New Silverstone FT02

Sigh. gpu coolers today do not cool correct in the ft02.
Two 980 ti died in the case.
I only put the 4080 in to see if it would fit.
I put an older blower card back in.
my ft02 just sits and collects dust now.
Same case for me. I have to buy a new Lancool 216 to fit the 4090. Really wish I could use the old FT02.

If you have GPU cooling issues in the FT02's vertical layout, try mounting the card upside down so the IO face downward...
This works for the O11 Dynamic EVO with the Upright GPU mounting kit.
Will need a riser cable.

I have actually ordered an O11 Dynamic EVO Upright GPU kit, that was on sale here for cheap.
mainly for the 380mm riser cable to test this out, as I was planning on buying an O11D Evo, but will wait for the O11 Evo XL.
I don't think the mounting bracket will fit in my FT02 with my 323mm long MSI RTX 3070 Trio, but I still want to test it out
You can buy the mounting bracket by itself for not much money.
And Lian Li's AliExpress shop sells the RTX 4000 series updated bracket for the thicker cards for only a few dollars

My MSI RTX 3070 trio is currently working fine in my FT02
I had to remove the bottom middle 180mm AP183 fan.

Adding in an old Scythe S-Flex and Slip-Stream 120mm fans on each side of the GPU, one angled at 45 degrees, and the other on the CPU side, at a less extreme angle to replace the removed 180mm.
Seems to work well though, still very quiet, 2x120mm fans seem to be quieter than the AP183 they replaced, and GPU tops out at 46c delta under full load.
Same as the Raven RV02 on the Gamer's Nexus charts, but fans only run at 50% speed here, no more than 800-900RPM, and I capped the GPU fans at 40% speed, 1300+RPM
5950x with mild PBO boost sits at 55c degrees delta in AIDA64 stress test, with PA120 heatsink, fans running at quiet 800rpm as well
So better than the Gamer's Nexus numbers, which are at full fan speed.

How it looks now, with the angled 120mm Scythe S-Flex bottom and Slip-Stream 120mm GPU intake fans in place of the removed 180mm AP183
Resting on top of the air filter. Surprisingly no vibration or resonance issues

Last edited:
Reactions: Folly
like this
I received my Lian Li O11 Evo Upright GPU Kit, and used the riser cable on my MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X trio

Did a test on my FT02, using a riser cable and have my RTX 3070 sitting outside, without any fans blowing on it.
There was no difference between it sitting horizontally as per normal, or vertically as in the FT02, around 59-60c degrees in Furmark.
Whisper quiet with fans at 30% speed.
But once I mounted it into the case, with side open, it went up 3 degrees to 62c, from the heat trapping against the motherboard side, even with case fan airflow.
And once I closed the case up, the temps went up to 65-66c degrees

So the goal of a case IMO is to cool both the CPU and GPU as close to open air as possible, if not better.
So my FT02 does OK in the CPU, cooling my 5950x just fine with a Thermalright PA120, at 850rpm with Silent Wings 4/T30 rear fans at near inaudible levels from 1m
46 degrees above ambient in Cinebench 20 with stock settings, or +56 degrees with PBO on and max settings.

But not so good on the GPU.
Although this GPU does not use a vapor chamber so works fine sitting upright like it does in the FT02.
I believe the PNY RTX 4070, 4070TI, 4080 also do not use a vapor chamber based on the Techpowerup reviews.
Just basic heatpipe to fins.
But most of the other high end cards do, so will have cooling issues mounted like this. All the Asus Strix cards have this issue.

The short compact size of the Asus RTX 4070 Dual would allow me to mount my middle fan back into my FT02, but I kinda don't want to :)

Last edited:
I replaced my MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X trio with a MSI RTX 4070 ti Gaming X Trio - not by choice, I actually wanted the PNY RTX 4070 ti XL8R model,
but it doesn't come with the Diablo 4 bundle, and with the Ebay Plus 22% off voucher code, along with some cash back offers, and the price was slashed down to a nice $1175 AUD plus the Diablo 4 bundle.

