New TF2 update is out, and it's..............hats?

MatDef

Supreme [H]ardness
http://store.steampowered.com/news/2428/

Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Game Changes

• Reworked the character loadout screens to support future features
  • Added the ability for players to permanently delete items from their inventory using the new Backpack menu. This does not reset achievements. Once an item has been deleted it can never be re-earned
  • Added the ability for players to reset their player stats using the Reset Stats button on the Stats menu. This does not reset achievements
  • Added a "player_teleported" game event that is sent when a player is teleported
  • Updated cp_junction_final to score per-capture instead of per-round. This fixes the map not working correctly with Tournament mode and the stopwatch
  • Scouts now drop the flag if they're carrying it when they start phasing

Fixes

• Fixed instances where Steam connection problems would cause some unlocked items to be unusable
  • Fixed the custom crosshair menu not clearing itself when "None" is selected for non-English clients
  • Fixed warning about not being able to execute skill1.cfg when starting the dedicated server
More info here:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=844720

Most interesting part is at the bottom:

"TF_Wearable_Headgear" "Headgear"
"TF_Unique_Headgear_Scout" "Batter's Helmet"
"TF_Unique_Headgear_Sniper" "Tooth Belt"
"TF_Unique_Headgear_Soldier" "Soldier's Helmet"
"TF_Unique_Headgear_Demoman" "Fro"
"TF_Unique_Headgear_Medic" "Medic's Helmet"
"TF_Unique_Headgear_Pyro" "Pyro's Helmet"
"TF_Unique_Headgear_Heavy" "Football Helmet"
"TF_Unique_Headgear_Engineer" "Mining Helmet"
"TF_Unique_Headgear_Spy" "Spy's Helmet"
So, who wants a fro? :p

Edit: Found a screenshot of the new "backpack"
svnkns.png

This sounds like an interesting..but mostly stupid idea.

Is it just for looks or will it give stats? less chance of headshots?

I don't....uhhh...understand this.

You can permanently remove one of your achievement items and never get it back?

Why would anyone do that??

I am so confused.....

Thank God for the 'reset stats' button, though. 2 years late imo....

It's hilarious that it takes a team as big as valve this long to put a stats reset button in especially considering there was originally one there and it was removed!

And when they finally do it, it doesn't affect the achievements...crazy

I don't....uhhh...understand this.

You can permanently remove one of your achievement items and never get it back?

Why would anyone do that??

No idea, seems bizarre.

The stats reset is of no use to me, my stats are not farmed. I can see the use if you do.

Good to see a fix for cp_junction_final (my favourite map) as I would lose my stats regularly if quiting out before the 90 minute round had finished.

TF2 is like an rpg now? i didnt played in a year... did i miss something?

I thought when it auto-updated this morning it was the Sniper update coming down. :rolleyes:

When I first saw this I though it was a joke. Something seems a bit off about all of this though, it's not in line with the original direction Valve seemed to be taking with TF2.

I don't get the new backpack, I'll have to check it out tonight.

Seriously why grenades, if I wanted grenades I would play Cod4. The 'nade spamming in that is a game breaker.

Last edited:
wtf did you start renting about grenades when there wasn't any word on that in the main post :O

wtf did you start renting about grenades when there wasn't any word on that in the main post :O

You should read the link to the thread on the SteamPowered forum. As OP posted it we can surely comment, no?

been an avid TF2 gamer since the start, and this update doesn't smell right to me... I smell a fake... or a serious fuck up...

been an avid TF2 gamer since the start, and this update doesn't smell right to me... I smell a fake... or a serious fuck up...

Is real. you know how valve is, they listen to every single little whiner on the steamforums, i like grenades, 3-pg has had custom grenades for months and months.

I dont think the backpack is for unlocked weapons, I think its probably for picking up weapons on the battlefield? I dunno, it seems like a primer for a future set of updates.

This just in - Valve has been taken over by a group of Korean MMORPGFPS developers. They have seized all TF2 assets and will begin slowly morphing the game into something ridiculously awful.

That is all.

