New Team Member Intro

RFGuy_KCCO

DCOTM x4, [H]ard|DCer of the Year 2019
Hi all! Just wanted to drop in and say hello and introduce myself. I joined the [H]ard|OCP team today because the team I have been in for a while was kind of dead and there was never any communication. I've lurked around on [H] for years and love this site. After seeing how much activity there is in the forum for the [H] team, I finally decided to make the jump over here and start contributing for you guys.

Side note - Is it possible to change my user name here on [H] forums, or do I need to just create a new account? I would like my forum name here to match my BOINC user name - RFGuy_KCCO.

Anyway, as you can see below, I currently actively contribute to a number of projects. I have contributed to BOINC off and on since it began and I contributed to the original SETI project before that. I have been continuously crunching for one year now and have three dedicated BOINC boxen (Dol-Gulder, Moria, Orthanc) that crunch 24x7, as well as a laptop I sporadically use when I want to focus on certain CPU-only projects (Mirkwood). Finally, I have my main PC (in my signature - Barad-Dur) crunching almost 24x7. I hope I can help the team!

sig.png

sig-940.png

computers.jpg

Welcome to the team gwhall007 / RFGuy_KCCO, I saw you appear on GPUGrid stats yesterday, nice to have you on board !

RFGuy_KCCO, I was noticing you appeared on several projects. Glad to have you on board. Let us know what projects you prefer and whether you are interested in any of the competitions like DC-Vault or Formula-BOINC and we will get you a seat. LOL

Side note - Is it possible to change my user name here on [H] forums, or do I need to just create a new account? I would like my forum name here to match my BOINC user name - RFGuy_KCCO.

I imagine Kyle could help you with this. You might need to send him a PM and ask nicely. :D

Welcome to the team! I'm glad you made the switch, and we're more than happy to have you with the firepower you're bringing along. Like Brilong said, Kyle should be able to help. The bottom subforum for comments complaints and suggestions has occasionally had threads about switching names, to great success.

Thanks, everyone! I feel welcome here already. I will post in that last subforum and ask about changing my name there first and if that doesn't work out, I will ask Kyle very nicely. :D

RFGuy_KCCO, I was noticing you appeared on several projects. Glad to have you on board. Let us know what projects you prefer and whether you are interested in any of the competitions like DC-Vault or Formula-BOINC and we will get you a seat. LOL

Gilthanis, I hate to admit it, but I am unfamiliar with the workings of the Formula BOINC and DC-Vault competitions. As I said, my last team was fairly inactive and we never actively competed in any of these.

How can I best help the team? I am currently favoring the following projects and have stopped new work from the other projects I normally contribute to:

Primegrid (including all sub-projects)
Collatz
WUProp
Universe@Home
Milkyway
Skynet POGS
Enigma
GPUGrid

That being said, I am happy to shift some of my crunching around to accommodate the team's needs in these competitions. They sound fun and I'd love to participate, so just let me know what you'd like me to crunch and I will make the necessary changes on my end.

Last edited:
The simple math is, the more you crunch the better we do...now... here is a quick run down of the differences between the two.

DC-Vault is where many of the BOINC veterans of the team have focused in the past. That is an ongoing never ending challenge. It is a group of projects within BOINC and outside of it. So, FAH, DIMES, and many other non-BOINC projects are also tallied. The better we do at each of those projects will gain us points within the DC-Vault. Each project can only be worth a total of 10k points for first place. The more teams that participate at a project, the less value each position change is worth. Now that might seem counter productive but not really. What it really does is give teams incentives to expand outside of a few projects and support many of the less popular or smaller projects. Those projects will be worth more points per position until more teams jump on board. So, if there were 10k teams at say SETI participating in the DC-Vault, then each position would be worth only 1 point. 1st place is 10k, 2nd place is 9,999 etc...

Formula-BOINC is just a year long challenge that focuses only on BOINC projects. It requires each project to have a certain number of points for the year before it qualifies. However, they will add new projects throughout the year as new ones pop up. I believe they are added on a quarterly basis. But what it means to us is they have now created 3 different Leagues. Each league is based on what the teams over all RAC was through certain weeks of November the year before. We are currently in League 2 but next year will most likely be in League 1. Now, we get points based on how we compare at each project to other teams within our League. Since SETI.USA is in League 1 we won't have to compete with them this year. Only the top 10 teams in each League can score points at each project. If you look at their front page, it has them broke down by position. www.formula-boinc.org

You can see how our team is doing by clicking on League 2 and then click [H]ard|OCP. To the right will show our standing at each of the projects and the total number of points we have generated (this year only) at each project. If you want to know how each team is doing at a specific project, you can just click on the project name and it will pull up the numbers. This is a good way to see if it will take a lot of resources to get to the next spot or not.

We are about 80 points in the lead for our League right now. So, unless you just want to see us go to #1 in a project, we have pretty well taken our place there.

At the DC-Vault we are currently 5th over all. You can see our standings here: http://www.dc-vault.com/ And a break down here: http://www.dc-vault.com/showteam.php?team=98

Each month some of us will try and decide on a project or two to focus on to do a big push...however, nobody is obligated to do so.

