New SSD Win7/Steam install - can I port my installs from old HDD?

Arkangyl

Gawd
I finally got an SSD and re-installed Win7, however I still have my HDD with all my steam games downloaded and installed connected to the system.

What I'd like to do is just setup sym-links to the old installs and get my NEW steam install to recognize them...

- just adding the symbolic link doesn't work
- I tried copying all the //Steam/steamapps/*.gcf and *.ncf files to the new Steam/steamapps folder; that got steam to see the games on re-load but they crash (I assume because the registry keys or something are effed...)

Anyone know what I'm missing or if this is even possible? I'd rather not DL all the games to the SSD just to move & symlink them; but that looks to be what I'll have to do...

thanks!

alright, I'm a bit of an idiot...

this method seems to work OK for far cry 2, (I tested portal 2 before) so I'm thinking it might just be something special with Valve games... there were a few 'orange box' and other more general Valve files I'm guessing are related...

i think what i did is just reinstall steam and tell it to install to the old folder (D:\program files x86\steam etc ) and it sees that your games are already there. Most games you will have to find your saves (all over the damm place) and copy them to C:

I finally got an SSD and re-installed Win7, however I still have my HDD with all my steam games downloaded and installed connected to the system.

What I'd like to do is just setup sym-links to the old installs and get my NEW steam install to recognize them...

- just adding the symbolic link doesn't work
- I tried copying all the //Steam/steamapps/*.gcf and *.ncf files to the new Steam/steamapps folder; that got steam to see the games on re-load but they crash (I assume because the registry keys or something are effed...)

Anyone know what I'm missing or if this is even possible? I'd rather not DL all the games to the SSD just to move & symlink them; but that looks to be what I'll have to do...

thanks!

The proper way to copy an install is to move the steamapps folder to the new hard drive/install. Basically, install steam first. After you install steam, exit out, and delete EVERYTHING in the steam folder except steam.exe. Then copy the steamapps folder in. Then run steam.exe. Steam will redownload and reverify some stuff.

Keep in mind that some games will not work correctly after this (failure to launch, CTD, etc) until you verify the game cache.

The proper way to copy an install is to move the steamapps folder to the new hard drive/install. Basically, install steam first. After you install steam, exit out, and delete EVERYTHING in the steam folder except steam.exe. Then copy the steamapps folder in. Then run steam.exe. Steam will redownload and reverify some stuff.

Keep in mind that some games will not work correctly after this (failure to launch, CTD, etc) until you verify the game cache.

You don't even have to install Steam. When you run Steam.exe the first time, it Steam isn't "properly installed" it will install itself and everything.

If I'm understanding the first post correctly in that you want to run the games off the old HD, then this is all you need to do. You only need to use symlinks if you want a couple games on the SSD for quicker loading and the rest on the HDD.

As a matter of fact, I think Steam even tells you to just take the steam folder, delete everything except the "Steam.exe" and "steamapps" folder, move it to where you want it to be, and then run Steam.exe.

Back