It just barely fits in the FT02 case, without the bottom fan. It's 337mm long and 3 slots wide, allowing me to keep my M.2 drive PCIE adapter
I estimate 345mm is the max GPU length in the FT02, without the bottom fan.
The two Phanteks T30 fans on either side still keep the GPU, chipset and M.2 drives cool and move air in the case just as well as the middle 180mm fan
Probably a touch better due to the angles used

The MSI RTX 4070 ti Gaming X Trio doesn't use a vapor chamber and just like the RTX 3070, so it has no issue with the upright position used in the FT02

With a 18.5c degree ambient
The RTX 4070 TI runs so much cooler - I stress tested it in Furmark for 15mins, and it never got higher than 61c degrees, with the fans running at 30% speed, 1000rpm, inaudible from 1m away :eek:
The RTX 3070 would hit 65 degrees, undervolted, with a 85% power limit and fans at 35% speed, 1200+ RPM

replacing the dual PCIe 8 pin cables with a single Corsair sleeved 12VHPWR cable really cleans up the cabling as well

FT02 _ RTX 4070TI.jpg

Last edited:
CoolColJ Looking at that fin structure, it's the common vertical heatpipe style. Are you sure cooling performance isnt degraded at all?

Im looking at upgrading to a Palit 4070TI jetstream and its the same style. At 320mm though, id have to take off the middle fan just to fit it.

CoolColJ Looking at that fin structure, it's the common vertical heatpipe style. Are you sure cooling performance isnt degraded at all?

Im looking at upgrading to a Palit 4070TI jetstream and its the same style. At 320mm though, id have to take off the middle fan just to fit it.

Yes I tested the video card outside of the case via a long riser cable
There was no difference between it sitting horizontally as per normal, or vertically as in the FT02

I also cap the temps, and power limit with Afterburner, so I can keep the fan speed slow and whisper quiet, with minimal performance drop.

AFAIK only the high end cards with vapor chambers degrade from the vertical position

So i took the plunge and can confirm that my fears were right - the Nitro 7800xt performs terribly vertically in the FT02. Flip it horizontally and the Hotspot drops about 20 degree's. At least learn from my mistake

Just because he card doesnt have a vapor chamber - doesnt mean is gonna work in at FT02. The vertical heatpipes will never work properly against gravity, especially with longer cards.

Now i have to either return it or get a new case somehow.

So i took the plunge and can confirm that my fears were right - the Nitro 7800xt performs terribly vertically in the FT02. Flip it horizontally and the Hotspot drops about 20 degree's. At least learn from my mistake

Just because he card doesnt have a vapor chamber - doesnt mean is gonna work in at FT02. The vertical heatpipes will never work properly against gravity, especially with longer cards.

Now i have to either return it or get a new case somehow.

Well I thought you were enquiring with respect to another similar Nvidia card. What happens with Nvidia cards doesn't necessarily apply to AMD cards

What are the best lowest profile 180mm fans i can slot into my FT02?

I had to remove the middle fan otherwise it wouldn't fit - seems my last option is to get a fan in there and get some airflow between the GPU and CPU cooler.

Taking off the backplate absolutely helped (but only when the case if lying down) - when its up, there isn't much of a difference.

Last edited:
What are the best lowest profile 180mm fans i can slot into my FT02?

I had to remove the middle fan otherwise it wouldn't fit - seems my last option is to get a fan in there and get some airflow between the GPU and CPU cooler.

Taking off the backplate absolutely helped (but only when the case if lying down) - when its up, there isn't much of a difference.

Do what I did, see my pic :)

Without those fans the difference in temps on the card, SSD, motherboard, and chipset is massive
Better airflow than a single slim 180mm if there is even one that fits.

