New Technology Should Be Presumed Illegal Until Gov Says Otherwise

HardOCP News

[H] News
This seems like a fantastic idea. :rolleyes:

Whenever possible, when the law is ambiguous or silent on the issue at bar, the courts should let those who want to market new technologies carry the burden of persuasion that a new exception to the broad rights enacted by Congress should be established. That is especially so if that technology poses grave dangers to the exclusive rights that Congress has given copyright owners. Commercial exploiters of new technologies should be required to convince Congress to sanction a new delivery system and/or exempt it from copyright liability. That is what Congress intended.

Just ignore the whole constutition, that old document is soo out of date it is meaningless. /sarcasm off

God is illegal, we don't have all the facts. What fascinating technology that can supposedly control everything!

Logic 101 in our political system that gets worse and worse election after election.

Wow ... way to guarantee the US won't be competitive in new technology markets ... as foolish as a rule like this is it would only affect access to the US market ... foreign companies could still invent technologies and implement them in other jurisdictions that didn't have such a foolish rule ... copyright laws have been a little hokey since Disney pursuaded Congress to extend the copyright protection on Mickey Mouse ... we apparently need to overhaul both the copyright and patent system in this country :(

Just ignore the whole constutition, that old document is soo out of date it is meaningless. /sarcasm off

Thats why congress already re-wrote half of the constituation, cause to them, it didnt make sense, but to us senseless, dumb, common folk, it was perfectly clear.

This reads as:

Guilty until proven innocent
or
The answer is no, now what is the question?

I almost forgot the real special Olympics is in November then I read this. What a bunch of bullshit.

Yet people will dutifully go to the polls in November and revote all of these idiots back into office, then whine about how nothing has changed for another 4 years.

God is illegal, we don't have all the facts.

That's not quite what the guy is saying. He would only think God should be illegal if when God speaks to you - you hear a copyrighted Beatles song. Basically it's the "guns kill people" argument - if the tool can be used to do something illegal/undesirable then the tool should be illegal. It's still absurd, but a lot of people carry on this argument about a lot of different things: guns, gas guzzlers, drugs, 32oz sodas, gay marriage.

Hah, the Constitution... Like the Federal Government have every really followed it. :D

Yet people will dutifully go to the polls in November and revote all of these idiots back into office, then whine about how nothing has changed for another 4 years.

Even if people vote out everyone, they'll just get replaced by even more idiotic idiots that will make the next four years either seem rather tame, or worse than the last four.

CONgressional approval of new technology? What is this North Korea/Iran?

they really seem to cause problems for the people actually trying to do something

For this to work; members of congress will have to be scrutinised over. They would have to be genetically analysed for defects, and their entire history would need to be checked for error. If they put so much as one comma out of place, then they must be taken down.

So first congress says the US needs more innovation, and then this... good thinking

You guys realize that statement was made as part of an amicus brief (the opinion of an uninvolved 3rd party) and not by any governing body, right?

Sure, the guy who wrote the brief used to be the Register of Copyright, but hasn't been relevant in almost 20 years.

to me this sounds like "that technology will fuck with my profits, it stays illegal"

Considering how little work Congress actually does right now I wouldn't hold my breath that they would actually approve of something like this ... Congress actually doesn't like to review detailed requirements unless they have to ... they also don't like to do controversial things in public view (look at the law they passed to give themselves automatic pay raises unless they vote to NOT give themselves a raise, after all the controversy when they voted themselves raises every year ;) ) ... no way do they want to be involved in banning or permitting technologies that will either piss off voters, contributors, or both ... I think they will leave this system the way it is right now (market driven) ;)

Considering how little work Congress actually does right now I wouldn't hold my breath that they would actually approve of something like this ... Congress actually doesn't like to review detailed requirements unless they have to ... they also don't like to do controversial things in public view (look at the law they passed to give themselves automatic pay raises unless they vote to NOT give themselves a raise, after all the controversy when they voted themselves raises every year ;) ) ... no way do they want to be involved in banning or permitting technologies that will either piss off voters, contributors, or both ... I think they will leave this system the way it is right now (market driven) ;)

You seem to be under the impression that Senators and Representatives read the bills they pass.
That is not how it works.

They vote for or against a bill depending upon how much they are paid to support or not support a bill.

This ^

As long as R's and D's are running the country, corporate Amerika ownes the country :mad:

At least idiots like this pull away the curtains the **AA's try to pull over people's eyes.

What the fuck does the "medium" have to do with copyright law? The copyright is not granted to "X on a cassette tape", it is granted on the WORK. :rolleyes:

Just take the asshole out back and..... oh, nevermind. :cool:

At least idiots like this pull away the curtains the **AA's try to pull over people's eyes.

You know, that's a good point. Maybe we need to pay idiots like this to make a huge stink about specific bills, acts or opinions being put into laws that can cause problems, so no one can try to sneak shit to get congressional approval. Hell, I'd sanction an unaffiliated, planted congressperson to feed information anonymously to the people directly so everyone knows what's going on.

One can dream...

With Obama, I don't think it's sarcasm...

Disdain for the constitution is not limited to any one party ... both of our last two presidents have felt the need to redefine the limits of presidential and federal powers ... members of both parties seem to suffer from the dreaded cranial rectal inversion that is so common for the Washington political animal :D

That sounds exactly like someone who never read/saw Atlas Shrugged. :D

The 2nd part of the Atlas Shrugged movied will be out the int theatures in a couple weeks.

For the people who haven't/can't read the book, at least see the movie :)

good by 3D printers.. since people have successfully made working guns, next synthetic drugs and who knows what else!

Ayn Rand was one of the least well-informed contemporary (using the term loosely) philosophers of the 20th century. :( Her novels were amusing reads, but you hafta back up about half a century to Schopenhauer's time to find someone who actually put thought into philosophy. Then again, his signature work was a very, very dry read and didn't translate well from German.

You seem to be under the impression that Senators and Representatives read the bills they pass.
That is not how it works.

They vote for or against a bill depending upon how much they are paid to support or not support a bill.

This.

If a bill was drafted tomorrow that said all Americans would be slaves in the mines for eternity, it excused government officials and those enforcing it from that duty, they could jail you or shoot you if you disobeyed and they all got paid $1B each it would be passed immediately.

Back