New 'Stone-Like' Optical Disc That Lasts Forever?

nope, you're very dense, it's TOTALLY different....
LOL, I definately understand that much, sheesh... :)
I really meant the drives themselves won't appear to be much different, ya know, from a user side of things... Some of us might not even know the new technology is in there for burning those type of discs. That's the impression I got from the article when they said future drives will support it.

This is what I was thinking. Though if the material between the plastic was gold they would probably last until someone destroyed it. I haven't seen a gold CD in a long time.

Aren't gold CDs just archival grade CDs? I thought this was the point of these STDs anyways, archival. Don't our governments have huge archives filled with tapes and discs? This is simply the next step in archival.

If you're having to retrieve data from 150-200 year old archives then you have ALOT of other problems to deal with besides whether you can read the discs or not.

One of the greatest historical discoveries of the last melinium was the Rosetta Stone, carved just short of 200BC, and was the key to unlocking Egyptian Hieroglyphs, Just short of 2000 years old.

Yes, most of us have no use for a disc like this, but as a means of archiving, this is (supposedly) a HUGE advancement. . . The key though is wheather it lives up to the hype, as someone said the "100-year CD-ROMs" degrade in less than a decade...

Back