New Star Wars Trilogy Announced, Created by Rian Johnson

monkeymagick

[H]News
Before the release of his first Star Wars film, Lucasfilm and Disney have decided to hand over the reins for a future trilogy of the franchise over to Rian Johnson. Revealed during a conference call, the writer-director of The Last Jedi is tasked to create new stories and adventures in the universe. I take it that must be a good sign for the upcoming movie as the studio heads are putting their trust in him. Will any of the defiant theater owners concede due to the hype? The Last Jedi is headed to theaters on Dec 15.

Check out The Star Wars show.

Originally George Lucas had planned for the "Star Wars" series to have 11 parts, this was discussed in one of the earlier official Star Wars fan club newsletters aka "Bantha Tracks" (yes, I had a sub but then again I saw Star Wars on the day it was released in 1977 too) but of course he never made it nearly that far. I've never been able to find out why he chose to start making them at Part IV in the first place but, at this point in time as someone that grew up caring about the original theatrical trilogy I can - without any qualms - say Star Wars is basically dead to me and has been for a long, long time (pun very much intended)

This is going to be nothing more than a money grab like the most recent movies and "The Last Jedi" coming next month and whatever comes after that as well. Sad, because I really did love that original trilogy tremendously.

Originally George Lucas had planned for the "Star Wars" series to have 11 parts, this was discussed in one of the earlier official Star Wars fan club newsletters aka "Bantha Tracks" (yes, I had a sub but then again I saw Star Wars on the day it was released in 1977 too) but of course he never made it nearly that far. I've never been able to find out why he chose to start making them at Part IV in the first place but, at this point in time as someone that grew up caring about the original theatrical trilogy I can - without any qualms - say Star Wars is basically dead to me and has been for a long, long time (pun very much intended)

This is going to be nothing more than a money grab like the most recent movies and "The Last Jedi" coming next month and whatever comes after that as well. Sad, because I really did love that original trilogy tremendously.

With regards to the "part IV": he was aping the old Flash Gordon serials that he enjoyed as a kid. They had chapter references at the start (and title cards to catch you up).

I absolutely know they won't be doing this, but there's a shit ton of good material in the Old Republic canon. I'd pay to see that in a heartbeat, because it was definitive proof that you didn't have to rely on the Skywalker legacy to have a successful and interesting story.

If we all knew about the Luke was Vader son and Leia was Luke's brother thing so much of the moives would have been broken.

The thing with Star Wars ANH, George didn't intend on making more then one movie. He was just telling his space saga one time and moving on. The movie was such a phenomenal hit that he created ESB & ROJ.

I'm not so sure of this move by Disney seeing as Last Jedi isn't out yet. But it shall be interesting to see where this guy takes us in the universe.

Looper was a good movie, The brothers bloom not so much. I am hoping for the best.

The thing with Star Wars ANH, George didn't intend on making more then one movie. He was just telling his space saga one time and moving on. The movie was such a phenomenal hit that he created ESB & ROJ.

I'm not so sure of this move by Disney seeing as Last Jedi isn't out yet. But it shall be interesting to see where this guy takes us in the universe.

You convently left out the Holiday Special for some reason.

I absolutely know they won't be doing this, but there's a shit ton of good material in the Old Republic canon. I'd pay to see that in a heartbeat, because it was definitive proof that you didn't have to rely on the Skywalker legacy to have a successful and interesting story.

Yeah, but Disney canned the expanded universe, much to the chagrin of fans everywhere. It was totally unnecessary. I had always thought the next trilogy would evolve around guys like Grand Admiral Thrawn, but instead they basically remade A New Hope with far inferior character development and called in a new movie. Seriously, when I was sitting in the theatre and saw the "death planet" I was like "oh no, don't tell me....".

