New Slim Xbox 360 Revealed?

HardOCP News

[H] News
While reading a review for Microsoft’s new Arc mouse, sharp eyed [H] reader Ed Cabarles noticed what appears to be a much slimmer Xbox 360 in one of the pictures. What do you guys think? Could this be a revamped 360?

Looks like a point of view thing to me where the angle is making the system look smaller. Plus I don't think a console with known overheating issues would be shrinking in size and creating more problems.

So your console has a HUGE overheating issue and you fix it by making the ENTIRE THING smaller? Uh... wtf.

Looks like a point of view thing to me where the angle is making the system look smaller. Plus I don't think a console with known overheating issues would be shrinking in size and creating more problems.

Come on, this is Microsoft we're talking about here! You don't actually think they care about a little thing like "product failure rates", do you?

=P

On a serious side, who cares? The current 360 isn't exactly large by any means. Hell, I still use my original PS2, I don't have any need to that new-fangled slimline thing.

Yeah I'm with Bomber18 on this one. It appears to be an artifact of camera's PoV. However, a "slimmed down" version would have some appeal. So I'd be happy to be wrong about this... :p

Wouldn't make much sense to shrink it and make it so that their removeable hard drives no longer fit.

Just take a picture of 360 memory card in the same location as the one in the pic. That way you have a way to guestimate if the one in the picture is indeed slimmer.

Looks lie one of the ones minus the hard drive..is it an arcade version instead?

ice

I don't think it's the camera angle. There's even a wider Xbox360 next to it that debunks the camera angle theory.

Looks to me like a slimmed down version. For those saying its perspective from the camera angle, check the bezels, they are diffrent, check the tops, they are also diffrent.... this is a whole nother unit.

Perhaps they solved the heat issues and are shrinking the size or perhaps it's just one of those Japanese kits you can buy to shrink it or make it look that way when it's really something else.

I don't know I think my xbox is more of the size of the one to the left not the right. The Right one does seem thicker maybe too think. What does a 360 Dev unit look like?

Also What are the dimentions of the memory card? The shot has a nice memory card laying on the left one so we can sort of compare sizes by cloning them (its on an angle so its not exact) but we can "eye" the sizes based on that.

With the angle of the camera the dresser drawers are cutting off some of the view to the whole unit.

I don't know I think my xbox is more of the size of the one to the left not the right. The Right one does seem thicker maybe too think. What does a 360 Dev unit look like?

Pretty standard. It doesn't really look any different- it just has a different DVD drive and all the ones I used at EA had 120GB HDD's and additional cooling units (and the things still had issues despite the extra cooling...).

If they did a die shrink on the chips (lower power) added a layer to the mainboard (stiffer) and re-engineered the heat pipes, then smaller doesn't mean hotter.

Will these come out before or after Christmas? My guess is well after. Price cuts don't make much sense if you're still paying for a hardware rev.

Will these come out before or after Christmas?

The 360 codenamed Jasper has the die shrinked GPU (65nm) and should resolve the heating issue that caused the majority of the RROD failures. Its already meant to be in production and consoles with them chips should be appearing in retail shops either now or in the next few weeks.......either way it will definetely be out before christmas.

There was also some information about a week ago, about 3 new 360 codenames including
"Xbox Lean" "Xbox Granite" and "Xbox Pure" so i would expect to see a smaller/slimmer console released sometime in the future. The CPU heatsink and the DVD drive are the only things stopping it on the current design, so reducing the heatsinks or making them more efficient and putting in a slim DVD drive would make knock of an inch maybe.

it's an optical illusion...the angle of the desk over it is intersecting in a way to make it look slimmer.

if you hold a ruler or flat edge up to the "larger" xbox, then measure the same distance following the left curve back on the "thinner" xbox, you will see they are identical in size.

Quoting because everybody below the post by The Donut seems to have missed it.

Yeah I saw that too. Apparently it is the camera angle, but the angle didn't effect the size perspective of the Xbox, but rather caused the file cabinet to hide parts of the left one.

With the angle of the camera the dresser drawers are cutting off some of the view to the whole unit.

This is exactly what's happening. It's an optical illusion of sorts by the specific angle the picture was taken. Take a look at the drawers and you'll see that it overlaps the XBox to the left... but at that specific angle, it doesn't really look like that's happening. Two tilted angles within one shot. Where it starts to overlap the Xbox from in front due to the angle makes it appear to be slimmer.

If they did a die shrink on the chips (lower power) added a layer to the mainboard (stiffer) and re-engineered the heat pipes, then smaller doesn't mean hotter.

Ofc they might finally get those 65nm variants out (of course, they were supposed to LAUNCH with those but whatever...), but the fact of the matter is that the present design is so hot that moving to 65nm may alleviate the current 360's problems, but if they start to slim it down and reduce airflow...

The box thats supposed to be slimmer just doesn't have the removable HDD on it, which makes it look like its upside to down with a reversed DVD drive and alot of replacement of the front panel. Its the same box everyone else has.

alot of xbox haters in the thread :D , anyway let's just assume M$ fixed it already and get back to the topic, as explained on the link, its only an illusion

(im one of the lucking one those with still surviving units from the lunch, though I have a falcon unit already :) )

Some guy just had it with RROD, and "runned ova" his XBox; making it slimmer.;)
Now it's used as a paperweight.

alot of xbox haters in the thread :D , anyway let's just assume M$ fixed it already and get back to the topic, as explained on the link, its only an illusion

(im one of the lucking one those with still surviving units from the lunch, though I have a falcon unit already :) )

Wow................your XBox survived lunch!!!! What did you feed it???
(I'm not so lucky......sent back three times for RROD.)

If that is a slimmed down version, it looks like its slimmed down less than 10% (and essentially, a useless reduction). It's gotta be the camera's POV

Smaller means they modified some of the components...which could blow the heating problem away if done right.

Quite frankly, my slimline PS2 is so small, it makes these new consoles look like bloated pieces of crap.

Whatever is in the picture, im waiting for the slimline version.

yet another reason why you should never machine-dry your 360 after washing. :p

i don't generally keep up w/ xbox rumor-mill, but isn't this die-shrink supposed to be getting the new 540 model-number? have they released any details on the specs or time-frame for that, or are they just sticking w/ 360 for the new releases?

Camera angle certainly had everyone fooled into thinking there was possibly a slimmer XBox 360, me included.

It would be cool if MS fixed the heat issue that a lot of people are experiencing. A friend has had to return his XBox 360 twice because of RROD. Forced him into buying a cooling apparatus for it. I mentioned water cooling to him and he is thinking of getting the Lian Li case to transfer the XBox 360 to once the warranty runs out.

It would be cool if MS fixed the heat issue that a lot of people are experiencing. A friend has had to return his XBox 360 twice because of RROD. Forced him into buying a cooling apparatus for it. I mentioned water cooling to him and he is thinking of getting the Lian Li case to transfer the XBox 360 to once the warranty runs out.

So he's going to spend like as much on a working 360 as a superior PC...?

Come on, this is Microsoft we're talking about here! You don't actually think they care about a little thing like "product failure rates", do you?

=P

On a serious side, who cares? The current 360 isn't exactly large by any means. Hell, I still use my original PS2, I don't have any need to that new-fangled slimline thing.

Yah, you would never see them extending the warrenty on them to try to make up for a problem with the console. Oh, wait, never mind.

I'm afraid to look at that mouse too hard in fear of it breaking in two...

Back