New Streacom DB6: Fanless with 125 Watt CPU and 125 watt GPU cooling

Snowdog

[H]F Junkie
Found this early link.
http://www.fanlesstech.com/2017/05/exclusive-streacom-db6.html

This should be able to cool a very decent CPU, and pretty good GPU (125w each). It looks really cool to me, but knowing Streacom, this is probably $400+ just for the naked case. More details should be coming soon.

1.jpg

3.jpg

Reactions: Raiju
like this
Do I see a similarity with the Calyos blocks?

PC-Fanless-Calyos.jpg

Too bad they went for matx

Do I see a similarity with the Calyos blocks?

Too bad they went for matx

It looks like you are correct on Calyos (google Translate):
http://translate.google.com/transla...al.html&hl=en&langpair=auto|en&tbb=1&ie=UTF-8

" All of this is done by the Loy Heat Pipe (LHP) solution from Calyos, which is more efficient than traditional thermal conduits, so the company is able to cope with 125-125 watts on both the processor and the graphics side in continuous operation."

What not mATX? They already have DB4 for ITX. mATX also gives bigger side panels for cooling. It also opens up motherboard choices a lot.

Unless you want full ATX, which I really don't see the point these days.

You are right about having more area to dissipate heat, maybe I should reconsider never going bigger than itx. It looks like it is going to pack some serious cooling power.

0530_streacom_08.jpg

But I am afraid this thing is going to cost an arm and a leg.

Yeah. I was thinking $400 earlier, now I think $500+.

They have to pay extra to use those Calyos heat pipes, and look at that crazy snake bracket covering the heat pipe in your image, it's massive.

This is simply going to be priced out of the market for most of us. I like the idea of passive cooling a lot, but I am not going to blow half my budget on the case.

I question the point when at the 250W CPU+GPU consumption level, either (1) a very large air cooler with good flow plus a good open air card or (2) dual 240mm AIO's will allow you to run fans at essentially silent levels. For $500 you can probably build a custom loop inside a cheap case and still come out for the better.

That said, those solutions aren't totally silent - but why would you need your PC to be totally silent?

I question the point when at the 250W CPU+GPU consumption level, either (1) a very large air cooler with good flow plus a good open air card or (2) dual 240mm AIO's will allow you to run fans at essentially silent levels. For $500 you can probably build a custom loop inside a cheap case and still come out for the better.

That said, those solutions aren't totally silent - but why would you need your PC to be totally silent?

Water cooling is no quieter, than proper air cooling. Often is just more noise as you have added pump noise on top of fan noise.

So you do get the point of totally silent? I can't fix that.

Many of us do get the point.

Water cooling is no quieter, than proper air cooling. Often is just more noise as you have added pump noise on top of fan noise.

So you do get the point of totally silent? I can't fix that.

Many of us do get the point.

It's cool and all that, but unless you live out I. The country with no AC or other appliances, a well built air cooling rig won't be the limiting factor of noise at this power consumption level.

But yes, I do get the point of it being really cool.

I'd love to be able to afford a Calyos Phase Change Cooler :)

Considering the prototype on Kickstarter, the Heat Exchangers / Radiators on this thing look Tiny... If each side needs to give off 125W, they're going to get quite toasty.

I'd love to be able to afford a Calyos Phase Change Cooler :)

Considering the prototype on Kickstarter, the Heat Exchangers / Radiators on this thing look Tiny... If each side needs to give off 125W, they're going to get quite toasty.

Tiny? Those are massive heatsinks. It's probably >20lbs of heatsink.

Another Video: The case weighs 18KG empty. Most of that will be in the massive heatsinks. It will only ship with a CPU block. The GPU block will be extra.

Unless you want full ATX, which I really don't see the point these days.

I do. For my desktop, I couldn't picture myself going anything below eATX.

I want as many PCIe slots as possible. I also want the lanes to support them all.

My current system has the following slots populated:

Slot 1: GPU (16x)
Slot 2: Empty (or slot 1 would drop to 8x)
Slot 3: Discrete Sound Card
Slot 4: 10gig Ethernet Card
Slot 5: Samsung M.2 SSD in PCIe adapter.
Slot 6: Intel 750 PCIe SSD

Now, one could argue if I had a newer board, I wouldn't need the last two slots, as I could stick it in an m.2 slot, but still, I want as much flexibility as I can possibly get.

I was a semi-early adopter of SFF cases back in 2009, and I hated it. I constantly had ideas of what I could do to expand, but was foiled based on my lack of expansion.

My philosophy these days is the bigger the better.

I don't even understand the motivation of a small case. Sure, it looks cute I guess, but its all drawbacks, IMHO. Especially since you now have to stand it on your desk, rather than on the floor underneath it like you would with a mid or full size tower, so now you are taking up desk space too.

Back