New Steam Play...anyone tried it?

Out of the 4 Proton choices available in steam settings, only 3.16-6 beta gets me to the launch screen. I have Proton enabled for all games. Not sure what to check in wine. Which settings should I check?

what drivers are you using? you need like really new drivers to make use of the improvements present in the 3.16-* line.

3.16-6 is the one that fixed all my issues with lego games and they are running great. I am however on the latest nvidia beta drivers as well

Here's what I've found:

$ lshw -c video
WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
version: c7
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=radeon latency=0
resources: irq:124 memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:efe00000-efe3ffff ioport:e000(size=256) memory:c0000-dffff
WARNING: output may be incomplete or inaccurate, you should run this program as super-user.

$ modinfo radeon
filename: /lib/modules/4.15.0-43-generic/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon.ko
license: GPL and additional rights
description: ATI Radeon

-snip-

depends: drm,drm_kms_helper,ttm,i2c-algo-bit
retpoline: Y
intree: Y
name: radeon
vermagic: 4.15.0-43-generic SMP mod_unload
parm: no_wb:Disable AGP writeback for scratch registers (int)
parm: modeset:Disable/Enable modesetting (int)
parm: dynclks:Disable/Enable dynamic clocks (int)
parm: r4xx_atom:Enable ATOMBIOS modesetting for R4xx (int)
parm: vramlimit:Restrict VRAM for testing, in megabytes (int)
parm: agpmode:AGP Mode (-1 == PCI) (int)
parm: gartsize:Size of PCIE/IGP gart to setup in megabytes (32, 64, etc., -1 = auto) (int)
parm: benchmark:Run benchmark (int)
parm: test:Run tests (int)
parm: connector_table:Force connector table (int)
parm: tv:TV enable (0 = disable) (int)
parm: audio:Audio enable (-1 = auto, 0 = disable, 1 = enable) (int)
parm: disp_priority:Display Priority (0 = auto, 1 = normal, 2 = high) (int)
parm: hw_i2c:hw i2c engine enable (0 = disable) (int)
parm: pcie_gen2:pCIE Gen2 mode (-1 = auto, 0 = disable, 1 = enable) (int)
parm: msi:MSI support (1 = enable, 0 = disable, -1 = auto) (int)
parm: lockup_timeout:GPU lockup timeout in ms (default 10000 = 10 seconds, 0 = disable) (int)
parm: fastfb:Direct FB access for IGP chips (0 = disable, 1 = enable) (int)
parm: dpm:DPM support (1 = enable, 0 = disable, -1 = auto) (int)
parm: aspm:ASPM support (1 = enable, 0 = disable, -1 = auto) (int)
parm: runpm:pX runtime pm (1 = force enable, 0 = disable, -1 = PX only default) (int)
parm: hard_reset:pCI config reset (1 = force enable, 0 = disable (default)) (int)
parm: vm_size:VM address space size in gigabytes (default 4GB) (int)
parm: vm_block_size:VM page table size in bits (default depending on vm_size) (int)
parm: deep_color:Deep Color support (1 = enable, 0 = disable (default)) (int)
parm: use_pflipirq:pflip irqs for pageflip completion (0 = disable, 1 = as fallback, 2 = exclusive (default)) (int)
parm: bapm:BAPM support (1 = enable, 0 = disable, -1 = auto) (int)
parm: backlight:backlight support (1 = enable, 0 = disable, -1 = auto) (int)
parm: auxch:Use native auxch experimental support (1 = enable, 0 = disable, -1 = auto) (int)
parm: mst:DisplayPort MST experimental support (1 = enable, 0 = disable) (int)
parm: uvd:uvd enable/disable uvd support (1 = enable, 0 = disable) (int)
parm: vce:vce enable/disable vce support (1 = enable, 0 = disable) (int)
parm: si_support:SI support (1 = enabled (default), 0 = disabled) (int)
parm: cik_support:CIK support (1 = enabled (default), 0 = disabled) (int)

How were you able to get STO running? I'm running Linux Mint and Steam can get me to the launcher, but once I click "Engage", the game hangs.

