New sub 10L itx case, SilverStone RVZ02!!!

lvyelion

Limp Gawd
Saw this on tomshardware. Should have more details from CES 2015. This is a good console size PC, the only concern I have is the material, will they still use the old crappy steel frame or aluminum.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/silverstone-raven-rvz02,28312.html

Raven RVZ02

350 x 350 x 80
9.8 L
SFX and SFX-L PSU
dual-slot full length graphics card

Video is up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtpnVurPBJw

SilverstoneRavenRVZ02Cover.png

Last edited:
It's still huge if it can be done in 6.8L + stands making it 7.5L and they make it 9.8L. I think when you put it in desktop mode you'll have to add 1L making it 10.8L in volume by the stands height.

And of course is fugly...

Less silly than the RVZ01, IMO. Also a bit smaller.

Yeah, rvz01 was srsly fugly, this one has something weird in it, I'd say its because the front is surface uneven and that graphics card bay plastic cover is also weird.

It looks like they just finished the blunt and said - "fuck it, lets mix azza z with lian-li PC-O but make it smaller than rvz01" and then each of the designers imagined it differently and just before CES deadline they've put that shit together.

Last edited:
Real life pictures:

Source

They will no doubt do a ML and/or FT version for those that don't appreciate the Raven styling.

It's still huge if it can be done in 6.8L + stands making it 7.5L and they make it 9.8L. I think when you put it in desktop mode you'll have to add 1L making it 10.8L in volume by the stands height.
I wouldn't call it "huge." It's about what I'm aiming for with the LRPC, and I've gone over why that is. The extra bit of volume can mean the difference between a noisy, hot running box, and a quiet, well-behaved one. Silverstone also used the extra space for the ever-controversial addition of a slim optical drive.

Yeah, you're right. Still that's why we should drop the optical drive in our designs and make them small as possible. Again they're making a case that should fit everyone for either gaming pc, workstation or htpc.

Is there any info on windowless version? That would be a proper product. Or maybe the plastic windows are just there to show how components are packed inside?

I feel like I'm in the minority but I've kind of liked the designs Silverstone has come out lately on some of these units and I usually don't like "stylized" cases.

What, so if it's not the smallest case possible for its intended config, then it's huge? Compared to some of the HTPC/Steambox designs on these forums which haven't even been released yet, yes it's a little bigger, but it's still only 9.8L! In terms of the mainstream market, that's tiny. I don't think anything's come close so far.

I maybe overreacted, yeah, for the current market its nice, but the target of steam machine is to be comparable in format AND volume to current consoles.

I'm a little biased by this, but I think console like SFF should be around 6.5L. With its prototype valve showed us that 7L is possible.

For me its like - if the're using the plastics and heavily bent card supports(see RVZ01) they should be able to pack things tighter than us and still save some space for air and silencing filters etc.

Well, I believe for most HTPC users, an optical drive is necessary to play medias such as Blu-ray or DVD. And at 9.8L you can still use standard psu cables. But at 6.5L most non-hardcore DIYer will struggle with the cables etc. Silverstone is still a mainstream company, they have to make sure their products can be accepted by most

I personally would like to see the Valve Steam Machine prototype size cases, but most of user in a home setting, they won't notice the difference between 7L and 10L.

As for the RVZ02, I really hate the typical Silverstone steel + plastic combination. A full aluminum case would be ideal

Last edited:
Yeah I get it. That's why WE need to push it to the limits :)

There's one more thing about this case I'm interested in - SFX-L support? Anyone seen some good info on that?

What, so if it's not the smallest case possible for its intended config, then it's huge? Compared to some of the HTPC/Steambox designs on these forums which haven't even been released yet, yes it's a little bigger, but it's still only 9.8L! In terms of the mainstream market, that's tiny. I don't think anything's come close so far.
I agree, although Silverstone also tends to take half a year between announcing a product and making it available.

That's what sucks in today's market - startups go out there with innovations and they're either copied or bought out. Almost no innovation coming from the top, no matter if its a phone, computer case or a game :|

I like the windows, but the front really destroys it. I hope the best for their higher quality product lines, but knowing Silverstone they will certainly find a way to spoil deluxe materials with cheap plastic.

