New Steam Play...anyone tried it?

IIRC Arch has two Steam runtimes available, Runtime and Native. I can't remember which, but one of them forces Arch to use libraries provided by Arch, whereas the other allows Steam to use the runtime libraries provided by Valve. This could be the root of the problem on Arch if you are defaulting to the one that doesn't use the Valve provided libraries. Because in that instance, it would be safe to assume that the Proton libraries aren't getting used.

IIRC Arch has two Steam runtimes available, Runtime and Native. I can't remember which, but one of them forces Arch to use libraries provided by Arch, whereas the other allows Steam to use the runtime libraries provided by Valve. This could be the root of the problem on Arch if you are defaulting to the one that doesn't use the Valve provided libraries. Because in that instance, it would be safe to assume that the Proton libraries aren't getting used.

I usually use native, but I'll try the runtime next.

The Forest and Zombie Driver HD work great. Is there some trick to get GTA V working because I get to the Social Club login screen but there are no buttons?

I have tried a bunch of Windows games I had owned previously.

Games that didn't work for me:

Blackwood Crossing
Master Reboot
Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice
Marie’s Room
Killer is Dead: Nightmare Edition
Batman: Arkham Origins
Dark
Thief
The Bunker
Home Sweet Home Demo
Incredible Mandy Demo
NaissanceE
Mafia III Demo
Prototype 2
The Painscreek Killings Demo
Phantaruk

Games that Worked:

EHM
Turing Test
The Apartment Demo
The Mansion Demo
God’s Basement Demo
Drizzlepath
Husk
Dear Esther: Landmark Edition
Gas Guzzlers Extreme
The Town of Light

So overall 38% of games I tried worked. About the same as PlayOnLinux, Lutris or Crossover gave me but Proton/Steam Play is a lot easier to setup and use in my opinion.

For those of you that want to report issues the Guthub page is here:

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues

You can also give a quicker report here with good or bad news:

https://spcr.netlify.com/

Under Arch I read something about the need to run Steam Runtime as opposed to Steam Native?

Under Arch I read something about the need to run Steam Runtime as opposed to Steam Native?

This is correct. Archs steam package includes two .desktop launch files. One launches steam with archs up the min updated depends (native version). One launches with the versions Steam is aiming at (Ubuntu LTS versions).

So yes with the nature of proton being beta... for best compatability run the Runtime verison.

Having said that... some games that have issues may run under the Native version, but its going to be trial and error. Its also possible that games running well under the runtime may run faster with the newer depends.

Its a case by case I'm sure. My suggestion would be try runtime first... and if it runs try the native and see if it runs faster, understanding that its possible it won't run at all. :) lol

Lots of issues to sort in general with steam play... I have noticed from other sites lists, lots of games that don't run sometimes do if you copy the correct .dll to the game dir, or if you rename .exe ect. Hopefully over the next few months a lot of developers will take Valve up on the offer to create config files for their games that sort a lot of that stuff out.

Lots of issues to sort in general with steam play... I have noticed from other sites lists, lots of games that don't run sometimes do if you copy the correct .dll to the game dir, or if you rename .exe ect. Hopefully over the next few months a lot of developers will take Valve up on the offer to create config files for their games that sort a lot of that stuff out.

Under Ubuntu I haven't had to do any of that. Just download and play, games run like native.

Under Ubuntu I haven't had to do any of that. Just download and play, games run like native.

And some run slower. :)

If you want the Ubuntu experience in Arch you just run Steam Native. You simply also have the option to run newer libraries. In some cases it means faster games... with proton being extreme beta at the moment I guess its causing some launch issues.

Other projects like Solus are doing the same type of thing. It seems to be the standard non-ubuntu fix... include a second launch with all the old ass libraries Ubuntu uses. ;) lol

In fairness... Ubutnu just had a LTS release. So its not that bad right now... but in a year when the Ubuntu LTS libraries are all a year old, having an option to run the newer libraries if everything is working might be nice. A while back before the latest Ubuntu LTS update I think the difference was more pronounced.