Yeah, but Disney canned the expanded universe, much to the chagrin of fans everywhere. It was totally unnecessary. I had always thought the next trilogy would evolve around guys like Grand Admiral Thrawn, but instead they basically remade A New Hope with far inferior character development and called in a new movie. Seriously, when I was sitting in the theatre and saw the "death planet" I was like "oh no, don't tell me....".

There are so many good books in the EU, Disney really made a mistake there. And yeah, I was not happy with force awakens either, it made its money though didn’t it now.

And the beloved Ewok Adventure movies!

Ugh!!! Is it too early to drink? I had forgotten about those! At least the Holiday Special has the excuse that it was the '70s and everyone was high af (not to mention the general acceptance of really crappy variety shows was still present.)

There are so many good books in the EU, Disney really made a mistake there. And yeah, I was not happy with force awakens either, it made its money though didn’t it now.

There were far more bad books than good, IMHO. Reading Zahn's "Hand of Thrawn" twofer is like reading a massive fix-fic.

I really enjoyed TFA and Rogue One, I'm looking forward to Episode 8 and this new trilogy.

Get over it. The expanded universe sucked. Literally nobody was excited about seeing some Smurf in Star Wars. What was inferior about the character development? Rey beating up a boy?

They do seem to be borrowing on/expanding on good elements like KOTOR lore (like Rey's mysterious powers, Ren's armor, and Luke on the unknown world) and the troubles with Han and Leia's offspring.

They do seem to be borrowing on/expanding on good elements like KOTOR lore (like Rey's mysterious powers, Ren's armor, and Luke on the unknown world) and the troubles with Han and Leia's offspring.

You're really reaching if you believe they had borrowed anything from KOTOR at all for FA.

I really enjoyed TFA and Rogue One, I'm looking forward to Episode 8 and this new trilogy.

Get over it. The expanded universe sucked. Literally nobody was excited about seeing some Smurf in Star Wars. What was inferior about the character development? Rey beating up a boy?

I thought TFA was a re-hash but I still enjoyed it. You need to rope in the kids again, after all, it's not supposed to be a nostalgia-fest (entirely, at least). I really liked Rogue One as it was "Below Decks" kind of story and not focused on the holy-trinity.

You're really reaching if you believe they had borrowed anything from KOTOR at all for FA.

In KOTOR I and II there are examples of characters being bound together through the force and rapidly developing their powers. Something similar between Rey and Ren would explain a lot. There's clearly something strange going on between them, as we see in the interrogation and the fight scene.

In KOTOR I and II there are examples of characters being bound together through the force and rapidly developing their powers. Something similar between Rey and Ren would explain a lot. There's clearly something strange going on between them, as we see in the interrogation and the fight scene.

Which would actually be great, if that's the case. But we won't know until The Last Jedi. As it stands now, Rey is the stereotypical hero who miraculously acquired super saiyan Jedi powers with no training.

And only one Spaceballs.

From age 2-10 I thought spaces balls was a part of the series. I would watch them all on vhs and not know that it was a comedy. I also thought young frankenstein was a horror movie. Love the 80s!

You have the most powerful weapon in the known universe. Some terrorists destroy it. What do you do? Give up on that power because although it's incredibly powerful and can destroy an entire system, or rebuild it to put fear into the galaxy and rule with an iron fist?

I can easily see why there would be another one. It'd make no sense if they just abandoned the technology of the Death Star. It worked, it was bad ass. Now, the story revolving around destroying it as it's bearing down on something? That gets a bit old. Great movie, just watched it again the other day. It's just that there are a lot of similarities between it and ANH.

I never read any of the books. To me, if it didn't happen on-screen, it didn't happen. So I don't have a problem with them coming up with a new story (even if people say it was a copy of A New Hope). I like see characters I know. So even though I liked Rogue One, I want to keep seeing how the story and the characters go.

Although I do hope in future installments they ditch any kind of super weapons as we've seen that too many times.

Color me not shocked. Time they went elsewhere and tapped a new well specifically crafted for merch. Perhaps a new line of Star Wars themed video cards I hadn't even considered!

