanks but ...

who would use a finned cooler with a top of the line CPU anyways ? Just get a Fractal Design S36 and the copper will have no problem MORE THAN covering the CPU lid (what's the big deal about how 'perfectly' the finned cooler's base covered the TR right to the edge?).

The problem with all the hype marking lies people do day after day and year after year is, they get lost in it and then can't get out ... it becomes who they are
https://m.hardocp.com/article/2017/10/30/ek_supremacy_evo_threadripper_tr4_waterblock_review

You can't just throw water at it and expect everything to go well. It depends on how well the specific cooler performs, which Kyle intends to find out.

who would use a finned cooler with a top of the line CPU anyways ? Just get a Fractal Design S36 and the copper will have no problem MORE THAN covering the CPU lid (what's the big deal about how 'perfectly' the finned cooler's base covered the TR right to the edge?).
Those that do not want to put water in their systems. Not even sure what you are going on about in the rest of that sentence. Covering the Integrated Heat Spreader has meant not a lot when it comes to cooling Threadripper. I guess that is what you are calling a "lid." Anyway. How many Threadrippers have you worked with cooling on? And overclocking those? And how many coolers exactly?

I have had a couple water cooling setups including a few all in one systems... but I keep going back to high end air coolers. Spending the cheddar just doesn't make sense.
Spending the Cheddar for TR overclocking is all that really does make sense. You want to run any CPU stock, why would you use anything but air.

WOW! Holy beejeesus! Don't even have TR and I'm jealous of that beast.

Thanks Kyle, awesome vid. I now know when I do get around to an AMD build which brand I'll be using for my cooler.

Looking forward to your results!

I think the 8 heatpipe design will pull ahead of the Noctua 6x6mm heatpipe design for the larger die higher TDP TR CPUs.

Sure, as in de-LID tool :cool:
Just making sure we are on the same page. Outside of your single example, I have never hear an IHS referred to as a lid. And given that you are using some odd nomenclature, trying to address your thoughts properly.

Reactions: _l_
like this
Never watched an unboxing that made me tumescent before. That thing is a work of art.

Looks like it would be rather easy to go triple fan with it. Anyone know if that's a possibility?

Looks like it would be rather easy to go triple fan with it. Anyone know if that's a possibility?
Probably wouldn't help much. That's a beast of a 140mm fan, with good static pressure and decent airflow. Except on full load, it'd probably be fine even overclocked.

Of course, it probably wouldn't hurt either. So if you wanted to, zip-ties or rubber bands are always an option.

Of course, it probably wouldn't hurt either. So if you wanted to, zip-ties or rubber bands are always an option.
I am fairly sure that there are extra fan brackets in there for doing just that. I have not broken it all down yet. Busy here today.

good to know, thanks but ...

The problem with all the hype marking lies people do day after day and year after year is, they get lost in it and then can't get out ... it becomes who they are

If I'm using a Threadripper in any sort of critical environment, where I can't afford downtime, then I'd much rather use an air cooler over an AIO or open loop system. Put simply, air coolers are reliable. You trade some top end for that reliability, but in this situation I wouldn't be overclocking the CPU very hard anyway.

What matters is the amount of heat the cooler can remove. It doesn't matter whether your cooling medium is air, water, or LN2. All that matters is heat and your system's ability to move it from the CPU to outside the case. AIOs are all the new hotness, if you'll forgive the pun, but air coolers still have a place, even in HEDT systems.

If I'm using a Threadripper in any sort of critical environment, where I can't afford downtime, then I'd much rather use an air cooler over an AIO or open loop system. Put simply, air coolers are reliable. You trade some top end for that reliability, but in this situation I wouldn't be overclocking the CPU very hard anyway.

What matters is the amount of heat the cooler can remove. It doesn't matter whether your cooling medium is air, water, or LN2. All that matters is heat and your system's ability to move it from the CPU to outside the case. AIOs are all the new hotness, if you'll forgive the pun, but air coolers still have a place, even in HEDT systems.
You do realize that a fan can fail just as suddenly as a pump, right? What system do you have in place to address that and keep your uptime? Maybe going with an air cooler is ideal for YOU. I've run my two pumps in series for redundancy for over 9 years, neither has failed on me yet, through two major upgrades. In general it would be considered overkill, but this works for ME. I HAVE replaced all my fans in that time frame however.

You do realize that a fan can fail just as suddenly as a pump, right? What system do you have in place to address that and keep your uptime? Maybe going with an air cooler is ideal for YOU. I've run my two pumps in series for redundancy for over 9 years, neither has failed on me yet, through two major upgrades. In general it would be considered overkill, but this works for ME. I HAVE replaced all my fans in that time frame however.
True, but stagnant water in a small block doesn't remove heat as efficiently as open air in a fin array, and a fan is much easier to replace than a pump in a loop (and less expensive, though pumps don't fail often). Like he said, whatever works best, just don't expect any aio to just work.

Sure, fans can fail, but pumps tend to fail more often and more spectacularly. If a line in a water system breaks, I could have my whole system hosed down with liquid, which should be non-conductive, but may no longer be. If a fan breaks, the system shuts down on thermal overheat protection and I can replace it with minimal damage.

Sure, fans can fail, but pumps tend to fail more often and more spectacularly. If a line in a water system breaks, I could have my whole system hosed down with liquid, which should be non-conductive, but may no longer be. If a fan breaks, the system shuts down on thermal overheat protection and I can replace it with minimal damage.
D5 pumps are pretty tough little beasts. They probably last longer than most fans when not abused. Well, cheap fans at least.

Bumping this because after almost a month, there are still no US stores showing this thing. Its all over TaoBao though.

Going to be fun when that TY-143 spools up. Goes way past 11. 2500rpm beast.

At least they had the decency to hide possibly the worst color combo for a fan between the towers. Be so much sexier in all black or even black & white like the TY-147a.

Happy to see TR (Thermalright) bring back the big dog. Definitely added to my cooler list for next year's Zen 2 build.

Wish TR would up their distribution game too. Only 'authorized' Thermalright outlet in North America is Nan's or their Amazon shop.

Last edited:
We understand. Testing paper launched GPUs can be grueling. Not just on the imagination either.
I have been knee deep in TR2 still. Many articles to be written. I know, I know, I took two days off this weekend to sleep and spend time with the family....

Does anyone know if this will block the top pcie slot in most x399 boards? Like asrock?

Back