Didn't do anything special on Manjaro. Although I know from running STO in wine the first launch you have to be extremely patient. I have no idea why but for some reason the first launch will sit on the title screen for 5-10 min regardless of your hardware. Everytime I have tried to get it working over the years with different versions of wine its done this. But after the first launch it works fine. So I would say if it seems hung give it 5-10 min... go have lunch or something and come back in 30 min and see it its sitting on the brightness adjustment screen. :)

Thank you, Chad. I do remember this happening before when using wine, but I believe that was during the "Cryptic" loading screen. In this case, when I click Engage, the launcher remains, and the mouse cursor is still in the finger pointing shape it is when you hover over the Engage button. I'll give it 1 more try though.

Nope: Definitely hanging at the launcher. Not making it to the Cryptic loading screen.

Last edited:
The machine I was using for STO has a Nvidia card... not sure if that makes things better for that game. My daughters computer is a 2200g so perhaps when she goes to bed tonight I'll try and get STO booted on her machine with AMD drivers.

I know in general AMD is a little more touchy about drivers in that they have come a long way very recently. I mention it cause I see your on kernel 4.15... I'm not a mint user but I believe running Ubuntu/Mint there are a few tools to easily change kernels. 4.19 LTS is likely worth bumping up to. Also if your using AMDs open MESA drivers you may want to check what version your running. The more recent the better most proton stuff works in general. (I know for that ryzen machine I just built her the latest kernel and MESA make a world of difference performance wise)

Close Steam and start it in terminal. Once Steam has started in terminal, keep the window open and try to start a game.

If there's a problem terminal should show where it is.

Unfortunately, this is all the terminal window displays:

~ $ steam
Running Steam on linuxmint 18.3 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Pins up-to-date!
~ $

Running steam from the terminal won't tell you much as all Steam does in the case of STO is boot the launcher. Instead try firing up the STO launcher itself from the command line without steam running.

EDIT:
https://www.protondb.com/app/9900
Check out the protondb page as well. Its a game that seems to work for some and not others without a common thread. Some people get it working on NV and AMD and some don't. Doesn't seem to be much of a pattern but perhaps try a few of the tweaks people say they used. Perhaps something will work for you.

I know for me the only issue is the first launch which takes forever. I notice someone on PDB said they selected safe boot from the STO launcher after a long hang fail boot and away it went. It seems like there is some sort of .ini file that STO writes on first boot that needs to get created or something. So perhaps launching with safe boot the first time is the key.

Last edited:
Perhaps post the outputs of
glxinfo | grep OpenGL
and
uname -a
for us, I know you posted your on AMD on kernel 4.15 but if we know which distro and which specific version of MESA we can probably tell you how to bump both to current versions. It would likely be good to jump to the latest LTS kernel 4.19 regardless.

I'm not sure if that will solve your STO issue... but just like windows sometimes making sure you have the latest drivers makes all the difference. I think some of the most recent proton fixes rely on some stuff that was added to MESA pretty recently... I know a few months back one of the proton patches greatly improved my mouse lag issues with STO. The Proton guys are paid by Valve who also support MESA some of the fixes and tweaks go hand in hand.

Unfortunately, this is all the terminal window displays:

~ $ steam
Pins up-to-date!
~ $

You've got to actually start the game while leaving terminal open. By the looks of things there, you've just started Steam.

Running steam from the terminal won't tell you much as all Steam does in the case of STO is boot the launcher. Instead try firing up the STO launcher itself from the command line without steam running.

It actually does. I've performed diagnosis with one of the Codeweavers devs in the case of titles not starting and this is the first point of diagnosis. There is also a method whereby you can log Proton itself, but logic dictates this is the first step of diagnosis.

I've got detailed log files here from terminal that show every single step in the game launching process under Proton.