Its just that windows and front are from two different stories. It could've been nice brick with plexi openings or classy set top box with that front. Combined together made a little monster :)

I don't think it looks that bad, apart from the clear plastic section bolted on the side. If the panel had air vents, it would be fine.

Any shots of the internals?

As a RVZ01 owner its OK... I really don't like the windows (also not good design for filters).

I'd buy a windowless model. Sadly Silverstone don't seem to do that much. My RV03 only came with a window, and the SG05 I wanted seems to aswell.

ugly, it just looks cheap to me with the plexi on the side and the front plastic looking bezel

Pictures of the FTZ01 version of it in this article:

http://techreport.com/news/27633/uber-slim-silverstone-mini-itx-cases-can-house-dual-slot-graphics

It's described as being a little roomier on the inside. I like both of 'em, personally.

Honestly, looking at the back of those 2, it looks like they just took the shroud off the RVZ01 to drop the size down, the actual steel enclosure looks nearly identical on those 2, and the FTZ01 is just a face lifted RVZ01.

Yeah those are better, they wouldn't look too much out of place in a HiFi-Rack.

Honestly, looking at the back of those 2, it looks like they just took the shroud off the RVZ01 to drop the size down, the actual steel enclosure looks nearly identical on those 2, and the FTZ01 is just a face lifted RVZ01.
I wouldn't say that they just shrink it by loosing the shroud. RVZ02's VGA support doesn't look detachable like the ones in the RVZ01 and FTZ01, so it's quite different approach to VGA mounting.

Also note that VGA is leveled with motherboard now looking by the VGA bracket and io shield on the back.

It could be a great case if not for those ugly plexi windows and if it supported SFX-L. Not perfect console volume, but still not far from ideal.

.Still that's why we should drop the optical drive in our designs and make them small as possible.

I agree. Now, I used to think that it was perfectly fine to have ODD bays because you can always leave them empty. However, I've come around in my thinking, and now think that ODDs are holding back SFF design.

Here's the controversial part:

I also think that end users wanting high end machines are also holding back SFF design.

Yup, there I said it. Hate all you want. Nyah nyah nyah! :p

I think there can be perfectly small and reasonably performing systems if we do several things.
1) Drop the requirement for optical drive.
2) Drop the requirement for a bunch of internal HDD/SSD.
3) Drop the requirement for even SFX PSUs and go TFX or Flex ATX.
4) Drop the requirement for full sized graphics cards longer than, say, 8".

First two are self explanatory.

For graphics card, this will limit the amount of power draw because of physical size. Best right now is GTX 970 "ITX" versions which is still awesome performance.

Then, for PSU you don't need a 450-600W SFX unit. There are already good quality TFX PSUs up to 350W (Seasonic makes one that is 80 Plus Gold) which should run a moderate Intel system with GTX 970. Good Flex ATX units are up to 300W (FSP makes one that is 80 Plus Gold). These might allow for a rethinking of the layout. I'm thinking it may be possible for a case with a quad core and GTX 970 with dimensions of around 300mm x 250 mm x 100mm or even smaller, and that's with an internal PSU.

Why can't they just make an aluminum ML07...the FTZ01 uses an aluminum unibody frame but it's still primarily steel. What is so difficult about making an all aluminum chassis that looks good sitting next to the rest of your home theater components?

I agree. Now, I used to think that it was perfectly fine to have ODD bays because you can always leave them empty. However, I've come around in my thinking, and now think that ODDs are holding back SFF design.

Here's the controversial part:

I also think that end users wanting high end machines are also holding back SFF design.

Yup, there I said it. Hate all you want. Nyah nyah nyah! :p

I think there can be perfectly small and reasonably performing systems if we do several things.
1) Drop the requirement for optical drive.
2) Drop the requirement for a bunch of internal HDD/SSD.
3) Drop the requirement for even SFX PSUs and go TFX or Flex ATX.
4) Drop the requirement for full sized graphics cards longer than, say, 8".

First two are self explanatory.