A new trilogy isn't the only announcement. They are doing a live action television series also.

You guys seriously need to watch the Star Wars: Rebels TV show. They have been bringing back several things into canon or made variations of them. They brought Thrawn back in a huge way. His on screen appearance is quite intimidating even if it's just animation.

They have also made canon (albeit heavily altered) the battle of Malachor V depicted in Knights of Old Republic 1 and 2 and implied Darth Treya and Darth Revan existed in some form. Darth Treya's voice is present on a Sith Holocron although they never explicitly say it's her. Darth Bane was also made canon at the end of the Clone Wars TV show.

Also, the writers gave a huge shoutout to the Extended Universe fans in Season 2 Episode 21 "Twighlight of the Apprentice Part 1":

"There's always a bit of truth in legends." -Ahsoka Tano

This is not exactly true. As I recall, he (or really someone else) started writing a sequel before the first one came out, he retained rights for sequels and he wanted the rights for merchandising. All of that sounds like he thought their could be sequels.

Regardless, someone says 11 movies, but I only remember seeing 9. It was in Newsweek (or was it time) in the late 70s or early 80s. In that outline, I remember that Luke/Vader both lived through Revenge of the Jedi, but one of them died in the 7th film.

As for what Disney's doing, it makes total sense. It's precisely why they bought Lucasfilm...well this and maybe some new Indy movies.

Color me not shocked. Time they went elsewhere and tapped a new well specifically crafted for merch. Perhaps a new line of Star Wars themed video cards I hadn't even considered!
You know those would sell like hotcakes if they didn't make them to insanely expensive.

Indiana Jones is a dead property and it should remain that way. You want to watch a modern Indy Jones film? Watch any of the last 3 Pirates movies and squint hard.

Hardly unexpected, but there certainly can be fatigue for a franchise. This round there are still 2x main films and 2x side films to release. I know one is coming out very soon, but after an annual Star Wars film for 6 years in a row it might be a good idea to wait a few years to rebuild up that hype. See what worked and what didn't.

A new trilogy isn't the only announcement. They are doing a live action television series also.

You guys seriously need to watch the Star Wars: Rebels TV show. They have been bringing back several things into canon or made variations of them. They brought Thrawn back in a huge way. His on screen appearance is quite intimidating even if it's just animation.

They have also made canon (albeit heavily altered) the battle of Malachor V depicted in Knights of Old Republic 1 and 2 and implied Darth Treya and Darth Revan existed in some form. Darth Treya's voice is present on a Sith Holocron although they never explicitly say it's her. Darth Bane was also made canon at the end of the Clone Wars TV show.

Also, the writers gave a huge shoutout to the Extended Universe fans in Season 2 Episode 21 "Twighlight of the Apprentice Part 1":

"There's always a bit of truth in legends." -Ahsoka Tano

Rebels doesn't get enough praise. It is a much better show than CW (and I liked CW) with tighter arcs and more of that feeling of adventure that ANH had.

This is not exactly true. As I recall, he (or really someone else) started writing a sequel before the first one came out, he retained rights for sequels and he wanted the rights for merchandising. All of that sounds like he thought their could be sequels.

Regardless, someone says 11 movies, but I only remember seeing 9. It was in Newsweek (or was it time) in the late 70s or early 80s. In that outline, I remember that Luke/Vader both lived through Revenge of the Jedi, but one of them died in the 7th film.

As for what Disney's doing, it makes total sense. It's precisely why they bought Lucasfilm...well this and maybe some new Indy movies.

Alan Dean Foster wrote "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" based on GL's story notes. Setup to be cheap to film if ANH bombed. It didn't and the only surviving portion was the swamp planet that became Dagobah. Fun read, but you could change Luke's name to Flinx and the story would still (mostly) work. Complete with Deus Ex Machina at the end!

Back