*NEW* Street Fighter IV pic and info!

The memories of Street Fighter II.

I'm curious to see how this will turn out. *Sonic Boom*

they should just move to the 3d world and leave the 2d world behind.

I'm actually 100% in favor of keeping it 2D. 3D fighting games are a different animal stylistically and there have been enough variations on the concept for me to be tired of it.
Street Fighter has been a proven winner in 2D for 15+ years. I'd like to see that continue...even in spite of the weird hybrid EX games. 3D games are forced to focus too much on in-close combinations and that's not what SF is about. SF is about different ranges and strategies rather than beating out frame data and moves that look similar but block differently. Both have their place, but leave the 3rd dimension for games that have already been successful with it. There have been 3-4 good 3D fighting games about 100 bad ones.

can someone post the pics, damn work filters are blocking the site. I agreee with keeping it 2D, once Mortal Kombat went 3d I lost all interest.

An interesting look. Almost like a heavily textured cell-shading.
Certainly helps keep the toon-y look of games past.

can someone post the pics, damn work filters are blocking the site.

sf4_ryu_boner.jpg

I couldn't be more excited about this news. It brings back memories of SF2.

I was the master of Guile back in the original Street Fighter 2 days. That was the machine where you couldn't pick the bosses to play, only 8 characters. There were a couple glitches in the game for Guile and Dahlsim. Guile could get himself in a locked pose. There was also move called the "handcuff". If you "handcuff"ed your opponent, you would be locked in that position. None of you could inflict any damage from that position, but if you were ahead on health, you could keep yourself in that position and wait the time out.

There was another glitch where you could use to get OUT of that handcuff position by using what we used to call the "invisible throw". With this throw, you could both 1) get out of the locked position and 2) throw your enemy. The invisible throw was incredibly cheap. Even when you're not in the locked position, you could apply the invisible throw to your enemy when he/she was in the air above you. As soon as your opponent fell to the ground, you could apply the invisible throw again. If you timed it well enough, you could chain a series of throws that would eliminate your opponent's health completely before he/she had a chance to retaliate.

Does anyone else remember this? Or are my memories of my adolescence already completely spurious?

They tried that before with SF, it sucked. Street Fighter should remain 2D. I would not want to see Guilty Gear or Melty Blood in 3D (Guilty Gear 2 makes me :(), and I wouldn't want Soul Calibur in 2D.

I'd like to know at what point in the story this game takes place. Is this 10 years after SF3? Did Ryu complete his training? It has been 10+ years since the last true Street Fighter (damn), maybe Capcom really wanted a realistic wait. :rolleyes:

We'll have to wait and see how this 2D/3D hybrid works out. I'll refrain from passing judgment until someone plays it and gives their input. You never know, it could totally be a new killer style for SF.

That would totally change the game and would be a horrible decision.

They need to keep it 2.5d (2d characters, 3d backgrounds...what they do now), or go to 2.75d...which is what it looks like they're doing (3d charcters, 3d backgrounds, 2d movement).

I was the master of Guile back in the original Street Fighter 2 days. That was the machine where you couldn't pick the bosses to play, only 8 characters. There were a couple glitches in the game for Guile and Dahlsim. Guile could get himself in a locked pose. There was also move called the "handcuff". If you "handcuff"ed your opponent, you would be locked in that position. None of you could inflict any damage from that position, but if you were ahead on health, you could keep yourself in that position and wait the time out.

There was another glitch where you could use to get OUT of that handcuff position by using what we used to call the "invisible throw". With this throw, you could both 1) get out of the locked position and 2) throw your enemy. The invisible throw was incredibly cheap. Even when you're not in the locked position, you could apply the invisible throw to your enemy when he/she was in the air above you. As soon as your opponent fell to the ground, you could apply the invisible throw again. If you timed it well enough, you could chain a series of throws that would eliminate your opponent's health completely before he/she had a chance to retaliate.

Does anyone else remember this? Or are my memories of my adolescence already completely spurious?