I am really hoping that more AAA game developers buy into the steam play config file idea... as even under Ubuntu they should be able to specify specific libraries, hopefully between Valve testing and developer input they can come up with some solid scripts that use the fastest libraries possible no matter the distro.

EDIT... now that I think about it a bit too. I wonder if Proton means Valve is going to have to keep their target dependencies more up to date to support their version of wine. Makes me wonder if they will end up forking some of the dependencies wine requires if Ubuntu isn't updating them fast enough. Not sure if they have enough pull with the Ubuntu folks to get them to speed some libraries roll outs or not.

Last edited:
And some run slower. :)

The problem is that when you take this into consideration:

with proton being extreme beta at the moment I guess its causing some launch issues.

I'd prefer the loss of a few FPS than no game at all. ;)

I'm getting ~150 - 200 fps under Quake with the latest Nvidia betas and ~70 - 100 fps playing MW2 MP and everything else runs fine, no issues with performance here.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
The problem is that when you take this into consideration:

I'd prefer the loss of a few FPS than no game at all. ;)

I'm getting ~150 - 200 fps under Quake with the latest Nvidia betas and ~70 - 100 fps playing MW2 MP and everything else runs fine, no issues with performance here.

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking Ubuntu. lol Just pointing out Valve has been targeting Ubuntu LTS... which for getting Developers to target Linux (not talking about proton) its a good idea and required. And again arch runs those exact libraries. Arch runtime... vs Ubuntu no difference. Arch simply gives you the option to launch with whatever the newest version is of potentially called system libraries. Not sure why that is causing people launch issues with some titles... but that is why they include the runtime verison. :) I would expect soonish the Arch package maintainers will figure out what bit is at fault and correct it.

Couldn't Steam just run their own local libraries w/o requiring any linking from the host?

They could and I think potentially they might have to start doing that as the Ubuntu LTS starts lagging behind the work being done on Proton and DXVK.

We'll see... for the most part things work pretty smoothly. Steam was is and has been working very well on most distros... arch steam works perfectly fine with any Linux native stuff I have installed. As I understand it solus is also flawless with Linux native software, as is Fedora and Suse. That wasn't the case when Steam first launched. All those projects took a few weeks to months to have the steam package maintainers figure out which libraries they would have to override. Arch took the easy road and just (optionally) recreated the Ubuntu library setup. Solus as I understand it has done a lot of work to integrate steam in a way that they could use all their new libraries with no issues. (haven't tested but I have heard solus is rock solid and fast with Linux native steam games)

I guess my point is in a few months or less, I would expect all these little bumps with non-ubuntu distros will be easily resolved. I know in the case of arch its clearly a small thing somewhere. I have noticed the steam native does have issues with launching. For instanace Star Trek online... I can launch it from Steam runtime no issues, but ya it doesn't start for some reason with native. To be honest though right now I just launch it via wine+DXVK as I was before steam play.

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking Ubuntu. lol Just pointing out Valve has been targeting Ubuntu LTS... which for getting Developers to target Linux (not talking about proton) its a good idea and required. And again arch runs those exact libraries. Arch runtime... vs Ubuntu no difference. Arch simply gives you the option to launch with whatever the newest version is of potentially called system libraries. Not sure why that is causing people launch issues with some titles... but that is why they include the runtime verison. :) I would expect soonish the Arch package maintainers will figure out what bit is at fault and correct it.
So, this is both true and untrue. Yes Valve targets LTS, but not the one you think they target. The runtimes Steam targets are actually from Ubuntu 12.04 LTS NOT Ubuntu 18.04/16.04. The current Ubuntu LTS is actually irrelevant here. If anything, the newer Ubuntu LTS could present problems. This also creates a problem for game developers. If developers choose to target a newer LTS release, then they end up packaging their own libraries. This is the case with Feral Interactive games in particular, which also happen to be the only games I had issues with running when I was on Arch. Something about how the Arch runtimes are handled conflicted with the packaged libraries in Feral games.

