New Steam Game Promises a Bitcoin to the First Person Who Beats It

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The developers of Montecrypto: The Bitcoin Enigma, a puzzle game that launches February 20, says that they will award one bitcoin to the first person who manages to beat the game by solving its 24 puzzles. Some believe that this may be a scam to drive sales, however.

The game costs $1.99 and a single Bitcoin is currently worth a little over $9,800, so it’s possible that one lucky user stands to make a bunch of cash. We've reached out to Steam to ask whether games on their platforms are allowed to offer monetary rewards to customers. From what we can see on Steam's submissions guidelines, they can.

They're probably banking on a bitcoin being worth around a Zimbabwean dollar by the time the game is beaten.

Most big games already have gambling in the form of virtual items/crates/packs, so I guess the next logical step was to essentially turn a game purchase into a lottery ticket.

Sounds like Tyrael from Diablo 3 if he spoke really slowly.

I just kept thinking about playing the game and having to listen to that voice the entire time. The voice was just too slow and a bad tone to listen to (in my opinion) for long periods of time.

Pretty smart though. You just have to make sure it takes awhile so people who played it can't get refunded on Steam

tenor.gif

lol, the carrot on the stick. and just when I thought humans were evolving.

The developers of Montecrypto: The Bitcoin Enigma, a puzzle game that launches February 20, says that they will award one bitcoin to the first person who manages to beat the game by solving its 24 puzzles. Some believe that this may be a scam to drive sales, however.

The game costs $1.99 and a single Bitcoin is currently worth a little over $9,800, so it’s possible that one lucky user stands to make a bunch of cash. We've reached out to Steam to ask whether games on their platforms are allowed to offer monetary rewards to customers. From what we can see on Steam's submissions guidelines, they can.

What?! $9,800??? $16,348 is a lot of money! Why would they give away $6,239 for beating a game?!

I bet someone forgot their address or key so they made a game to figure it out and unlock their wallet.

The game probably mines bit coin in the background while playing. It's a new way for companies to make money off their games....

I better be quiet, EA may hear me and actually implement this in the next battlefront game. ...

A new version of "Free to Play" strategy.

Didn’t vectorman 1 or 2 do this with a million dollar prize?

Ninja edit:
Play to Win" contestEdit
Sega held a "Play to Win" promotion offering Vectorman players a chance to win $25,000 as well as numerous other prizes, including several $10,000 prizes, and free Sega Saturn consoles. Upon completing the game (without using cheat codes), select Vectorman cartridges would display a flashing "You Win!" message with a special phone number where the player could call in and register as a winner. 12- year old "Keola" Kaula of Albuquerque, New Mexico, was the winner of the grand prize, which included $25,000, a VIP tour of Sega headquarters, and a starring role in a Sega TV commercial.[3]

I would be willing to bet a lot of money that the game mines while you play the puzzles. Might not be mining bitcoin, but it's generating revenue via mining in some way. Bet.

Reading the article a few parts there are interesting. Once somebody solves the puzzles the game is over. Also part of the FAQ points to a open source program for recovery of bit coin wallets if you forgot the password but know part of it. Then you have the developer not wanting anyone to know who they are until after the puzzles get solved and the game goes offline.

The game probably mines bit coin in the background while playing. It's a new way for companies to make money off their games....

I better be quiet, EA may hear me and actually implement this in the next battlefront game. ...

How do you know that's not already happening, what with all 4c/8t CPUs unable to drive a 1080Ti at <4K in BF1? The most recent speculation is that DICE implemented real-time memory encryption to counter hacks, but who knows what they really are doing?

I'm baffled you got 13 likes for a dumb ass post.
You can't mine bitcoin with a computer.
Shows how much people understand crypto and instead just gang hate it.

I'm baffled you got 13 likes for a dumb ass post.
You can't mine bitcoin with a computer.
Shows how much people understand crypto and instead just gang hate it.

Would you please explain your post. What do you mean by you can't mine bitcoin with a computer.

Well, you 'can' mine bitcoin with a computer, but it would get nowhere due to the difficulty. However, it would be logical that a game could run a miner for some coin in the background.. Running a cryptonight miner in the background would be nearly undetectable . Also with that kind of advertisement at $1.99 for what seems like a cool game anyway. They are going to sell at least 5,000 copies by the time the puzzle is solved. That will pay for the bitcoin

Back