New STALKER game announced

Plague_Injected

Supreme [H]ardness
This from an Australian site: http://games.on.net/article/5779/S.T.A.L.K.E.R_Call_of_Pripyat_to_sound_in_Spring ('Fall' for nothern hemisphere dwellers)

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Call of Pripyat to sound in Spring
By Steven Perdikis - Sat May 2, 2009 10:39am

GSC Game World have announced that they plan to add another title to the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. franchise, which should release in Australia during Spring. Entitled S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat (which is a working title), the new game will use an updated version of the X-Ray engine, and once more take players into the Zone.

Call of Pripyat centres on a government plan that has identified an open path to the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant. The Government plan to take the area by force, and bring the region under the control. As is normally the case with video game plans, something goes wrong, and the player finds themselves in the thick of it, needing to clean up.

The government plan, which revolves around a military operation starts going wrong when the recon helicopters sent in to map out the zone crash into spectacular fireballs. With this failure, the Ukraine Government sends their agent, the player, into the Zone, in a bid to find out what went wrong.

The game will feature a play style similar to the first two in the series, but will add new features. These include:

- Photorealistic exclusion Zone – Pripyat town, Yanov railway station, Jupiter factory, Kopachi village and more, recreated by their true-to-life prototypes.

- New story, a number of unique characters.

- Extended system of side quests.

- New monsters: Chimera and Burer. New behaviour and abilities for all monsters.

- New A-Life system, created using the players' best-liked elements of the first two games in series.

- Emissions considerably influence the world of the Zone.

- Sleep function added into the game.

- New player's interface.

- Possibility to continue the game after completion in a freeplay mode.

- The game is developed on X-Ray engine v.1.6

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat is due for release in the Australian Spring of this year, and will be available on the PC.

More quirky goodness from the Zone. Can't wait!

I still need to go back and work on my S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky game. I never finished it.

Hopefully it'll be more like SoC than Clear Sky. I eagerly await :D.

Still need to play S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky. :(

Good to hear another PC exclusive game to be released. Hope GSC doesn't eff this one up like they did with Clear Sky. SoC was great though.

Awesome, this is great news. I simply love the STALKER games, I can't wait for this

959904_20090430_screen001.jpg

959904_20090430_screen002.jpg

But that game keeps on giving!

So true. So true.

I've played 3 of the mods just finishing Priboi Story and have played vanilla many times.
I actually prefer vanilla with Float32.

Getting ready to play Clear Sky for the third time as soon as my second 4890 gets here and Steam decides to grace us with the latest patch...............although I do need to finish H.A.W.X. and Far Cry 2 (which ain't as bad as everybody says except I'm getting that Vista random CTD thing :mad)

Very very excited about Call of Prypiat. If it's got S.T.A.L.K.E.R. on it, I'm in.

There is a huge discussion on this on the GSC Stalker forums and I think they're about to give this game it's own board. Might even be this weekend. Let the countdown begin. :D

Far Cry 2 (which ain't as bad as everybody says except I'm getting that Vista random CTD thing :mad)

I'm running Vista x64 without a problem. Not a single crash... ever. And I've played it at times for a few hours straight.

I'm running with a 9800GTX+, but I have a 4870 that I could try if you think that's the issue?

I'm running Vista x64 without a problem. Not a single crash... ever. And I've played it at times for a few hours straight.

I'm running with a 9800GTX+, but I have a 4870 that I could try if you think that's the issue?

I've got 3 sites open on my upstairs gaming computer that are talking about this being a "known" issue with Vista and Far Cry 2 where the game simply runs out of memory and closes to desktop and talking about how it is similar to "known" GTA IV issue. (never played GTA IV so....)

I'm usually pretty happy if I can Google a problem and find a few pages of people having the same problem. Where I worry is when I search a problem and get nothing,:eek: Then I worry.

Anyway, my wife came home before I had a chance to read up on it and see what solutions are out there if any or if it is an ATI problem as well. The game goes a good couple of hours and then just *poof*......like I exited the game and I'm back at the desktop like nothing happened.

Anyway..........don't want to HIJACK.

GO S.T.A.L.K.E.R. !!! Call of Prypiat can't come soon enough. I love me some crazy Russians. :p

I still need to go back and work on my S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky game. I never finished it.

Clear Sky was a most disappointing follow-up to one of my favorite games.

But I'll probably still buy this cuz i'm a sucka.

I've got 3 sites open on my upstairs gaming computer that are talking about this being a "known" issue with Vista and Far Cry 2 where the game simply runs out of memory and closes to desktop and talking about how it is similar to "known" GTA IV issue. (never played GTA IV so....)