So, this is both true and untrue. Yes Valve targets LTS, but not the one you think they target. The runtimes Steam targets are actually from Ubuntu 12.04 LTS NOT Ubuntu 18.04/16.04. The current Ubuntu LTS is actually irrelevant here. If anything, the newer Ubuntu LTS could present problems. This also creates a problem for game developers. If developers choose to target a newer LTS release, then they end up packaging their own libraries. This is the case with Feral Interactive games in particular, which also happen to be the only games I had issues with running when I was on Arch. Something about how the Arch runtimes are handled conflicted with the packaged libraries in Feral games.

I'm not sure about feral... the only one I honestly picked up was Shadow of Mordor. I never had any issues running it but It is possible their other ports have issues I haven't tested them.

I do remember there being an issue with Aspyrs Civ5 port... which I believe i fixed by precalling a specific library can't remember which though that was awhile back now. I think that issue was larger then just arch though... if I remember right you could launch the game fine directly just not from the steam launcher, think it also effected Ubuntu proper and seem to have fixed it since, cause I have reinstalled Linux since then I'm sure, and don't remember changing anything to launch it.

It’s pretty bad right now. People are having issues with even the supported titles. I went down my steam list and got to the G’s (alphabetical order) before I gave up. Only a coupe games worked correctly with all the rest either failing to launch or having game breaking problems.

It’s still something though. It’s a good first step in the right direction. Lutris with DXVK paired with this opens some doors and will continue to get better.

Just an update. Things are already improving. I decided to give the same games a shot again on Ubuntu Mate since I was playing around in it anyways and quite a few games started working. I don't know if Steam made any changes but its really nice seeing how quickly this is moving and how much the Linux community is helping.

Just an update. Things are already improving. I decided to give the same games a shot again on Ubuntu Mate since I was playing around in it anyways and quite a few games started working. I don't know if Steam made any changes but its really nice seeing how quickly this is moving and how much the Linux community is helping.

The devs are fantastic. If you have a problem and you know what you're on about, the devs will have no problem contacting you via email and using you to help them diagnose the issue. Outstanding.

Not sure why they are targeting 12.04 LTS. It's been EOL for over a year...

Edit: Link corrected.

Last edited:
Not sure why they are targeting 12.04 LTS. It's been EOL for over a year....
I blame the phenomenon known as Valve time. And it's not that they target 12.04 as an installation target so much as they've standardized the libraries and API's they use for Steam on the 12.04 base. If you look in the Steam folder on a linux installation, you'll find the libraries they're using in a folder called Ubuntu12_32.

The arch wiki has a more detailed explanation of the Steam runtime here.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Proton 3.7-7 released, restart your Steam client for it to take effect. Fixes as follows:

• Improvements to alt-tab and fullscreen behavior in many games.

• Fix mouse behavior in some games and mice with high sample rates.

• Update DXVK to v0.80.

I don't have the high sample rate issue with my Razer mouse, so I can't comment on the effectiveness of the fix.

Proton 3.7-7 released, restart your Steam client for it to take effect. Fixes as follows:

• Improvements to alt-tab and fullscreen behavior in many games.

• Fix mouse behavior in some games and mice with high sample rates.

• Update DXVK to v0.80.

I don't have the high sample rate issue with my Razer mouse, so I can't comment on the effectiveness of the fix.

I use a razor naga and haven't noticed any major issues in most games. Although in Star Trek Online I do notice some odd delayed mouse detection sometimes. Its odd mostly its fine but at times its like there is a slight delay on mouse input. I'll have to update and see if its effected.

I use a razor naga and haven't noticed any major issues in most games. Although in Star Trek Online I do notice some odd delayed mouse detection sometimes. Its odd mostly its fine but at times its like there is a slight delay on mouse input. I'll have to update and see if its effected.