No offense but you're the kind of person that made arcades no fun for anyone. Also, I spent countless hours play SF2 (all editions) and never saw any of those glitches, but admittedly I didn't play the arcade games as much as I played the SNES versions with friends.

As for the OP... cool I guess, I dunno... feels like fighting games are way past their prime to me, everything is about FPS, RTS, and RPG now.

Yeah, there's some videos of youtube on it. My buddy used to hate that shit haha. He still gets pissed off just thinking about it.

Yes, it was on champ ed only. On Hyper there was a glitch with Zangief U/F fierce punch (one hit dizzy). SF needs to stay 2D , Capcom already tried going 3D shortly after Virtua Fighter was released iirc.

As for the OP... cool I guess, I dunno... feels like fighting games are way past their prime to me, everything is about FPS, RTS, and RPG now.

I don't think fighting games are past their prime, they're just not as popular as once was. This could be said for adventures and sims too. FPS, RTS, and other genres will not be on top forever. Everything cycles through, and once popular genres will gain ground again, etc. As long as there is multiplayer support, they'll have a keeper for sure.

*On a side note: I was thinking about the mechanics of play. I'm starting to think that the look and feel will be very much Killer Instinct. KI has a very beautiful 2D/3D style of play. And who could argue with that?

I don't think fighting games are past their prime, they're just not as popular as once was.

I think this is more of a US thing. When I was in Japan I stepped foot into one or two arcades to see what they were like. It's a whole different ballgame there: floors and floors in one arcade dedicated to nothing but fighting games (especially 3rd Strike).

I think this is more of a US thing. When I was in Japan I stepped foot into one or two arcades to see what they were like. It's a whole different ballgame there: floors and floors in one arcade dedicated to nothing but fighting games (especially 3rd Strike).

Yeah, sadly, arcades in the US are going the way of dinosaurs. The arcades around me have changed to ticket games only, have old games, or have shut down completely. There used to be an arcade in Boston where some of the big games like SF3, Street Fighter Alpha 3 and such would be played on one of the huge main screens (60+ inches) so everyone could gather around to see your shame. :p

When I was in the East a couple years back, the arcade industry was much healthier. Huge arcades with a wide variety of games, and some of the larger ones even had every single fighting game dating back to SF2.

The arcades were also not dim caverns. They were brightly lit too, and the games did not cost $1.50 to play.

Not to get too far off topic :)
Arcades, at least in here in the US, were seen as middlemen in the consumer market - got to cut him out. As console systems became powerful and efficient enough for dev’s; their products went directly to the home consumer. The excitement of playing games in a busy arcade is hard to beat. I actually preferred waiting for new arcade releases and the awesome camaraderie at the arcade. Put a quarter on the glass and you’re ready to go!

You can't even mention Street Fighter or MK without everyone swooning for the arcades of times gone by. But yes I miss them too! ;)

Hahaha, I totally remember that. ahh. memories..

Yes, it was on champ ed only. On Hyper there was a glitch with Zangief U/F fierce punch (one hit dizzy). SF needs to stay 2D , Capcom already tried going 3D shortly after Virtua Fighter was released iirc.

Now we're talking about stuff I *know* about :)
The handcuff/invisible throw/endless hurricane/invisible Dhalsim were all in the original SF2. The trick to getting them to work is interrupting a move with a special move at the wrong time. The game didn't know how to react, so it glitched. The handcuff was a flash kick during a throw, the invisible throw was a sonic boom during a kick, etc.

Zangief's 1-hit dizzy is no glitch. It's a headbutt and it's in all of the versions. I think the insta-dizzy property was added in Champion Edition, though. It's not always a 1-hit dizzy, but it's pretty close. If it doesn't, one more hit will. I use that like crazy in the online SF2: Hyper game on the 360, but it's in the later versions, too.

The best glitch of all time is the "anywhere Siberian suplex" in Super SF2. Zangief can do the bearcrusher motion during any counter hit animation in the game and it'll grab anyone who isn't jumping. Nothing better than grabbing someone after a blocked fireball on the other side of the screen.