I'm usually pretty happy if I can Google a problem and find a few pages of people having the same problem. Where I worry is when I search a problem and get nothing,:eek: Then I worry.

Anyway, my wife came home before I had a chance to read up on it and see what solutions are out there if any or if it is an ATI problem as well. The game goes a good couple of hours and then just *poof*......like I exited the game and I'm back at the desktop like nothing happened.

Anyway..........don't want to HIJACK.

Don't want to hijack either, but weird...

I have 8GB of RAM, and always have at least the task manager running, and have never seen my memory usage do anything weird, ever... I actually wish games would use more of my RAM, but they don't!

But yeah, hadn't heard of it, just read some on it, but I've run it DX9 XP 32-bit 4870 and DX10 Vista 64-bit 9800GTX+, and have never experienced that...

Can't say I've ever experienced a CTD or BSoD from any game, either system...

Still need to try out the first two STALKERs, but good to know they're continuing the series...

Well, as a shock to everyone here, I've played both Stalker games on the same system and never had a problem of any kind. Really with any game. Well, I had an annoying thing with fps drops and a 4870-512 in Clear Sky but switching to a GTX 260 solved the problem. Plus with Clear Sky I didn't do any of the faction wars stuff till a couple of patches came out so that probably saved me a few headaches as it seems the faction wars were a major source of the ctd's people were getting in that game.
Oh, and one UT3 Physx map would give me problems but thats it.

Anyway, gonna read up on it later when I get upstairs. If nothing else, I'll just have to save a lot. 8Gb probably helps a lot with not having that problem. I might even do that. :D

Well, as a shock to everyone here, I've played both Stalker games on the same system and never had a problem of any kind. Really with any game. Well, I had an annoying thing with fps drops and a 4870-512 in Clear Sky but switching to a GTX 260 solved the problem. Plus with Clear Sky I didn't do any of the faction wars stuff till a couple of patches came out so that probably saved me a few headaches as it seems the faction wars were a major source of the ctd's people were getting in that game.
Oh, and one UT3 Physx map would give me problems but thats it.

Anyway, gonna read up on it later when I get upstairs. If nothing else, I'll just have to save a lot. 8Gb probably helps a lot with not having that problem. I might even do that. :D

I assume it's the extra memory on the 260 that's helping S:CS?

Never had FC2 do anything when running in DX9 on the 2GB XP 32-bit machine though, either. Like I said, even on the 8GB machine, I've never seen the memory usage do anything weird... I'm always monitoring my systems, it's what lets me know whether the GPU or the CPU is the current bottleneck. I've never seen even 4GB or RAM being using with FC2 loaded, so dunno... But, it sure it nice to seemingly never have anything hit the swap file, which is why I went 8GB (it was worth the extra $40...)

I just think it sucks when someone's system seems completely fine, then they find one thing (game) that won't run right, and someone else with two systems can't duplicate it... I know (from the threads I read) that they blame the devs, but I dunno... I have XP and Vista, 32-bit/64-bit, ATI and Nvidia, 2GB RAM and 8GB RAM, and still dunno...

FWIW - I've been using a particular software for years that has an issue with "out of memory"... Never made sense, since it's running on a system with 2GB of RAM, and only 700MB was currently used... Someone who struggled with it on 32-bit OSes recently noticed that if you run it on 64-bit Vista, the problem can't be duplicated... But it apparently takes a 64-bit OS... The devs only ever comment is that they can't duplicate it on any OS... I haven't tried it yet, but it was a guaranteed issue in 2000 and 32-bit XP, so I'll know almost instantly if 64-bit Vista makes it disappear...

Back to STALKER:

One thing that bugged me about FC2 a bit was all of the running around back and forth repetitiveness... is STALKER the same way?

Back to STALKER:

One thing that bugged me about FC2 a bit was all of the running around back and forth repetitiveness... is STALKER the same way?
Not really. There isn't that much backtracking in the game.

This news makes me want to scream like a little girl. Shadow of Chernobyl seemed like an incomplete masterpiece, but it was in every sense of the word a masterpiece. Clear sky did almost nothing to fill the holes of the first game, but it was a much more visually stunning work of art which added another level of difficulty to the AI, and made the money you get for quests and artifacts, so I wasn't much disappointed.