I dont think the backpack is for unlocked weapons, I think its probably for picking up weapons on the battlefield? I dunno, it seems like a primer for a future set of updates.

"Picking up unique weapons on the battlefield" is one the dumbest ideas I have EVER heard.

Not saying that isn't what Valve is doing, just that it would be really, really stupid.

There was code in there that had "afro" in it for the demo-man which sounds like a dumb idea. I hope Valve does not make this game goofier with the headgear. How about focus on releasing the rest of the updates for the character classes.

Dear lord. TF2 is nothing like what I had originally paid for. How do I get it back?

"Picking up unique weapons on the battlefield" is one the dumbest ideas I have EVER heard.

Not saying that isn't what Valve is doing, just that it would be really, really stupid.

Well despite some really good talent at valve they still do some epically stupid things so, who knows.

This sounds like an interesting..but mostly stupid idea.

Is it just for looks or will it give stats? less chance of headshots?

I just think it's stupid.

I'm curious about the same thing, regarding stats. Please keep your gooey MMO stuff off my FPS, por favor.

There was code in there that had "afro" in it for the demo-man which sounds like a dumb idea. I hope Valve does not make this game goofier with the headgear. How about focus on releasing the rest of the updates for the character classes.

That would be good Spy, Soldier, Demoman, Engineer before superficial headgear updates. I wonder if headwear will play any part in the game except aesthetics, will this affect the sniper headshots for instance

Backpack to pick-up items on the battllefield sounds like a poor idea. A scout wielding a backburner for instance. It'll be total anarchy. Each class should stick to its main traits and abilities.

I don't understand why anyone would want to reset their stats...or their achievements. What's wrong with grenades? I used to play a lot of Star Wars Battlefront where I was able to throw thermal detonators; when I started playing TF2 I kept trying to throw 'em and was like, "Oh yeah, I don't have grenades."

More info on the planned updates, trading items could be cool.

Shack: How will these items work on a basic level? Will they randomly drop from players that people kill?

Robin Walker: We're going to try a few different things, but the first ones won't manifest themselves inside the game itself, because it'd allow servers to cheat the system.

Shack: Will players be able to trade these items?

Robin Walker: This is a good example of the kind of decision we'll be listening to the players around. If it's something they all want to do, then yep, you can expect us to do it.

Shack: Some users are concerned that you can permanently delete hard-won items from your backpack. Should they be? How is that system intended to work?

Robin Walker: Not really. We put in some strong wording in the update to discourage them from doing it for now, but as soon as the next update ships they'll be able to find any item, including ones they've deleted in the past. The reason we shipped it in the last update, even though there was no real reason at all to use it, was to get some real world testing. So thanks to the 270 people who went ahead and deleted items! In addition, it gave our support team some warmup practice in handling the inevitable customer issues resulting from this kind of system

More here from Robin Walker

Last edited:
After reading the above interview which mentioned 'negative feedback from unlockables and achivements', I have a idea what the backpack is.

I think you can obtain the special weapons by picking them up instead of doing those teadious achivements. This is a good idea especially for new players and casuals that don't want to waste time farming items.
Permanently deleting items won't actually mean you can't permanantly use the item again since you can pick it up again.

No, a scout wont be weilding a backburner...lol cmon Valve isn't THAT stupid.

Certainly a good thing that easier unlockables are going to make the game more accessible

I really hope items will be swappable, this will add a new dimension to the community. Swapping items between friends for instance.

Looks as if you will be able to change the appearance of characters making them unique. Nice idea.

Last edited:
I hope they don't give the characters any dumb looking hats. The game does not need to be any more goofier.

I hope they don't give the characters any dumb looking hats. The game does not need to be any more goofier.

Alot of servers already have stupid party hats and all sorts of crap on their heads. But I agree, the game is hilarious to actually watch, but I don't want it to get any goofier.

I just think it's stupid.

I'm curious about the same thing, regarding stats. Please keep your gooey MMO stuff off my FPS, por favor.

Just a question...

How is an online FPS played with many other players not a MMO? Is it not a "massively multiplayer online fps"?

Back