I only know of slim 140mm

Recently updated gpus, went from an EVGA rtx 2060 KO to an XFX RX 6600, absolutely loving it- sips power, the fans in the power supply don't even spin up during gaming. The cooler fins on the GPU run lengthwise so I believe the 180mm fan is blowing straight through the GPU cooler, temps are fantastic and the whole system is whisper quiet. The CPU is a ryzen 3700x with a bequiet dark rock 4.

IMG_20231129_102429589~2.jpg
IMG_20231129_103106408.jpg

Does anyone know if the Corsair RM850x has long enough peripheral cables for the FT02?

Im trying to upgrade my old (13 yr old) silverstone PSU.

Does anyone know if the Corsair RM850x has long enough peripheral cables for the FT02?

Honestly, it’s not that hard for you to figure that out on your own. All you have to do literally is call the company since they’re based here in the United States and go to technical support department and ask him how long the RM 850 X, and how long the cables are in inches. I don’t think anybody is really going to know that information here that’s something you’re going to have to find out on your own. especially since this particular forum that’s been set up for the FT02 is not reaching an overwhelming amount of people much less people that would know the specifics of what you’re asking for. Again if you follow my direction, Corsair tech-support department will help you out with that. Here, I just googled Corsair’s contact info and here’s the web link. Enjoy. Hope this info helps. By the way you’re welcome.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/s/contact

Honestly, it’s not that hard for you to figure that out on your own. All you have to do literally is call the company since they’re based here in the United States and go to technical support department and ask him how long the RM 850 X, and how long the cables are in inches. I don’t think anybody is really going to know that information here that’s something you’re going to have to find out on your own. especially since this particular forum that’s been set up for the FT02 is not reaching an overwhelming amount of people much less people that would know the specifics of what you’re asking for. Again if you follow my direction, Corsair tech-support department will help you out with that. Here, I just googled Corsair’s contact info and here’s the web link. Enjoy. Hope this info helps. By the way you’re welcome.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/s/contact
I disagree. He is posting in the right place. It only takes one person with the same case and PSU to comfirm. The tone of your reply is not appreciated.

RM850x cable lengths can be found in the manual Here on page 5.

If you are using your current Silverstone PSU in the case you could maybe find a similar manual and compare lengths. If you post the Silverstone model you have maybe the folks here who are trying to be "helpful" can help you track down the cable length.

I disagree. He is posting in the right place. It only takes one person with the same case and PSU to comfirm. The tone of your reply is not appreciated.
Well, you may have missed my point and perspective that I was trying to provide. In fact I did supply useful info for him to go after. Also, for someone like yourself that has contributed over 3,500 messages here on this HardForum, Sharing texting or messaging can be misunderstood as opposed to talking audibly (with the attenuation of what and how something is being shared on the phone to someone with using the same words). In any case, my apologies for my tone. Anyway, I'm sure he'll find out the lengths of those cables soon. In fact it looks like Fritzz supplied the manual that gives the specific measurements of the cables. That was even better than calling Corsair to get that info. At least b0uncyfr0 has the answer now to his question.

Last edited:
Ironically, I started the thread but never bought the case. My FT01 has been so good to me since 2009 I never made the change!

I just recently updated my PC case with ANOTHER FT02 case that I purchased from someone about 8 years ago. For some reason that previous owner decided to have a 120mm hole drilled on the front of the case to create more airflow. From the looks of it, he never used and got this at a great price (I think I paid $125 or 150 for it). I never said anything about ported hole and just bought it and stored it for those 8 years. I finally put it together, with some custom modding. It's a clean, completely custom water cooled setup. I've always loved this case and I'm still surprised at how cool it keeps my system. In the meantime, I provided a pic to show what it currently looks like inside. I'll be posting all the details later, when the rest of the UV lighting comes in a few days from now and how I had to mod the case to fit everything properly. I hope you all will like the results.
PunkNugget Supreme.jpg

