New Startup Shoots for the Moon

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
It’s no joke, the company actually shooting for the moon. The company, Moon Express, is a startup company created by Silicon Valley entrepreneurs. The startup plans to mine the moon for precious and rare metallic elements.

"MoonEx should be ready to land on the lunar surface by 2013," Jain said. "It's our goal to be the first company there and stay there."

Oh great, so now they'll give up pieces of useless rocks and charge more than they do for crystals because they're "Moon Crystals(TM)"!

And then we'll have wars over who owns what part of the moon. Some company will just go there and claim 3/4 of it as theirs for no reason what-so-ever and shoot anyone who steps on their property...Mark my words!

I don't think all of the countries are going to agree on a private corporation staking it's claims to the moon. We've long had a treaty protecting the moon's environment anyway.

Isn't the basis of the 2002 version of the Time Machine that we were mining on moon to the extent that it became unstable and chunks were falling to earth, and the whole thing was out of whack causing gravitational anomalies.

I hope you're prepared to go underground! Human flesh yum!

Isn't the basis of the 2002 version of the Time Machine that we were mining on moon to the extent that it became unstable and chunks were falling to earth, and the whole thing was out of whack causing gravitational anomalies.

I hope you're prepared to go underground! Human flesh yum!

while the movie was pretty stupid that was a very cool scene.

They wont even be able to launch anything without months and months of red tape and government approval..
You know all this "homeland security" and Terrorist stuff.. got to keep the US interest safe.. and the money in the right hands and not some silly company in California...

It will never happen.

I don't think all of the countries are going to agree on a private corporation staking it's claims to the moon. We've long had a treaty protecting the moon's environment anyway.
LOL

right.

At some point we're going to want to build sustainable colonies. That's going to require the exchange of goods. I'm sure the international community can work something out when we get that far.

Right now they're wanting to do a geological survey and win the Lunar X Prize.

Well, nothing will get us to the moon faster than finding out if it has valuable minerals we can strip mine.

As a land owner on the moon i'm going to expect some kind of monetary reward for not killing them.

curious how they're going to do it, considering if the moon was made of gold it'd cost more to get it than it'd be worth.

curious how they're going to do it, considering if the moon was made of gold it'd cost more to get it than it'd be worth.

Silly forum poster. The moon's made of cheese. Everybody knows that.

That cost is an estimate based on the cost of the Apollo missions. The Apollo Lunar Modules used chemical rockets and had to carry a heavy human/life support payload.

If we could put some sort of electromagnet launcher on the moon we could fire back large payloads of rock for a lot less money.

Back