I cant begin to describe how much I can't wait for this new one, although It makes me sad because I haven't had a computer that could run the first two stalker games in 5 months now, but that doesn't matter, I will own this game. Stalker is the epitome of what a PC FPS game is, and it is one of the few games left that can be called a PC 'based' FPS, because it is an actual challenge like climbing a mountain or building something out of wood, like games used to be, not point-shoot-dead : repeat daily and re-release yearly. (although I applaud them again because they release there games in a reasonable time table unlike valve w/ half life 2 episodes)

This news makes me want to scream like a little girl. Shadow of Chernobyl seemed like an incomplete masterpiece, but it was in every sense of the word a masterpiece. Clear sky did almost nothing to fill the holes of the first game, but it was a much more visually stunning work of art which added another level of difficulty to the AI, and made the money you get for quests and artifacts, so I wasn't much disappointed.

I cant begin to describe how much I can't wait for this new one, although It makes me sad because I haven't had a computer that could run the first two stalker games in 5 months now, but that doesn't matter, I will own this game. Stalker is the epitome of what a PC FPS game is, and it is one of the few games left that can be called a PC 'based' FPS, because it is an actual challenge like climbing a mountain or building something out of wood, like games used to be, not point-shoot-dead : repeat daily and re-release yearly. (although I applaud them again because they release there games in a reasonable time table unlike valve w/ half life 2 episodes)

It's possibly what a single player game should be, but PC FPS games were born from the likes of Doom and Quake. Deathmatch games focused entirely on perfect gameplay, not on a half baked storyline or clumsy incorporation of RPG elements. The challenge should arise from matching wits and skills with another human being, not from frustrating and gimmicky preprogrammed gameplay mechanics a la single player. That's why single player games have evolved into exercises in spectacle as opposed to autocannabilistic futility.

I mean, I enjoyed the other games & all, but I seriously hope this one isn't nearly as buggy.

High hopes, I know.

I mean, I enjoyed the other games & all, but I seriously hope this one isn't nearly as buggy.

Seriously. Third time needs to be the charm. Please no incomplete, broken products at launch this time.

Seriously. Third time needs to be the charm. Please no incomplete, broken products at launch this time.

Well, I could just be talking out of my ass but here is my theory. It doesn't matter how mature the X-Ray engine is. Most of the bugs are script errors. With each new game your gonna have an entirely new set and consequently the potential for just as many bugs. Some are so simple you would not believe. A wrong 1 or 0 or a translation error....misspelled words and stuff like that coming from Russian to English.

Some stuff though like the still missing third Cordon flash drive just make you scratch your head and wonder.

But bugs and all, Stalker is my game. Everything else is just stuff I do in between the next time I play Stalker.

Well, I could just be talking out of my ass but here is my theory. It doesn't matter how mature the X-Ray engine is. Most of the bugs are script errors. With each new game your gonna have an entirely new set and consequently the potential for just as many bugs. Some are so simple you would not believe. A wrong 1 or 0 or a translation error....misspelled words and stuff like that coming from Russian to English.

Some stuff though like the still missing third Cordon flash drive just make you scratch your head and wonder.

But bugs and all, Stalker is my game. Everything else is just stuff I do in between the next time I play Stalker.

I thought they were going to go to a new engine and possibly even the Crysis engine. I take it that was a false rumor?

I thought they were going to go to a new engine and possibly even the Crysis engine. I take it that was a false rumor?

Totally false. The game will be made using latest version of X-Ray engine 1.6.

Photorealistic exclusion Zone – Pripyat town, Yanov railway station, Jupiter factory, Kopachi village and more, recreated by their true-to-life prototypes.
New story, a number of unique characters.
Extended system of side quests.
New monsters: Chimera and Burer. New behaviour and abilities for all monsters.
New A-Life system, created using the players' best-liked elements of the first two games in series.
Emissions considerably influence the world of the Zone.
Sleep function added into the game.
New player’s interface.
Possibility to continue the game after completion in a freeplay mode.
The game is developed on X-Ray engine v.1.6

This is from GSC front page.

What has me worried is the phrase "New player's interface". wtf does THAT mean. I like the old interface just fine.

Last edited:
Totally false. The game will be made using latest version of X-Ray engine 1.6.

Photorealistic exclusion Zone – Pripyat town, Yanov railway station, Jupiter factory, Kopachi village and more, recreated by their true-to-life prototypes.
New story, a number of unique characters.
Extended system of side quests.
New monsters: Chimera and Burer. New behaviour and abilities for all monsters.
New A-Life system, created using the players' best-liked elements of the first two games in series.
Emissions considerably influence the world of the Zone.
Sleep function added into the game.
New player’s interface.
Possibility to continue the game after completion in a freeplay mode.
The game is developed on X-Ray engine v.1.6

This is from GSC front page.