I just recently updated my PC case with ANOTHER FT02 case that I purchased from someone about 8 years ago. For some reason that previous owner decided to have a 120mm hole drilled on the front of the case to create more airflow. From the looks of it, he never used and got this at a great price (I think I paid $125 or 150 for it). I never said anything about ported hole and just bought it and stored it for those 8 years. I finally put it together, with some custom modding. It's a clean, completely custom water cooled setup. I've always loved this case and I'm still surprised at how cool it keeps my system. In the meantime, I provided a pic to show what it currently looks like inside. I'll be posting all the details later, when the rest of the UV lighting comes in a few days from now and how I had to mod the case to fit everything properly. I hope you all will like the results.View attachment 628493
Epic build! You are forgiven. 😂

I may do another build for my office upstairs. I was thinking maybe Fractal because this case doesn’t like 4090 (or 5090?) founders editions with the inverted board.

What else should I consider?

I've got a Raven 02 that I've been modifying generation after generation.
Currently running a 5600x with a Thermal Right Silver Arrow & MSI Liquid Suprim RTX 4090.

I built a bracket to hold the AIO cooler by suspend from the cases rotated PCI slots and the front 3.5mm drive bay.

Had to replace the 180mm fans a few months back.

I've always wanted the FT02 due to the metal design.

PXL_20240112_010350649.jpg

I may do another build for my office upstairs. I was thinking maybe Fractal because this case doesn’t like 4090 (or 5090?) founders editions with the inverted board.

I just checked the 4090 length and I found 13.4" and the AMD 6900 XT (the card that I'm currently using), is 10.5" As you can see in the pic with how the water cooling tube even fit under the GPU. What you may have to do is take out the center 180mm fan and bracket that holds the fan and filter to fit the 4090 card in there. In the meantime, please check out my original build to get an idea of what I did to custom make my FT02 and what it currently looks like now (with my newer build).

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/287857-new-macmod-2013-build-lemon-lime-twist/

Also, if you do go through that route of removing that center fan and filter bracket and are concerned on how the GPU will stay cool without that center 180mm not being there anymore, you may desire to consider water blocking that 4090 GPU and then use two separate 180mm radiators. One on left 180mm fan and one on the right side of the other 180mm fan and loop it through BOTH 180mm x 180mm rads. That (to me), would be a very unique PC build that would look really nice. Just a thought. Hope what I shared makes sense. If you need help with that I'd be more than happy to help. Let me know.

Last edited:

Torrent is pretty capable. I have a 150mm Watercool pump/res combo that will locate the bottom end of the pump above the video card, with front 45mm thicc rad the Torrent will fit 14in+. I also have an FT02 in for sale/trade.

Attachments

• preliminary2.jpg
    preliminary2.jpg
    665.6 KB · Views: 0
I just recently updated my PC case with ANOTHER FT02 case that I purchased from someone about 8 years ago. For some reason that previous owner decided to have a 120mm hole drilled on the front of the case to create more airflow. From the looks of it, he never used and got this at a great price (I think I paid $125 or 150 for it). I never said anything about ported hole and just bought it and stored it for those 8 years. I finally put it together, with some custom modding. It's a clean, completely custom water cooled setup. I've always loved this case and I'm still surprised at how cool it keeps my system. In the meantime, I provided a pic to show what it currently looks like inside. I'll be posting all the details later, when the rest of the UV lighting comes in a few days from now and how I had to mod the case to fit everything properly. I hope you all will like the results.View attachment 628493
Right but isn’t the issue that the card doesn’t like that vertical configuration?

