New Skylake-X, Kaby Lake-X and Coffee Lake-S Info (BenchLife)

-Sweeper_

Limp Gawd
With the X299 chipset motherboard, Intel plans to release Skylake-X and Kaby Lake-X in August

x299.jpg

- Intel will not announce new chips at Computex 2016
- Motherboard manufacturers will showcase some of the new X299 motherboards (Computex 2016)
- The Basin Falls platform, including LGA 2066 and the new HEDT CPUs Skylake-X & Kaby Lake-X will be available in August - official launch at Gamescom between August 22-26
- Four models initially: 140W TDP 6C, 8C and 10C (Skylake-X) + 112W TDP 4C (Kaby Lake-X)
- Skylake-X and Kaby Lake-X cache structure has been adjusted to make it more balanced and improve performance
- These are K processors, not X - does this mean there's a faster model coming later?
- Memory support: Up to 4-channel DDR4-2667, Intel Optane Technology support
- Skylake-X and Kaby Lake-X will be part of the Core i7-7000 family
- 6C Coffee Lake-S will be announced Q1-2018
- Coffee Lake-S will have 35W, 65 and 95W products

https://benchlife.info/intel-will-not-announce-skylake-x-kaby-lake-x-with-x299-in-computex-01222017

Really looking forward to see the impact of 256KB vs 1MB L2 caches from a performance point. If there is any noticeable change or its just for AVX512.

Coffee Lake for Q1 2018 looks good, Icelake should still be on track then :)

For desktop machines is PCIe 3 really much of a bottleneck?

No. Its not a bottleneck in servers either yet. PCIe 3.0 was released in ~Q2 2010.

If backwards compatibility wasn't an issue. We would maybe only have x8 on the desktop/laptop.

I hope the 8 core chip will priced similar to the 6800k, but I doubt it will happen.

For desktop machines is PCIe 3 really much of a bottleneck?
I would think 8x 3.0 pcie would be a bottleneck next high end generation of cards if you double them up. 16x pcie 3.0 should be good for 3-5 years more. So only a potential issue if you use more then one graphics card and very high end if less then 16x pcie 3.

HEDT platform tends to have 28-44 lanes.

not kaby X supposedly

my point is yes there are plenty of cases where 16X is not enough and even 40x

my server will actually run out of lanes when i am done with it

his question sounded more so for 3.0 16x vs 40x

I only care about single thread since 99% of eerything is single and HEDT blows for that

Samsung 960PRO m.2, 1gb ethernet, and a single GPU are what the next system I build up will be using. Sounds like I'll be golden then with PCIe 3.

if you want 1 GPU, 10Gb E NIC, HBA, and M.2 yes....it very much is

forget 2 GPUs lol

all depends how competitive Zen is.
That sounds like more of an issue with the number of lanes you get, not the bandwidth available to any particular component. I'm counting something like 32 lanes there. Xeons and the Haswell-E and Broadwell-E i7s support up to 40 lanes (or 44?), and frankly, if you're doing something that justifies the use of an HBA, a 10Gb NIC, and a fast GPU, you'd probably want a big burly Xeon anyway.

I know I have a system where I have a graphics card, two raid controllers and a wifi card, and I have to run one of the raid controllers as an X1 instead of X4 in order to support the Wifi card. The hit to performance on that one controller is measurable, but thankfully isn't really a deal breaker in that system's use case. If I had it to do again, though, I'd go with an HEDT or server platform that offers more PCI-E lanes.

Alright, can't wait to get a 10 core / 20 thread 7950x, overclock it to 5.0 GHz to push minesweeper to over 9000 fps with my Titan XP SLI.

That sounds like more of an issue with the number of lanes you get, not the bandwidth available to any particular component. I'm counting something like 32 lanes there. Xeons and the Haswell-E and Broadwell-E i7s support up to 40 lanes (or 44?), and frankly, if you're doing something that justifies the use of an HBA, a 10Gb NIC, and a fast GPU, you'd probably want a big burly Xeon anyway.

I know I have a system where I have a graphics card, two raid controllers and a wifi card, and I have to run one of the raid controllers as an X1 instead of X4 in order to support the Wifi card. The hit to performance on that one controller is measurable, but thankfully isn't really a deal breaker in that system's use case. If I had it to do again, though, I'd go with an HEDT or server platform that offers more PCI-E lanes.
more BW means less lanes needed....Duh....

and no i dont want a large CPU because their single thread sucks a fat < [] < |<

Nearly every program is single thread or sigle thread limited. So i stick with 4 core. If i had the money I might have considered Skylake X due to 14nm+ if it clocks like Kaby. A 5 GHz phase change 8 core might get me over a 5.5GHz quad. But still 10% more single is tough to loose.

Many things could be multi threaded but programmers and companies are lazy and make it single thread.

Hell my OCR software is single thread....like seriously...you cant OCR all 100 pages at once? It doe 1 page at a time and not 8 pages at a time....Gawd...garbage

Last edited:
Any speculation in regards to clock speeds, especially for the 10 core version?

This is good because LGA 2011-3 price will go down big time and there is much more performance to squeeze out of it. I think 2066 socket was not necessary, it is just another Intel bullshit.

Back