New Soundcard or USB Headset???

NeoTek

Gawd
Need some advise on either a new soundcard or a usb headset. The reason is because I have an audigy 2 soundcard that does not have a connector for the front audio. So that is why I would purchase a new soundblaster X-Fi or a usb headset. I want to keep it relatively cheap say around $50-$70. Any suggestions? I would really appreciate the help!

P.S. I need to use the front audio for my headphones. The way my desk is setup it would be a pain in the buttocks have to manually switch between speakers and headset all the time. Thanks!

the nice thing about a USB headset is that it creates it's own audio device, so if using skype or ventrilo or something for chat, you can listen and chat over completely different hardware from that which is playing your music and or game.

If that's not an issue or priority for you (I hate most USB headsets because they are huge, expensive, and cover both ears, not something I want for voice chat while I have my game on surround sound around me), you might consider a sound card upgrade.
you can get the X-fi gamer for ~80 bucks, and the fatality one (with front panel) will be almost double that.

It would look sharp, but there's a lot you can do with that money. That's like 240 tacos.

A nice clean, CHEAP immediate solution to the "no front side headphone/ mic connectors issue, is a stereo splitter (from L/R) Out and a stereo extension cable from that and your mic connector.

It's what I do, but I have a fetish for wires.

no contest
use the x-fi- much better sound and gaming effects
u can always buy a 10$ usb souncard- most of them use a c-media chipset and hook ur heaset up to it if u really need it.

i use the x-fi and have a splitter cable like posted above

Is the x-fi that much better for games than the audigy 2? I haven't really looked at what the benefits are. Thanks!

i had an audigy2 and went to an x-fi

the 3d sound effects are more pronounced, u can now tell whats above and below u easily. newer games generally support eax5.
other than that not much difference

i was happy with my audigy2 but love my x-fi now

I've always found the sound quality of the USB solutions to be lacking. And I they used to eat a ton of cpu time, not sure if they still do or not though.

If you use the headset for gaming and all, I'd get something with a front panel connector for the better sound. I find the directionality of sounds much easier to figure out with better sound. But it really boils down to personal preference and cost and all that.

I use a USB headset and I have no complaints whatsoever. I'm using the Plantronics GameCom Pro 1. The sound quality is top-notch, and I'm very particular about sound.

Back