Last edited:
OK, here's what I get trying to run STO from the command line:

steam steam://rungameid/9900
Pins up-to-date!
[2018-12-31 18:47:52] Startup - updater built Nov 26 2018 20:15:21
Looks like steam didn't shutdown cleanly, scheduling immediate update check
[2018-12-31 18:47:52] Checking for update on startup
[2018-12-31 18:47:52] Checking for available updates...
[2018-12-31 18:47:52] Downloading manifest: client-download.steampowered.com/client/steam_client_ubuntu12
[2018-12-31 18:47:52] Download failed: http error 403 (client-download.steampowered.com/client/steam_client_ubuntu12)
[2018-12-31 18:47:52] Downloading manifest: media.steampowered.com/client/steam_client_ubuntu12
[2018-12-31 18:47:53] Download failed: http error 403 (media.steampowered.com/client/steam_client_ubuntu12)
[2018-12-31 18:47:53] Failing manifest download with http error 403 (media.steampowered.com/client/steam_client_ubuntu12)
[2018-12-31 18:47:53] Error: Download failed: http error 403
[2018-12-31 18:47:53] Verifying installation...
[2018-12-31 18:47:53] Performing checksum verification of executable files
[2018-12-31 18:47:53] Verification complete
Setting default pigset mode...done (0x00000000) (0.00)
-affiliate appid=9900
-launchedfrom steam
Connecting to patchserver.crypticstudios.com:7255
PatchClientLib: connecting to patchserver.crypticstudios.com:7255
PatchClientLib: redirecting to 208.95.184.4:7255
PatchClientLib: skipping unneeded autoupdate CrypticLauncher3ST
PatchClientLib: successfully connected
AutopatchDialog thread shutting down
GamePrefsInit: giGamePrefSet now 0
Displaying status message: Connecting to Account Server
While finding unique IPs, converted controllertracker.crypticstudios.com to 208.95.186.113
While finding unique IPs, converted controllertracker0.crypticstudios.com to 208.95.186.141
While finding unique IPs, converted controllertracker1.crypticstudios.com to 208.95.186.113
While finding unique IPs, converted controllertracker2.crypticstudios.com to 208.95.186.141
While finding unique IPs, converted controllertracker3.crypticstudios.com to 208.95.186.113
While finding unique IPs, converted controllertracker4.crypticstudios.com to 208.95.186.141
While finding unique IPs, converted controllertracker5.crypticstudios.com to 208.95.186.113
While finding unique IPs, converted controllertracker6.crypticstudios.com to 208.95.186.141
While finding unique IPs, converted controllertracker7.crypticstudios.com to 208.95.186.113
While finding unique IPs, converted controllertracker8.crypticstudios.com to 208.95.186.141
While finding unique IPs, converted controllertracker9.crypticstudios.com to 208.95.186.113
Displaying status message: Attempting to connect to controller tracker.
Displaying status message: Loading launcher
startPatch, new Startrek:Holodeck
Checking patch status for ST.90.20181029a.29
Skipping unnecessary patch for Z:/home/chris/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live
ERROR: Failed to detect DirectX Feature Level
Line: c:\src\core\crypticlauncher\ui.c(670)
Details: HResult (error): 4294967292 FeatureLevel: 0.000000
[2018-12-31 18:52:55] Background update loop checking for update. . .
[2018-12-31 18:52:55] Checking for available updates...
[2018-12-31 18:52:55] Downloading manifest: client-download.steampowered.com/client/steam_client_ubuntu12
[2018-12-31 18:52:56] Download failed: http error 403 (client-download.steampowered.com/client/steam_client_ubuntu12)
[2018-12-31 18:52:56] Downloading manifest: media.steampowered.com/client/steam_client_ubuntu12
[2018-12-31 18:52:56] Download failed: http error 403 (media.steampowered.com/client/steam_client_ubuntu12)
[2018-12-31 18:52:56] Failing manifest download with http error 403 (media.steampowered.com/client/steam_client_ubuntu12)
[2018-12-31 18:52:56] Error: Download failed: http error 403

Last edited:
glxinfo | grep OpenGL
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
OpenGL renderer string: AMD OLAND (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.15.0-43-generic, LLVM 6.0.0)
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 18.0.5
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 18.0.5
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.1 Mesa 18.0.5
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.10
OpenGL ES profile extensions:

$ uname -a
Linux MyPC 4.15.0-43-generic #46~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Dec 7 13:31:08 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Using Linux Mint 18.3 KDE

Ok well a few options.

You can try upgrading to Linux Mint 19. 4.15 is a not the 18.3 shipping kernel and KDE isn't a default ISO option so I assume you upgraded / added both. I think to use their upgrade tool you have to be using a MINT iso DE so CIN / XFCE or Mate

If your fine with the rest of your distro and just want to bump your free amd drivers bump p to kernel to 4.19 LTS or 4.20 which was released on the 24th.

https://itsfoss.com/upgrade-linux-kernel-ubuntu/
I'm not an ubuntu / mint user but I have heard good things about the ukuu utility for swapping kernels under ubuntu/mint. Its also easy to find instructions for adding kernel ppas and downloading the proper kernel .deb files.

