New Supermicro Boards

Arckanghel

n00b
Looking for a board for a Dual+ Intel PC. I'm partial to Supermicro since my old system ran one of their boards (Super PIIIDM3), but it's past it's day and needs replacement. Are newer Supermicro boards still holding their quality reputation?

I'm also open to suggestions.

I've got the 370DLi running in a 2U server that's been working great, my g/f has a X5DAE that's never misbehaved on her.
SM's are typically rock solid boards.

I'm guessing you are looking for something dual processor, but Intel or AMD?

Intel. I have almost considered AMD, but everytime I do I hear another bad thing/ incompatability.

Ive built 3 dual xeon systems on SM bords in the last 6 months, the quality is still there :p

I built my first Xeon rig using the Supermicro X5DAL-G last year and I have only good things to say about the board. The new boards that supports the new 800MHz FSB Xeons look pretty solid to with PCIe and other nice features - worth a look! ;)

the problem with the new sm boards is that they require either 533 bus or the 800 with ddr 2 (read freaking expensive and slower) memory.

There's a good reason for that: the chipsets they're based on require it. Wouldn't matter who made the motherboard in the first place.

You should consider AMD. There is a reason that Opterons are selling so fast, because they rock!

But yeah, Supermicro boards are living up to the standards.

Back