What has me worried is the phrase "New player's interface". wtf does THAT mean. I like the old interface just fine.

Sounds good. I'll be interested to see what "new player's interface" is as well.

I read that on the steam forums. I think it was just some kids wishfull thinking. Besides, I prefer the X-Ray engine to Cryengine 2. The X-Ray still renders the best looking indoor scenes I've seen to date.

I'll take this to another thread after this, but I just wanted to update that I did over four hours of FC2 today straight, and no crash, and RAM usage never even fluctuated...

If it's a game issue, I'm not seeing it... Between my two machine's specs, you'd think I would have...

I certainly tried my best to make it happen, but after four hrs, my ass just hurt too much...

Make a new thread with some links to whatever you found, I'm curious about the problem...

If the devs say they're not seeing it, based on my experience, I believe 'em...

I'll take this to another thread after this, but I just wanted to update that I did over four hours of FC2 today straight, and no crash, and RAM usage never even fluctuated...

If it's a game issue, I'm not seeing it... Between my two machine's specs, you'd think I would have...

I certainly tried my best to make it happen, but after four hrs, my ass just hurt too much...

Make a new thread with some links to whatever you found, I'm curious about the problem...

If the devs say they're not seeing it, based on my experience, I believe 'em...

LOL

I just came downstairs from reading a 6 page thread at Ubi FarCry 2 forums where people are threatning to sue over this issue. crazy kids. You know, I believe the devs probably don't see it either. This is one of those deals where it has to happen to somebody that really knows what the hell is going on then they tell the devs how to fix it. I wish I had another machine capable of running the game.

I set my G15 keyboard to watch memory and it does rise incrementaly over about a 45 to 60 minute period and on my machine, starts out showing in the 40% range, when the g15 showed memory usage above 60% a crash was only seconds away. My symptoms perfectly match all of the threads I have been reading, especially the one at Ubi.

So............ I've got an old Samsung 20" LCD and I'm gonna hook it up as my second monitor and play while I watch a few things to see if I can tell whats happening.
I don't have ANY uneccessary programs running and this is a pretty recent install.

Thanks for looking into it for me.

Next time I'm up there, I'll find the threads again and PM them to you so we can leave this thread where it belongs.

This is one of those deals where it has to happen to somebody that really knows what the hell is going on then they tell the devs how to fix it. I wish I had another machine capable of running the game.

Good luck on that...

Between four machines, 2000/XP/Vista, I never experienced the "hitching" bug with HL2...

But now I experience it with L4D... and the hitching at times is pretty bad, too...

Yeah, start a new thread of PM me... (Preferably a new thread, there's gotta be others with the same problem...)

I love me some crazy Russians. :p

Russians? And where did you see Russians? Do you even know where did the Chernobyl tragedy happened? Or even by whom this game is developed? Or are you just a regular dumb "American" who hears E European language and immediately assumes it's Russian...

Russians? And where did you see Russians? Do you even know where did the Chernobyl tragedy happened? Or even by whom this game is developed? Or are you just a regular dumb "American" who hears E European language and immediately assumes it's Russian...

Ease up there cowboy. I know it was in the Ukraine and that GSC game world is a Ukranian developer and that there are some serious issues between the Ukranian and Russian cultures. I even know that some people were mad that the game was made in the Russian language and there was an outcry demanding a Ukranian version as well.

I spend a little bit of time in the GSC forums and I see many references to the fact that the language used in the game is indeed Russian. Many of the signs in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. are Ukranian but most are in Russian. Even though GSC is a Ukranian developer, the main forum is in the Russian language.

Now, I live in Texas. Are you just a regular dumb Ukranian who thinks I have a ranch and an oil well.

Ease up there cowboy. I know it was in the Ukraine and that GSC game world is a Ukranian developer and that there is some serious issues between the Ukranian and Russian cultures. I even know that some people were mad that the game was made in the Russian language and there was an outcry demanding a Ukranian version as well.

I spend a little bit of time in the GSC forums and I see many references to the fact that the language used in the game is indeed Russian. Many of the signs in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. are Ukranian but most are in Russian. Even though GSC is a Ukranian developer, the main forum is in the Russian language.

All true.

Now, I live in Texas. Are you just a regular dumb Ukranian who thinks I have a ranch and an oil well.

Don't you wish that you did? ;)

Aren't there mods for the first games to continue playing after main story completion?

Back