For graphics card, this will limit the amount of power draw because of physical size. Best right now is GTX 970 "ITX" versions which is still awesome performance.

Then, for PSU you don't need a 450-600W SFX unit. There are already good quality TFX PSUs up to 350W (Seasonic makes one that is 80 Plus Gold) which should run a moderate Intel system with GTX 970. Good Flex ATX units are up to 300W (FSP makes one that is 80 Plus Gold). These might allow for a rethinking of the layout. I'm thinking it may be possible for a case with a quad core and GTX 970 with dimensions of around 300mm x 250 mm x 100mm or even smaller, and that's with an internal PSU.

Well, you always get those people who think using anything under 650W is a travesty for your system. I've seen so many people doubt even the SFX 450...

And yeah, I agree with you.

Well, you always get those people who think using anything under 650W is a travesty for your system. I've seen so many people doubt even the SFX 450...

And yeah, I agree with you.
I agree too. There are many people set in their old ways, which seem to be convinced that an internal ODD and multiple 3,5" HDD's are still the only way to fly, even for sub-8L cases. It's like having four oversized cupholders in a two-seater sports car. It boggles my mind how the extremly efficient and ever-changing mindset needed for SFF world is still inhabited by people who can't let go of of old habits.

I like it. Not as beautiful as some nicer cases but it is a step in the right direction.

Hopefully by the time this reaches the shelves there will more options from other vendors. As soon as Valve finally finishes their controller all these sff cases should improve.

I don't know about the rest of you but I want my main rig to be itx with sfx psu, m.2 ssd and no HDD's, and a midrange GPU (200€ price range)

The SFX-T60 was the most interesting case I saw before the RVZ02

I like it. Not as beautiful as some nicer cases but it is a step in the right direction.

Hopefully by the time this reaches the shelves there will more options from other vendors. As soon as Valve finally finishes their controller all these sff cases should improve.

I don't know about the rest of you but I want my main rig to be itx with sfx psu, m.2 ssd and no HDD's, and a midrange GPU (200€ price range)

The SFX-T60 was the most interesting case I saw before the RVZ02

Yeah I like that larger manufacturers start to realise the potential of this form factor.

Will HalfLife 3 be released with the controller? It feels like it will.

I have to say, I want to have an HDD in my PC, a 1TB is just way to expensive as SSD storage. But yeah, that's the kind of stuff we want and need. But why SFX when you can go FlexATX? :D

HL3? Ha no. As far as I can tell, half their team is on steam machines/controller, half is on Dota, like three guys on CS and one guy occasionally doing TF2.

That was meant to be a joke because it takes them so long to finish that controller, they might aswell wait until HL3 is released :p

Yeah :p

Valve is a weird place though. I'm thinking more and more that they are just for the money instead of their fans. Everyone praises them for HL and steam, but the fact that they now focus almost exclusively on dota - their main money maker - gives me doubts. Hell, the recent CSGO update was mainly skins (which make Valve money). They hardly addressed any of the games many bugs and problems. And don't get me started on EOTL.

Anyway, back on topic :p

Is there a design advantage to the "console" ITX case over, say, a shoebox type ITX? E.g. moving the GPU away with a riser leads to better cooling or something? Or is it just more of a desire to compete in the console segment of the market, so the case is designed like that?

I like the variety and am not a fan of the shoebox but my ultimate fantasy ITX case is both thinner and shorter.

It's kinda weird. If you lie the case flat and use a standard non-ribbon riser, the GPU will intake air from the bottom of the case. In the environment of a TV setup, this may be bad, and you will have to lift the case with some feet. However if you have it positioned vertically, the CPU and GPU just intake from both sides of the case.

I think you are right, they are probably just designed to fit within a typical TV setup, where flat and long tend to be optimal.

Let's be honest. Your typical console footprint is due to cost. Less material = cheaper for mass production. There's no reason to imitate such inferiority on a PC. A SG05 is the smallest you'll want to go before it becomes loud, hot, and inefficient.

I personally just like the flat cases better aesthetically. I think they look really nice, no matter whether they are lying down or are standing up vertically. Most cubes that exist are nothing but ugly to me.

Back