Right but isn’t the issue that the card doesn’t like that vertical configuration?
Is there anything online that you found out that would affect the 4090 and a vertical configuration? I tried to Google some information here but I’m not seeing anything that shows something specific about this issue that you’re talking about. Again I’d be curious to see something talking about that. If anything, I would think it would be better for the card to sit vertically instead of horizontally because it’s such a heavy card that you would need to buy a case that would have a bracket that would support it on the end, because it is so heavy. Obviously, setting it vertically you would not need that and that was the whole purpose of the reason why Silverstonetek went through route inverting the motherboard position for several of their PC cases, so the graphics cards would sit easier (for weight displacement correction), and for better vertical airflow. Again, let me know what you can if I am incorrect on this for this particular card.

Is there anything online that you found out that would affect the 4090 and a vertical configuration? I tried to Google some information here but I’m not seeing anything that shows something specific about this issue that you’re talking about. Again I’d be curious to see something talking about that. If anything, I would think it would be better for the card to sit vertically instead of horizontally because it’s such a heavy card that you would need to buy a case that would have a bracket that would support it on the end, because it is so heavy. Obviously, setting it vertically you would not need that and that was the whole purpose of the reason why Silverstonetek went through route inverting the motherboard position for several of their PC cases, so the graphics cards would sit easier (for weight displacement correction), and for better vertical airflow. Again, let me know what you can if I am incorrect on this for this particular card.
I seem to recall founders edition vapour chamber coolers don’t like being vertical but I don’t have the source at the moment.

I seem to recall founders edition vapour chamber coolers don’t like being vertical but I don’t have the source at the moment.
I wonder if this was an issue with 1080ti and it was resolved since then. I know it was a real problem at some point.

I miss the FT-02, Lian Li PC2000, and all the other giant ridiculous cases...

Makes me wish I could swing for the Streacom SG10, it has a similar feel somehow.

Yeah, I’ve never heard of any graphics card (especially when you’re using the stock fan blowers), where the position of the card makes a difference. But if it does it does. That’s why I (as a standard), I water block all my cards. To me, it keeps everything cooler and it looks better displayed that way when it’s done right. But I understand if that’s not the route you’re going to go and would just desire to keep the GPU with the stock fan blowers on there. By the way, it looks like I was able to find that article on Reddit. Here’s the link.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/zv60jq/vertical_mount_affect_on_vapor_chamber/

Funny thing is, I usually take things like this is a challenge to always find a way to work around it and that’s the reason why I would prefer just a water block it and create a custom fit that would make it work for my FT02 case. But again that’s me. I completely understand that that may be more of a challenge for some people that may not desire to do that. And that’s cool as well.

Last edited:
You haven´t heard of any graphics cards with those issues?

How about Nvidias own first gen RTX cards?
The disclaimer was on their own page.
I cancelled my 2080ti order since that disclaimer was put there 48 hours after Jensen presented the card and preorders opened accidenteally already during his speech.

By the way: Which words do you use during your search?

Because your inquiry has been answered already in this very forum, like in 2021:

https://hardforum.com/threads/new-silverstone-alta-f1.2001003/page-7#post-1045196865

You haven´t heard of any graphics cards with those issues?

How about Nvidias own first gen RTX cards?
The disclaimer was on their own page.
I cancelled my 2080ti order since that disclaimer was put there 48 hours after Jensen presented the card and preorders opened accidenteally already during his speech.

By the way: Which words do you use during your search?

Because your inquiry has been answered already in this very forum, like in 2021:

https://hardforum.com/threads/new-silverstone-alta-f1.2001003/page-7#post-1045196865
Does it still apply to 4090 or did they fix it?

Again, I've never had this issue with GPU's. Since the beginning of when I built my FIRST PC/Hackintosh, I started with building a water cooled system and never looked back. Here is my first build (oddly enough it was the FT02):

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/t...-ga-x58a-ud7-w-usb-30/page/5/#comment-1506953

Here is my second build that I put together back in 2012 (another great PC Case from Silverstonetek that is the larger version of the FT02; the TJ11):

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/277433-punknuggets-mod-the-hackinbeast/

Then I went ALL OUT and built this one:

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/t...5-2697v2-cpus-geekbench-59104-fastest-system/

That system lasted about 5 years, but then the logic board (on the top part of the case where the power button was), stopped working right and affected me being able to start my system. So, I went right back to the drawing board and used the very same case that used in my first build... the FT02. Which I'll be posting soon here. I'm very grateful for all the help I received by so many people with my Hackintosh builds. I'm successfully using macOS Sonoma v14.3 with a triple monitor setup. Very grateful to have this setup.