As for MESA you have a couple options;
one you can use the official ubuntu mesa ppa
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/ubuntu/updates
This would add fairly recent version of mesa. Newer then the LTS distro updates you get from mint. Think their latest is from October. So not bleeding edge but should be stable... and could help you launch sto and other games.
The other way to go is to use the edger ppa for the very latest and least stable MESA.
https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
I think I would try the more stable update option first before going full direct from GIT with the edger ppa.

18.0.5 of mesa your running is from back in June. Bumping to a 4 or 5 month newer version might make a big difference. I know you wouldn't think so but AMDs free drivers made a lot of progress this year.

The launcher can't detect your DirectX level:

fmHmULM.png

You need to install Wine D3D11 as reported on ProtonDB:

The launcher can't detect your DirectX level:

View attachment 131977

You need to install Wine D3D11 as reported on ProtonDB:

Interesting that people are forcing OpenGL. I have been running STO under DXVK and Vulcan with no issues. I really wouldn't suggest forcing DXVK off as a usable option... IME STO is completely unplayable under wine OpenGL STO only supports DX11 there is no DX9 fall back and Wine DX11->Ogl sucks hard.

I would say its still likely something with the older version of MESA... a bug or is missing a feature STO is looking for. MESA has had a lot of proton bug fixes since his version of mesa shipped. I have had STO running with DXVK since early 2018 but that is on Nvidia. Its possible a recent MESA has made the game more playable on AMD hardware. According to ProtonDB people are getting it to run ok on AMD with Mesa 18.2.4 and newer it seems, a couple AMD MESA platinum reports, but they are on much newer kernels and MESA.

Also a couple other things to try... as looking around I have noticed windows users the last few months have been getting the exact same error. In those cases something gets messed up with their STO install ... and doing a force verify seems to fix the issue. Cryptic being the typical terrible dev they are haven't really tracked it down either as it seems the last 3 or 4 months Windows users have been having it happen.
Also just FYI I always turn on demand patching off... not sure why that would effect a DX 11 feature check on launch but knowing Cryptic who knows. Also make sure you go into your launcher options and try firing STO up in safe mode. Granted the safe mode boot is to combat the laggy inital server connection. So likely isn't related to your non boot but again Cryptic.

EDIT:
Another thought. Copy your STO game files to a backup location (so you don't have to redownload them). Make sure your steam is using the latest Proton beta and remove STO. Re-add it then copy your back up files back. I mention it because apparently Codeweavers cross over had STO running and then it stopped working. They got it running again recently by recreating the wine bottle. Which makes sense when you consider that STO recently (early 2018) switched to 64bit... however I am pretty sure steam was crating a 32 bit bottle for it initially and the launcher still runs 32 bit. I wonder if that is the source of all the odd reports for STO of either borked or platinum status. lol Anyway if you have had your STO installed for awhile or you copied data over from another drive or something it might be worth letting steam re crate the bottle with the latest Proton version for sure running, I sort of have a felling one of the newer Proton betas knows to create a proper 64bit bottle. (seeing as Cross over and Valve are working together and that is the fix the cross over guys employed)

Last edited:
SweetJimmy,

When you say you can start the launcher, what do you mean by that? I get as far as updating the launcher at which point the game crashes as evidenced by terminal and Steam simply quits the game. Any attempt to start the game from that point on simply results in the game silently crashing, I only know it crashes by looking at terminal when I run it.

It's like it's not even trying the start the launcher under Proton, it seems like it's trying to start the game as native Windows.

8DQIkGM.png

That's all I get.

Running Nvidia GTX 980Ti, 415.25 drivers, Ubuntu Mate 16.04.

SweetJimmy,

When you say you can start the launcher, what do you mean by that?

I'm able to bring up the initial screen. The game checks for any patches, and finding none the CANCEL button changes to the ENGAGE button. Hovering the mouse over the engage button changes the mouse cursor from an arrow to a pointing finger (as expected). Once I click on the ENGAGE button, no messages appear in the window indicating a connection to the server, and the mouse cursor is stuck as the pointing finger.

