new standards for VGA's and monitors

JSF35rhino

[H]ard|Gawd
http://www.overclockers.com/tips00826/
DisplayPort

display port technology it's not far off . and it can change everything . think hard before you lay out big $$$ for a vga and monitor update. the new system has a totally new refresh-rate technology . i suppose even if things go close to as planned it will be a little late but i'm thinking two years . more or less. :eek:

1. DDR2 came out years ago and it is just making solid grasp in the industry.
2. PCIe is just getting solid grasp over a year + later.

There will ALWAYS be something newer and better down the line. So as for your comment, I'll buy what I need at the time and upgrade as I go. If you think VGA is gonna disapear overnight, you are sadly mistaken.

Remember the whole world does not revolved around the desktop PC. There is this thing called "indsustry" which still keeps alot of things around because they are cheaper, not better.

But of course you are just repeating was Ed said:

However, if you're thinking about laying out a bunch for a video card thinking it will last you two-three years, or a bunch more for a monitor thinking it will last you five or more, well, this ought to make you think twice.

This will not happen over night. Dell even said they are goig to support BTX but ATX is still around. It takes time my man, it takes time.

But we also need change so the whiners here have something new to complain about. Because eventaully they'll have to give up their "why didn't they make it AGP" argument.

-tReP

With the DRM rumours about this technology, people might be interested in sticking with the latest VGA/DVI monitors at the time it comes out.

yea i'll bet there will be some good pros to the new system in that it won't waste as much energy and gpu power as before-- and is a break from the current technology.

the down side is DRM--what kind of --if any DRM stuff is going to be involved?

kinda leaning towards the new vga+ monitor on the old system could be DRM free--but it is all in how DRM is introduced to the system-- only time will tell--

yea it will be a couple of years i'll guess--and it might be even more if development hits a snag and--even when it comes out--if it is outrageous $$$$ (and likely will be) it could take even longer--but what if it is better and cheeper ?--

food for thought anyway. :eek:

Trepidati0n said:
But we also need change so the whiners here have something new to complain about. Because eventaully they'll have to give up their "why didn't they make it AGP" argument.

-tReP

ahha so true - welcome to PROGRESS people - move on - out with the old, in with the new! whether you like it or not.

I asume that we'll see the new and a DVI-I port on future video cards. Either that, or well see something like DVI-A where the current standards work in the new plug, requiring only a cheap converter to conver to the old format. I hope so, since I bought 2 19" CRT monitors less than a year ago.

MrGuvernment said:
ahha so true - welcome to PROGRESS people - move on - out with the old, in with the new! whether you like it or not.

I don't like it so i buy PRE ODBII cars ie pre 95! :D Plus from what i heard the main purpose of DRM is to control piracy. So lets dump everything in the name of CONTROL! Which btw will be cracked with 24 hours after you just spent big $$$ as usual! :p

Back