New System VIDEO CARD CHOICE?

zA.Gosu

Limp Gawd
K, as the title says, i play to build a new gaming box. Cost is a factor, so no SLI T.T.

AMD64 3200 s939 (.9nm)
Zalman AlCu cooler (hopeful OC to 2.4-2.6)
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum OR A gigabyte K8NS-Ultra for $100 cheaper (im Aussie) The MSI is about 1.5 times as expensive.
X800XT OR a 6800GT Golden Sample from Gainward OR an Evga 6800GT for $100 cheaper (The x800xt is 825, the golden sample is about $785)
1gb Geil Ultra-X memory (Good buy? It's gone up to 561 DDR at anandtech)
ANtec Plus1000AMG case
Tagan 480w PSU with a few (cant remeber specs but its around 30 amps on 12v rail)
120gb WD Sata drive
Liteon DVD combo drive
XP Home
*SB Audigy 2 ZS
*Logitech Z-5300e speakers
*=already got

Now my question is, what VC should i get. Apparently the XT is a platinum edition, http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=10022 but for the price, i kind of doubt it. I will mainly play all kinds of games, esp HL2, and other DX9 games, and OGL is not a factor, as DOOM3 Sucks. I want it to last for 2 years of 12*10 gaming with high detail.

SO WHAT VC? I once thought of the GT, but now with this bargain on an xt (pe?) card, i might change my mind. Ideas?

You pay 785$ for 6800GT Golden Sample? Not even gainward.com is sending those cards to such prices... :confused:

I recommend definitely not the X800 XT, for it's 1)far too expensive and 2)it has no shader model 3.0, which would be a great thing if you really want to stay on this system 2 years.
I myself own a 6800GT Golden Sample from Gainward (GLH Edition, but this isn't really a big difference) with NV Silencer 5 on it and it's doing work perfectly well...I play every kind of games on highest res and highest detail level and I got no problems...

so: PRO Gainward GeForce 6800 GT Golden Sample!!!

Actually, it is AUSTRALIA prices, and $1 Aus is ~78 US cents, but in technology it seems 2:1 LOL. BTW, what kinda OC's are you getting? I thibk that my 2;4b (533fsb) P4, 1gb ddr266 ram and 9600xt is getting old for games.

BTW, can anyone verify that the x800xt is a PE?

Never, I repeat NEVER pay $700-$800 for a video card! Neither the XT PE or the 6800 series is worth it. Especially when the manufacturer's sugested retail price is around $400-$500. You can save yourself alot of money by purchasing either a X800pro~Vivo or a 6800GT and performing a simple bios flash thus improving performance to XT PE an Ultra standards. By the way, don't expect your cpu to reach 2.6ghz even on water.

As already said: Just order it (in case you want a geforce) directly at gainward.com.

To OC: The Golden Sample was doing right well with default cooling at 400/1100, but this is nothing special because otherwise it wouldn't be a "golden sample"^^ (attention: i already heard about a few (really, a few) examples of golden samples which didn't make the guaranteed clock of 400/1100 but only 390/1080 or something like this. but this is exception.) Now, with the Silencer on it, it's quieter than before and i get a clock of 433/1240, which is really far above ultra clock speeds. (but here again attention: I have no idea how good the memory of normal "golden samples" is OCable, maybe here at my card the 1,6ns-memory of the GLH-edition is the cause)

And don't wonder about my bad english, I'm a german^^

SocketA said:
Never, I repeat NEVER pay $700-$800 for a video card! Neither the XT PE or the 6800 series is worth it. Especially when the manufacturer's sugested retail price is around $400-$500. You can save yourself alot of money by purchasing either a X800pro~Vivo or a 6800GT and performing a simple bios flash thus improving performance to XT PE an Ultra standards. By the way, don't expect your cpu to reach 2.6ghz even on water.

dont people read? wtf? its in AUS DOLLARS! Not american

zA.Gosu said:
I will mainly play all kinds of games, esp HL2, and other DX9 games, and OGL is not a factor, as DOOM3 Sucks. I want it to last for 2 years of 12*10 gaming with high detail.

Based on this, ATi X800 XT or XT PE.

The x800 series is a very good series as well. See sig.

It just depends on which you want, a card better for dx9 or a card better for opengl.

~Adam

That's debatable but I'd say you should buy the lowest chip in the core series. For instance there are many Barton core mobile cpus out there and they all top out about 2.5ghz with somegood cooling and 2.3ghz with decent cooling. Yet some ppl have 2700+ barton mobiles and some have 2400+'s, I say get the lowest in the series with the same amount of cache and the same core and you should hit about where the higher cores in the series can hit.

Go low.

~Adam

I'd get the 6800GT by eVGA and save $100. You won't notice the difference unless you're looking at a benchmark.

It just depends on which you want, a card better for dx9 or a card better for opengl.

yea.. just get a 6800.

better for directx9 AND open gl... plus pixel shader 3.0 , which ATI CAN NOT DO.

:D :D :D

Back