New Tesla Roadster Up Close and Personal

Simple exterior is nice, simple (overly so) interior is not. The roadster was set as a "performance" car, there NEEDS to be a static instrument cluster in front of the driver, and the F1 style wheel? Really? You telling me that this car has a steering response rate to be maneuverable enough on the street? These work on the track because moving around parking lots and making U turns are not something F1 cars do. And if you did up the steering ratio enough to be usable, it's going to be a twitch monster on the highway.

Simple exterior is nice, simple (overly so) interior is not. The roadster was set as a "performance" car, there NEEDS to be a static instrument cluster in front of the driver, and the F1 style wheel? Really? You telling me that this car has a steering response rate to be maneuverable enough on the street? These work on the track because moving around parking lots and making U turns are not something F1 cars do. And if you did up the steering ratio enough to be usable, it's going to be a twitch monster on the highway.
You go into controller settings and change the sensitivity.

I mean maybe they have some really wild variable ratio speed-based steering magic they pulled out, otherwise I agree with you, and even then that steering "wheel" isn't something I'd personally want. Is it going to have a KITT voice pack talking at you too?

Agree with BlueFireIce...
The exterior is very sexy, like I want one now sexy!
Interior looks cheap and not attractive at all to me.
The "display" or whatever that ugliness is that is wrapping down towards center console/armrest section hurts my eyes to look at. Tesla, please kill that idea and replace.

Ugh, I'd rather own one of the old ones. I do not like the styling and interior functionality direction of the new Teslas at all.

Did you see the Grand Tour episode last week where Jeremy Clarkson reviewed a Tesla? He literally had to have lawyers watch over him because that's the only car manufacturer that sues if they get a bad review. Fuck them.

Did you see the Grand Tour episode last week where Jeremy Clarkson reviewed a Tesla? He literally had to have lawyers watch over him because that's the only car manufacturer that sues if they get a bad review. Fuck them.

Or it's because last time he was pushing a false narrative about their cars catching on fire? Cry me a fucking river.

IMO it looks like a pretty standard design sports car wannabe look, ie. pretty boring design wise in comparison to their other cars which stick out among the crowd, obviously this could be both a good n bad thing but curious why Tesla adopts such a standard supersportcar look. Probably lots of fun bottoming that pedal tho. :)

I think I know where Musk got his inspiration for the Roadster though...
the eagle.jpg

Last edited:
Dang! You done messed up that classic! :)
It is a good looking car too. His father bought it in 1981, but it had the LG4 165hp carburetor motor in it, so it was pretty sluggish.
He swapped out the LT1 for an LS3 a number of years later though.
82 ta side.jpg

Going to have to agree with this. The interior looks like the inside of a Matchbox car.

When the original Roadster was seen on top gear they had a script about it's performance. TG is\was presented as entertaining car reviews when really it was almost entirely bullshit.

Clarkson is a complete asshole who deserves to be sued to the moon and back. Fuck that guy.

This. Steering yoke on a street car is a no-go for me. Added to the fact I will never buy a car that doesn't have a traditional instrument cluster whether it be analog or digital. Tesla can fuck right off with their "iPad" UI.

I'm pretty sure it's so quiet that you'll be able to hear the crying/sobbing from the guy you just smoked many yards back.

Depends on the car, and only up to about 100-120mph and only in a drag race. Awesome cars, as everyone seems to think I am bashing on them, which I am not, just pointing it out, much like I do when people start touching them selves about the Dodge Demon, it's a one trick pony, but hey, if you are only into 1/4 mile, go for it, they are great fun at what they do. And I know many people into drag racing only, if that is what you want, or street racing Tesla will fit the bill pretty well.

When the original Roadster was seen on top gear they had a script about it's performance. TG is\was presented as entertaining car reviews when really it was almost entirely bullshit.

Clarkson is a complete asshole who deserves to be sued to the moon and back. Fuck that guy.

Top Gear and the Grand Tour are and always will be scripted. HOWEVER they were showing an actual problem with the cars, Tesla's complaint was that when they were shown pushing the car that it still had charge left, TG was making a point that when you track the car or use it in a performance way, range PLUMMETS, and they over heat and go into limp mode, as has been seen over and over again, I remember the one driver who wanted to see what lap times it would put in at the ring and so took it there to see....It didn't even make it around the track before going into limp mode for the motors over heating. It was a known issue with the cars that no one wanted to talk about, big time Tesla.

Is JC an asshole? Fuck yeah, everyone knows this. But Tesla also got mad that someone started talking about the issues the cars have and is what the whole lawyer segment was about with the last GT show. For some reason people expect them to drool over the cars and say nothing bad about them, much like the review of one of the Ferrari and Lambo....It never happened, because they wanted to throw in a 918 as well and Ferrari and Lambo wanted to have their own teams there to support the cars, wanted a contract on what they could say AND would not allow TG to race them against the 918, some MFGs get pretty crazy about stuff like this, from suing to refusing to allow the show to ever get any more cars to test. Back before Chris Harris was on TG, Ferrari already didn't like him and refused to let him test any cars, the few he did test he had to borrow from viewers because he said some somethings about past cars that didn't praise them and he didn't agree with them sending teams to retune the car, change suspension settings, tires etc etc to suit every road condition as it didn't represent the car people were going to buy.

This. Steering yoke on a street car is a no-go for me. Added to the fact I will never buy a car that doesn't have a traditional instrument cluster whether it be analog or digital. Tesla can fuck right off with their "iPad" UI.

Yep, would not be so bad if it was in front of the driver, but hey, I am going fast down this twisty back road, let me look over at the center console for the information that should be in my line of sight....Hell, even a normal street car, why do I want to look away from the road to see if I am doing the speed limit etc etc? Just boggles my mind. This area is the one where they are doing form over function and I HATE it, I would say it's close to the perfect EV for me if it were not for this one thing, however for me this is a big one. What I think is so funny is that one of the reasons they do this is because of autopilot and them wanting to push autonomous driving....But if that is the case, whats the point of a performance car where the whole point is for you to DRIVE IT.

It's ok. Looks curvy and has go fast bits like diffusers and carbon ceramic brakes. There are many things there I see that will probably not make it to production.

Yep, would not be so bad if it was in front of the driver, but hey, I am going fast down this twisty back road, let me look over at the center console for the information that should be in my line of sight....Hell, even a normal street car, why do I want to look away from the road to see if I am doing the speed limit etc etc? Just boggles my mind. This area is the one where they are doing form over function and I HATE it, I would say it's close to the perfect EV for me if it were not for this one thing, however for me this is a big one. What I think is so funny is that one of the reasons they do this is because of autopilot and them wanting to push autonomous driving....But if that is the case, whats the point of a performance car where the whole point is for you to DRIVE IT.

would not surprise me if it has a HUD

It has a Heads up display.

Also, I doubt the yoke will make it into production. It'll have a traditional wheel by then.

That's the whole reason I like him. Love the trio.

wow that wheel no way. how can i eat or txt on my phone if i cant drive with my knee? and before you say autopilot thats dangerous.

Back