New storage drive. Should I stress test?

Edgar

2[H]4U
Hello,

I just got a WD Red 3TB drive. Just formatted it and was wondering if I should "stress/burn in test" it. Is it recommended? And what software is recommended?

I have another one of the same drive coming this week. They will be purely for storage of movies/music on my second computer for things like plex or xbmc.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

I always do a 4 pass badblocks read/write test (available on most linux livecd/usb) looking at the SMART with smartctl before during and after the 4 pass test:

Code:
badblocks -wsv /dev/mydevice

where mydevice is the device you want to test (most likely sda sdb ...)

With that said for windows users not comfortable with linux I recommend using a combination of a full format looking at the SMART data with CrystalDiskInfo before during and after the format.

Hard Disk Sentinel can burn disks in. This will also let you know if you have a lot of bad sectors and can decide if you need to replace the drive. I think it's a good idea if you are not using some sort of error correcting file system or RAID such as ZFS.

Yeah no RAID. Even thought the drives are meant for RAID. I got them because it was such a good deal.

Hard Disk Sentinel can burn disks in. This will also let you know if you have a lot of bad sectors and can decide if you need to replace the drive. I think it's a good idea if you are not using some sort of error correcting file system or RAID such as ZFS.

I stayed away from this due to the $35 cost however its on sale for $15.75 today so I purchased that..

I stayed away from this due to the $35 cost however its on sale for $15.75 today so I purchased that..

thanks for the info about the sale today. I just snagged the "family pack" version for less than the cost of 1 regular license. :D :D

Back