I could kick just about anyones ass with Chun Li or Cammy back in the day. :p

All of my friends, myself included, have been clamouring for this for years! None of us really got into SFIII.

I never really liked SF3 either. To me the Alpha games were always better. Too many SF3 characters felt like Darkstalkers rejects. There's just something odd about the move animations, too. Nobody moved normally, so it became a chore to recognize moves coming. SF's not supposed to be realistic, but the attack animations were so bizarre that they bordered on stupid. The 3rd strike game fixed some of the issues, but it came out so late, the arcade scene had already started to die. A lot of arcades never picked it up. Especially when Namco and Sega were putting out "real" sequels at the same time.
I'm not a fan of parries, either. To me it's so counter intuitive to press forward into an attack. There's also something that irks me about being able to theoretically prevent any non-throw attack and completely negate block damage, too. I hope they're long gone.

Anyway, I'm hoping to a return to the gameplay of SF2 or at least Alpha 2/3. If it disappoints us, at least the HD Remix is on the way. They've got high level SF tournament players working on the design process, so it should be better than ever before. Sirlin's already promised a "fixed" T-Hawk. The graphics look great and the gameplay really only had 1-2 flaws to begin with.

Anyone else miss the arcade scene, though? There's something odd about getting a new SF game, but playing in the semi-anonymous world of online gaming. I miss learning tricks, secrets, strategies, etc. from other players. Online gaming just doesn't offer that. Most online players are either ranting and raving or (like me) just turn off their mic.

I agree with what you said about the HD Remix. If SF4 bites, then a least we have a crutch.

As you stated about arcades, there was nothing like it. Just to think, arcades were even more popular in the 70's than we what we had in the early 90's. I also miss the people and the scene. Just as you have stated, learning tricks and moves was great fun. I remember one guy pulled off Shang Shun's Kintaro fatality in MKII - I almost shit myself. Remember, this was a time before magazines posted entire movements, so seeing it was insane. Things like that really spark something special only arcades could attain.

It is definitely weird having big games, specifically Street Fighter, going straight to the consoles without being in the arcade. I actually think many console games suffer this fate. I don't know if anyone feels the same, but it's like arcades where the big daddy of gaming. It was setting standards for consoles on the home front. Arcades felt bigger than you. And while playing the games, you know you could never have THESE graphics, THIS sound, and the entire buzz at home - and that made it wonderfully enchanting and extremely addictive all at the same time. It was cool having Tekken and millions of other games perfectly ported on PS1 and other systems, but it's grown tiring. I'm not saying having these IPs at home is bad, but I am saying the play at arcades will trump play at home most of the time.

What do you think?

I agree with what you said about the HD Remix. If SF4 bites, then a least we have a crutch.

As you stated about arcades, there was nothing like it. Just to think, arcades were even more popular in the 70's than we what we had in the early 90's. I also miss the people and the scene. Just as you have stated, learning tricks and moves was great fun. I remember one guy pulled off Shang Shun's Kintaro fatality in MKII - I almost shit myself. Remember, this was a time before magazines posted entire movements, so seeing it was insane. Things like that really spark something special only arcades could attain.

It is definitely weird having big games, specifically Street Fighter, going straight to the consoles without being in the arcade. I actually think many console games suffer this fate. I don't know if anyone feels the same, but it's like arcades where the big daddy of gaming. It was setting standards for consoles on the home front. Arcades felt bigger than you. And while playing the games, you know you could never have THESE graphics, THIS sound, and the entire buzz at home - and that made it wonderfully enchanting and extremely addictive all at the same time. It was cool having Tekken and millions of other games perfectly ported on PS1 and other systems, but it's grown tiring. I'm not saying having these IPs at home is bad, but I am saying the play at arcades will trump play at home most of the time.

What do you think?

Agreed. There was something really cool about playing a version of a game that's better than any other you will EVER have. These days the consoles are stronger than arcade machines...or the few coin-ops left actually have console hardware in them.

