New small PStwo

rally9x

[H]ard|Gawd
I know theres not much discussion about consoles here but the new PStwo is super cool. I don't normally go with the whole buy for design thing but this thing is nice. My laser was going bad on mine so I traded my old ps2 in for one of the new small PStwo's and they all run perfect. All two weeks before it was supposed to come out. Hopefully I can get pictures up soon.

I plan on getting one, sold my PS2 awhile back so this is perfect. Yeah dude give us some pics. Also anything you see as a disadvantage with its smaller size?

This is perfect for the mobile installer. Now all we need is a mini X-box. :cool:

checking-out-the-pstwo-20041015062403316.jpg

checking-out-the-pstwo-20041015062407316.jpg

It can't use the hard drive. Thats about it. Well I guess knowing me I could lose it in my room ;).

advantages:

1. Smaller
2. Has built in IR port for remote (certain later ps2's had this)
3. Better Laser
4. Better support for DVD-R/DVD-RW (certain later ps2's had this)
5. Reads disks almost instantly from what I can tell so far.
6. Newer dvd software then the old stuff I had.

I will have more opinions later but I can not find the remote for my reciever so I haven't been able to set sound up (its set to analog and I use digital optical for my ps2) so without sound I haven't really played it yet.

Damn it actually looks nice. I'm not a big console gamer, did all my console gaming back in the late 80s to mid 90s. I did get a PS2 though which was the first console I bought since my 3DO. Now i kind of want the smaller one because just the other day I was cleaning stuff up around the game/TV area and didn't like the fact that my current PS2 takes up one whole shelf, that and I can't really fit any games up there with it up there. If I had this I could fit plenty of games up there as well as some other PS2 Items and they would still be visible. :D I just don't want to fork over more cash now. :p Looks very nice though.

yeah, its almost exactly the size of a dvd case or ps2 game case. I did think that the flip lid would be a draw back because I like putting my consoles under the tv or stacking them.

I just got one of these a few days ago as well, didn't even know it wasn't supposed to be out. The aesthetics of this redesign are incredible. Anyways, this is my first Playstation! I just picked up Deus Ex (wow it's so much better than the PC), and there's such a vast PS1 and PS2 library available to me now, any good ones? (ICO and Katamari Damacy are already on my short list)

Quick question: What are the USB and Firewire ports used for? ( I dont see firewire on that one but mine has it)

I think it was one of those things that sony never fully used. You could use it for usb modems if you couldn't find a network adaptor and I bet there were people that figured out or sold keyboards/mice. I'm thinking sony will release a USB/Firewire harddrive for these.

Stryder2720, is there an External Power Supply Box?
If so, can you post a picture of it?
Thanks

Firewire was used as a way to hook up several PS2s together for multiplay.

I didn't even know they were out. I'll have to check around them but the lost of the HD sort of hurts, I was going to mod the old on with a larger HD and rip some of my games to it.

Ahh didn't realize it was a flip-top deal. Still is pretty nice though. Definitely compact enough for easy storage and still eaves plenty of remaing room for ther stuff. Just the fact taht it is low profile makes it nice, youc an put games behind it if you want and still be able to see them. Pretty nice in my opinion. How much are they asking for it?

rally9x said:
I know theres not much discussion about consoles here but the new PStwo is super cool. I don't normally go with the whole buy for design thing but this thing is nice. My laser was going bad on mine so I traded my old ps2 in for one of the new small PStwo's and they all run perfect. All two weeks before it was supposed to come out. Hopefully I can get pictures up soon.
u can trade it an old ps2 for this one??? cause my old ps2 works on and off, and i want to get this one.... how much did u half to pay after u traded it in?

most places are giving 75-85 for ps2's right now.

IxGOxSOLO: It goes for the same retail as a normal ps2 which is 150.

rally9x said:
most places are giving 75-85 for ps2's right now.

IxGOxSOLO: It goes for the same retail as a normal ps2 which is 150.
do they test out your ps2?? or do they jus take it?? cause im afraid that if they test it, and it doesnt work, they wont take it

Don't know really. I'm guessing most places test. There was a problem at the store I bought mine at earlier in the day were a game was mispriced so they took mine in without testing because they were doing there best to make me happy then. It was very nice of them. Also most places will not take PS2's if the void sticker has been removed.

kevin1211 said:
do they test out your ps2?? or do they jus take it?? cause im afraid that if they test it, and it doesnt work, they wont take it
Places I know do

If I don't need the smaller footprint, there is no technical reason for me to upgrade to this from my older PS2, right? I have I think the latest "full sized" model, with the IR Receiver and all that stuff.

No not really. The smaller footprint and built in ethernet are a plus. From like the three times I used it so far it seems that when you put a disc in it doesn't look for it for as long but this just may be because its newer and long waits to see the disc for the first time is usually a sign of the laser going bad.

I wonder how existing modchips work with this new revision? I'm guessing it's an entirely new PCB.

The magic disk boot CD/DVD is supposed to work great with this unit. Open it up, tape down a switch, and you're good to go.

if this was in the $50-$90 price range, i would really consider picking one of these up, but not for $150. Gota love how small it is.

well for anyone owning a dying ps2 its really only like 70 bucks. It sucks that sony gets more money from making a crappy product though (bad lasers in ps2).

i just wish it had a hd. ive been using my "version 1" ps2 since the day they came out and will probally continue to until it breaks or somebody figures out how to get the hd on the psTwo ;) I love the new design, its pretty sweet, tho i use my ps2 hd alot :(

Back