Also, this is a brand new install of the game as of yesterday. Actually, it's a fresh install of Linux Mint (still 18.3 KDE though).

Thanks for the feedback, all. I will work on these and report back.

Last edited:
I installed Warframe, runs fine with the exception that there's no audio in cut scene sequences. You can tell it's a console port as a controller has to be present or you get random crashes. Having said that, controller support is perfect, even has vibration feedback.

Performance was spot on, runs like native Windows as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
After some googling, it may be that I'm using Linux Mint instead of Ubuntu 18. That said, I've got STO working reasonably well, and if there's one thing I've learned about Linux: when it's good enough, don't futz with it.

Well, the masochist in me just couldn't leave it alone. Typing sudo add-apt-repository ppa:eek:ibaf/graphics-drivers seemed to have worked. Now I'm on LLVM 7 and Mesa 19. Can't really tell a difference in STO though.

Well, the masochist in me just couldn't leave it alone. Typing sudo add-apt-repository ppa:eek:ibaf/graphics-drivers seemed to have worked. Now I'm on LLVM 7 and Mesa 19. Can't really tell a difference in STO though.

Are you running via DXVK or are you forcing wine opengl ?

I'm running STO through Steam. Not sure if that answers the question or not.

Sort of. It was suggested earlier to use the launch command.
PROTON_USE_WINED3D
Which would force the game to run wines dX11->opengl path instead of protons default DX11->Vulkan
Was just wondering if you got it running with the vulkan path or not.
DXVK is a lot faster... and more accurate.

First, I want to thank every one for their help a few months back. This was the first time I was able to get STO up and running at a playable speed on Linux. I've been enjoying it for months. This is an all time high for me! Unfortunately, it couldn't last. A day or 2 ago, it stopped working. The only thing I changed between the last time it worked and now was installing Virtualbox, which shouldn't matter. But I uninstalled it anyway. Now when I try to start STO, I get a Steam dialog box saying "An error occurred while updating Star Trek Online (invalid platform) See the Steam support site for more information.

Below is the same information that was asked for last time. I couldn't find much that had changed, but I'm providing it just in case. I'd appreciate any insight or recommendation anyone has:

lshw -c video
WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
version: c7
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=radeon latency=0
resources: irq:124 memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:efe00000-efe3ffff ioport:e000(size=256) memory:c0000-dffff
WARNING: output may be incomplete or inaccurate, you should run this program as super-user.

modinfo radeon
filename: /lib/modules/4.15.0-46-generic/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon.ko
author: Gareth Hughes, Keith Whitwell, others.
firmware: radeon/R520_cp.bin
firmware: radeon/RS600_cp.bin

-snip-
modinfo radeon
filename: /lib/modules/4.15.0-46-generic/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon.ko
author: Gareth Hughes, Keith Whitwell, others.
firmware: radeon/R520_cp.bin
firmware: radeon/RS600_cp.bin

glxinfo | grep OpenGL
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
OpenGL renderer string: AMD OLAND (DRM 2.50.0, 4.15.0-46-generic, LLVM 7.0.1)
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 19.0.0-devel (git-fc0139d 2018-12-02 xenial-oibaf-ppa)
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 4.5 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 19.0.0-devel (git-fc0139d 2018-12-02 xenial-oibaf-ppa)
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.50
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: compatibility profile
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.2 Mesa 19.0.0-devel (git-fc0139d 2018-12-02 xenial-oibaf-ppa)
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20
OpenGL ES profile extensions:

uname -a
Linux mypc 4.15.0-46-generic #49~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Tue Feb 12 17:45:24 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Glad to hear things have been working.... and this one is an easy fix. :)

Sounds like you accidentally unchecked the "enable steam play for all other titles". Go and flip that back on and make sure you have the latest proton beta selected.

Of note as well, as I also play STO. Its running very nicely the last few months or so. I been running it basically maxed everything and its nice and smooth. Only issue I have had with it... mice with 1ms poll rates for some reason cause the free camera to freak out a bit. Which is strange turn the polling rate down and its smooth. Hopefully they solve that one soon.

Back