New Synology owner tips/questions?

SticKx911

2[H]4U
Due to a recent thread here, you guys convinced me to go Synology for a NAS box. That said, before it gets here and I get it setup completely wrong,I thought I’d get some input on tips or settings I should consider. I’ve never used a NAS so I’m pretty new to the specifics. I skimmed through the forum, if I missed related threads, feel free to pick on me. ;)

It will serve as:
-a plex bulk storage of things hard to replace.
-Remote storage (private cloud storage for photos and such)

tentatively, It will have 2 8tb drives mirrored.

What I don’t know yet (still looking into):
-encryption
-safe remote backup procedures. I would like to put some kind of 8tb drive at my parents or something to backup to occasionally, but I’m sure that can be setup after if needed.
-convenience apps? Anything that makes managing or access safer and easier.

What Synology model did you get?
Download plex from the plex website. Synology app store can fall behind on releases.
Synology has a backup application built into the store that has client application for devices.
Security sake, if you want remote access to Synology, setup two factor authentication if possible. If not, I'd disable remote access (Outside your home network).

Want to buy another Synology for your parents house, they do have snapshot based replication features.

What Synology model did you get?
Download plex from the plex website. Synology app store can fall behind on releases.
Synology has a backup application built into the store that has client application for devices.
Security sake, if you want remote access to Synology, setup two factor authentication if possible. If not, I'd disable remote access (Outside your home network).

Want to buy another Synology for your parents house, they do have snapshot based replication features.
DS220j
Got a warehouse deal for just over $100. Figured it was worth a shot. That model gets poor reviews for cpu performance so I’ll probably keep plex on my htpc and just use the nas to store some content. (Assuming plex on another device can stream off the NAS).

Back