DC-Vault thread: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1620596

Formula-BOINC thread: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1040849619#post1040849619

Last edited:
Thank you for that very informative post! I will check out those sites in the next couple of days. In the meantime, what are the focus projects this month? I might want to jump on them for the team.

Well... our Vault push is SIMAP which is now estimated to have work on the 10th. http://boincsimap.org/boincsimap/ SIMAP usually runs out of work each month but has more later. The great thing about them is that they post on their front page when they expect more and update it as things transpire. The down side is that SIMAP is closing its doors to BOINC by end of this year. We also have a BOINCStats challenge that starts the 10th if they have work. Otherwise they will adjust it and it is for a week long.

We also have a challenge for SETI 8/15-8/29 http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1822815 & http://www.seti-germany.de/Wow/44_en_Welcome.html

Formula-BOINC, pretty much whatever floats your boat. I'm running some Gerasim work right now. Last month I was running some Edges. Since I am an admin at the DC-Vault, I do testing of potential new projects to add... So, Formula-BOINC is a good excuse to run some of the less favorable ones.

Also, have a look at this thread and have some fun with it. :) http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1813916

Okay, I've added SIMAP to my projects on all of my computers, so I will be ready to help the effort when they have work available again. I'll also give it a higher work share on my rigs. Also noticed I needed to join the "HardOCP" team, as opposed to the "[H]ard|OCP" team. I hope that was the correct team. Saw that team on other projects, as well. Why the two different names? Sorry for all my questions!

That's also another project to potentially help me out at WUProp, so that's cool too. I admittedly tend to chase badges, since that is really our only reward for all the money we put into supporting BOINC and the other DC projects. As Naploeon said, "a soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon." The same holds true for me and the badges many projects offer. Maybe it's because I'm also a veteran? :)

I'll also plan to participate in the SETI challenge and will run it on all of my CPU's and GPU's during that time. Should be worth at least 25-30K ppd, although I have never done that with SETI and am just making a relatively educated guess. As you know, SETI awards very low points per work unit, even for GPU's. thanks to CreditNew.

I can only imagine my ppd if I dedicated all that horsepower to a project like Collatz. I'm thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-5M ppd. My current RAC on Collatz is from just my 2 7950's and 1 of my Intel 4600's. I could throw another 2 4600's, 2 7970's, a GTX770, and my GTX780Ti at it. Hmmm... :D

Last edited:
another RF Guy eh? welcome to the team :)

Okay, I've added SIMAP to my projects on all of my computers, so I will be ready to help the effort when they have work available again. I'll also give it a higher work share on my rigs. Also noticed I needed to join the "HardOCP" team, as opposed to the "[H]ard|OCP" team. I hope that was the correct team. Saw that team on other projects, as well. Why the two different names? Sorry for all my questions!

RFGuy, the team name issue happened before I was a member of the team, so can only guess at the answer. I am betting is was just not being well organized and members making unofficial teams on their own. This still technically happens since we don't vote on projects the team name is used on. So, you will find that there are a few project where we have multiple team names.

Post 5 of the All Inclusive DC List explains which name to use at each project.
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040548916&postcount=5

It isn't as clear but is also mentioned on the first post of the BOINC thread.

It is also in post 3 of the BOINC installation guide.
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040002319&postcount=3

I will be today or tomorrow writing up a new Horde Central guide that I will be able to edit myself. So, hopefully it will be a little more organized and helpful like a directory of sorts.

Again, I am glad you are letting us know where our shortcomings are for new members getting started. We have come a long way in getting BOINC organized here and still have a ways to go. All insight is appreciated. :D

Make sure to sign up for the seti challenge with the link in the sticky thread about challenges. Right now it's just Gilthanis and myself on that one. They count pre-event credits too.

Make sure to sign up for the seti challenge with the link in the sticky thread about challenges. Right now it's just Gilthanis and myself on that one. They count pre-event credits too.

To be clear when he says pre-event credits, he means work units that were pending validation or work units that were downloaded in advance and turned in later during the challenge that receive their points during the challenge. Please read my recent thread on "bunkering" to get a better understanding. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1041007637#post1041007637

At YoYo@home, you should edit your name to include [H] in it some where. Why? you might ask. Well, it is because you currently have contributed to the Muon sub project which is actually a wrapper for another non-BOINC project. At that other project, they also run a different client to do work. As like most projects they have their own stats rankings which just happen to also include work that was done through YoYo/BOINC. In order to be associated with our team, you put [H] in your name. Kinda weird how they do things like that. Here is a link to our teams accomplishments thus far. http://stephenbrooks.org/muon1/stats/?optim=*&team=[H]&sortby=Mpts&user=*&oldness=0 You will notice that they distinguish between BOINC accounts and non-BOINC.

A few of our members have yet to do this, but I can assure you it does not affect your BOINC stats in any way. Those are based on CPID and not by name specifically.

Thanks for the tip! I just changed my name on Yoyo to [H]RFGuy_KCCO.

Last edited:
Yes, I had done that last weekend. However, it had me listed by my email address, so I just fixed that. Looks like I am right behind you. :D

Yes you are. The email address was what I was going to point out next. I didn't figure you wanted that blasted all over the net. ;)

Back