Do you use the Open Razer drivers and one of the front end configuration packages ChadD? Open Razer and Polychromatic Controller work fantastic with my DeathAdder Elite and Blackwidow X Chroma.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
Do you use the Open Razer drivers and one of the front end configuration packages ChadD? Open Razer and Polychromatic Controller work fantastic with my DeathAdder Elite and Blackwidow X Chroma.

I have messed with them but never really found they where all that needed. I know they keep improving the project though.

I'm all set to go just fine without the fancy GUI stuff anyway. ;)

grep -B3 -A6 1532.*0015 /sys/kernel/debug/usb/devices
T: Bus=08 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#= 4 Spd=12 MxCh= 0
D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=1532 ProdID=0015 Rev= 2.00
S: Manufacturer=Razer
S: Product=Razer Naga
C:* #Ifs= 2 Cfg#= 1 Atr=a0 MxPwr=100mA
I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=03(HID ) Sub=01 Prot=02 Driver=usbhid
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 8 Ivl=1ms
I:* If#= 1 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=03(HID ) Sub=00 Prot=01 Driver=usbhid

systool -m usbhid -A mousepoll
Module = "usbhid"
mousepoll = "0"

Polychromatic and the open razor project are both really great projects though. :) At some point I'll probably install them again to see how much they have changed the last while.

EDIT... ya whatever they changed the mouse issue does seem to be fixed in STO. I have the GFX options turned down a bit lower then in windows but it actually looks better. One thing with that game when there is a lot of crap going on the engine seems to skip things. People are always complaining about Visual effects that don't show up ect on busy maps. That doesn't happen under Linux, everything renders correctly... a bit of slow down when 100 different things go off at once, I can only assume that under windows the DX path skips some stuff when a lot is going on, DXVK seems to render everything no matter what. Overall its not a bad thing.... pretty happy with this last patch.

Also they claim to have improved tabbing... I never really tabbed STO under LInux before cause I didn't want things to crash. Anyway I have it running in fullscreen mode right now and am alt tabbing with no issues butter smooth. If I pop out to the Gnome activities screen it does just show STO as a black screen... not that its a big deal, switching to it via activites the animation is smooth, just like running a native app. :)

Last edited:
Also they claim to have improved tabbing... I never really tabbed STO under LInux before cause I didn't want things to crash. Anyway I have it running in fullscreen mode right now and am alt tabbing with no issues butter smooth. If I pop out to the Gnome activities screen it does just show STO as a black screen... not that its a big deal, switching to it via activites the animation is smooth, just like running a native app. :)

I've had issues alt tabbing games under Windows. When you're right into a game, why the hell do you need to alt tab out anyway?! Like you, I never found it to be an issue as I never did it. :)

I've had issues alt tabbing games under Windows. When you're right into a game, why the hell do you need to alt tab out anyway?! Like you, I never found it to be an issue as I never did it. :)

Just about anything multiplayer?

I do it mostly to manage VOIP applications, but also to check messages or just read between rounds.

League of Legends is fairly clunky about this, while Battlefield 4 is very quick. And I would accuse BF4 of being well programmed...

I picked up NieR: Automata since it was 50% off. I only had a short amount of time to try it, but it fired right up and seemed to perform well. I only had time to make it through the opening sequence and defeated the bucket wheel excavator enemy, so we'll see how it goes longer term. Now I'm seeing all the threads about it being buggy and crashy on Windows, so I guess I'll keep the refund window in mind.

So far, I think it's going to be fun. :D

HW4qpmz.jpg

Frobozz, how the hell did you get that running? No matter how hard I try I get the network login error and the game crashes back to desktop
I found a forum posting (I forget where, but could probably dig it out if needed) that suggested that wine/proton was looking for libgnutls.so.26 and to create a symlink for it using whatever flavor is installed.