My fondest memories were seeing "that new guy from out of town" doing crazy combos, sequences, or techniques you've never seen before. I grew up in an Air Force town so it was cool having random people come in and show the regulars something new. The first time I saw someone do Zangief's standing short to SPD I nearly freaked out. I thought it was some kind of glitch until he did it again and again. People were flipping out because people thought that you just had to block to win...but blocking was the last thing you wanted to do against that. After that, there were people doing the handcuff, resetting the machine with Guile, and even spreading a bunch of rumors about Chun Li throwing bracelets and Blanka having an electric roll.
These days we know every secret and every facet to a game within 24 hours if it being released. In the case of Tekken - we know the whole movelist before it even comes out.
I miss the days of people playing "that lousy character" and annihilating people. These days, people have YouTube videos of everything you can imagine, so it's no shock when someone busts out T. Hawk and starts going crazy. He probably just learned what he's doing from a tournament video.

LOL oh man, yeah those rumors had me and my friends make frequent visits to the change machine for quarters. Hoping Sheng Long would appear with the perquisite being perfect rounds all the way up to Bison with Ryu. lol good times

Anyone else miss the arcade scene, though? There's something odd about getting a new SF game, but playing in the semi-anonymous world of online gaming. I miss learning tricks, secrets, strategies, etc. from other players. Online gaming just doesn't offer that. Most online players are either ranting and raving or (like me) just turn off their mic.

I miss it dearly :D there is nothing more satisfying then making your opponent change dollar bills into quarters so he can challenge you again. With online gaming , it's just humilation involved when you beat someone . With fighing games in arcades, it's humilation with the added bonus of draining your opponents quarters

Arcades: I just robbed you 2 dollars worth of quarters lol
Online gaming: whopee doo, 8 wins

I do, but I don't think I'll ever get back to it, even if it became big again. At almost 30 years old, gaming from my bedroom is a lot more comfortable than lining up with 10 other people to play one arcade machine. I have fond memories of 9th grade, waking up at 6:30and riding my bike to the local liquor store, just so I could queue up on one of the 2 SF2 machines. Remember lining up quarters on the little ledge of the machine?

ahh the found memories of Street Fighter 2, which i still play on my Sega, its a timeless classic. Lets hope this game is half-way decent

I do, but I don't think I'll ever get back to it, even if it became big again. At almost 30 years old, gaming from my bedroom is a lot more comfortable than lining up with 10 other people to play one arcade machine. I have fond memories of 9th grade, waking up at 6:30and riding my bike to the local liquor store, just so I could queue up on one of the 2 SF2 machines. Remember lining up quarters on the little ledge of the machine?

I'm in the same boat...I think I just miss it a little. I'm 30 myself and it's awkward. When Tekken 5 first came out, I went to the local arcade and I was probably the "odd old guy."
I absolutely remember lining up quarters, though. I think the spot to line them up varies from place to place. Where I lived, people put them on the lip of the screen, but I've seen some places where people put them on the lip of the top banner of the machine. In 1-2 places I've visited, they even installed a little "quarter rack" on the edge of the machine for them.

I'm not a fan of parries, either. To me it's so counter intuitive to press forward into an attack. There's also something that irks me about being able to theoretically prevent any non-throw attack and completely negate block damage, too. I hope they're long gone.
They're never getting rid of the parry feature...it's too huge in Japan. There's a whole other level of playing when you see people use it effectively.

The thing is you have to know what to expect, it's not like Tekken where you see a move they're doing and then you have time to react for a counter. In SF3 you have to tap forward in anticipation (I think the delay window is 1/8 of a second). Although you technically can block every move in the game with it, you're either extremely lucky or extremely skilled.

Check out this tournament video to see some crazy countering. I can't view YouTube at work, so I'm guessing with that link lol

I'm a SF3 fan, but I do think the parry needs to be nurfed somewhat. Maybe have the move drain a tick of meter rather than give a tick.

Back