On my Ubuntu 18.04 box, I have libgnutls.so.30.14.10, so I made a symlink to it names libgnutls.so.26 and that got QC to load. I'd rate it a bronze or silver. Everything loads, and from what I remember from the windows experience, seems to work. (rendering, sound, menus, etc...) but for the first minute or so of a match you'll have stuttering whenever something new comes on screen. I assume it's some graphical compilation stuff that is normally prebuilt or cached. Gameplay wise, it's a big suck, but I'm tickled to see it work. I didn't have time to do a followup match to see if it would cruise after the initial lag.

Code:
you@hostname:~$ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgnutls.so.30.14.10 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgnutls.so.26

Last edited:
The symbolic link trick works in general when something is asking for a wrong version... just make sure you del the link when a project corrects an issue ect. Its an end round I have used before for other software. Just try and remember you did it so your not scratching your head 6 months later troubleshooting your fix. :)

Only a couple of rendering issues there. lol. Nice to to see that it runs though, bodes well for the future.
I think it moved into potato quality when I made it windowed and 1280x720... It runs like a champ full screen @ 1920x1080 and most things set to high. My 3770 & R9 290 do start to run out of gas at higher than 1080.

I took a few more this morning, but do think a better representation is at higher resolutions.. I just didn't want to blow out the forum with huge images. As far as the game itself, I'm 15 hours played and it's been stable.
x0BG7C1.png

fP4R8wS.png

iyzKUUY.png

They should take Steam docker based so it would run equally on any platform.

Frobozz, how the hell did you get that running? No matter how hard I try I get the network login error and the game crashes back to desktop
I just wanted to follow up on Quake Champions. The game gets pretty stable once you've seen all the maps, models, and shaders. I assume initially it's building a shader cache. Just had a solid few hours of gameplay with a few hic-ups here and there, but overall a playable and enjoyable experience. Some recent reddit threads indicate that you don't need the symlinking hack now, but I haven't removed it just yet.

edit: if they (valve, bethesda.. whoever) can sort out a pre-shader cache, I think it'll be a platinum experience. Right now, I guess I'd give it a silver or gold if you stick it out and see all the things to be seen.

Last edited:
I just wanted to follow up on Quake Champions. The game gets pretty stable once you've seen all the maps, models, and shaders. I assume initially it's building a shader cache. Just had a solid few hours of gameplay with a few hic-ups here and there, but overall a playable and enjoyable experience. Some recent reddit threads indicate that you don't need the symlinking hack now, but I haven't removed it just yet.

edit: if they (valve, bethesda.. whoever) can sort out a pre-shader cache, I think it'll be a platinum experience. Right now, I guess I'd give it a silver or gold if you stick it out and see all the things to be seen.

Quake Champions is now supported under Steamplay/Proton since the last update. Running Nvidia 396.54.09 Beta drivers with Proton 3.16-4 Beta performance is playable in windowed mode once maps and textures have cached, as Frobozz stated.

Full screen suffers glitches now and then though, I assume the rendering pipeline is backing up as the game most likely isn't using ARB_buffer_storage to maximize use of vram. Although OGL doesn't have the best memory management in this regard.

k4H9TGU.png

OK, so it appears that I had logging enabled under Proton 3.16 due to an issue with the fonts folder that I was diagnosing, disable logging and performance literally doubles!

Quake Champions is actually quite playable in windowed mode 1920 x 1080, enjoying it so far. 55-70fps with the occasional odd dip that I can compensate for.

Since the latest Steam update Quake Champions seems to be running even better. Running full screen 1080p with vsync enabled @ 60Hz and sitting pretty much at a rock solid 60 fps even in scenes of high activity. Not a bad game for free.

How were you able to get STO running? I'm running Linux Mint and Steam can get me to the launcher, but once I click "Engage", the game hangs.

Out of curiosity, I gave Star Trek Online a whirl. No issue. Check your Steam and Wine settings?

Back