Last edited:
Sadly I've reached end of the line with FT02 as modern graphic cards esp AIB designed are too just to large to fit. After getting a 3080 without realizing this would be an issue as FT02 has handled everything I've thrown into it for past 10 years, the clearance against the middle 180mm fan.
After much research I believe I've found a worthy successor with Phanteks Evolv X, I will miss the 5.25" bays and the ecosystem it facilitates but aesthetically and functionally I'm pleased with new build
1000011205.jpg

The FT02 isn't going away, it's retirement from frontline duties will allow me to build my other favorite HEDT platform back in as a retro-build, X58 based with Xeon X5670, matching the era of both the case and the chassis

The FT02 is one of my all time favorite cases and I wish I had kept mine. It's a shame about them not playing nice with modern videocards though. The build quality was so nice, it was very quiet, and the performance was excellent.

The FT02 is one of my all time favorite cases and I wish I had kept mine. It's a shame about them not playing nice with modern videocards though. The build quality was so nice, it was very quiet, and the performance was excellent.
Same, at same time Evolv X impressed me exceeding expectations. Much quieter than FT02 with many small details executed better IMO. Been a Phanteks fan ever since owning the ph-tc14 cooler

Hey everyone,
Sadly I've reached end of the line with FT02 as modern graphic cards esp AIB designed are too just to large to fit. After getting a 3080 without realizing this would be an issue as FT02 has handled everything I've thrown into it for past 10 years, the clearance against the middle 180mm fan.
After much research I believe I've found a worthy successor with Phanteks Evolv X, I will miss the 5.25" bays and the ecosystem it facilitates but aesthetically and functionally I'm pleased with new build
View attachment 631674

The FT02 isn't going away, it's retirement from frontline duties will allow me to build my other favorite HEDT platform back in as a retro-build, X58 based with Xeon X5670, matching the era of both the case and the chassis
Hi CS, I just was going to let you know that (with a little bit of modding and a 25mm thick 540 rad), you can fit up to max length of 13.25". Now I know it's not 13.7" that you need with the 4090 cards. BUT, if you guys decided to water block your 4090 cards, it would be waaaaay shorter than even the current AMD Radeon 6900XT card I have on my system (which is 10.5" / 267mm). I mean look at the 4090 Founder Edition with the EKWB on there (pic included below). That thing can't be more than 8" inches in total length. I can't believe that had to use that MASSIVE fan block on there to keep that thing cool. Knowing this now, eliminates TWO major issues... FIRST; the length issue. SECOND; the gravity liquid cooling issue (if the 4090 w/fan cooler was vertically placed in the FT02 case). I was actually SHOCKED at how short the 4090 GPU is when you take off the fan block. I would totally use the 4090, but NVIDIA hasn't been macOS compatible for about 5 years now. So AMD is the only choice. In fact, even the newer AMD Radeon 7900XT isn't compatible with macOS; only the 6900XT.

So, if you're looking to stay with the FT02 case, then it is TOTALLY doable. Just water cool your entire system. It's not that hard. Actually (with some YouTube vid instruction), you 'd be able to do what I did and then some. Just sayin'...

By the way CS, I like the new case! Hope you like mine. Later...

Attachments

• 2024-02-22_16-22-59.jpg
    2024-02-22_16-22-59.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Well, here it is... The ALL NEW - ULTRA HAXIMUM! As I mentioned some weeks ago, I had purchased this case about 7 years ago and the person who purchased it from, had a 120mm hole ported in the front of the system (because he desired better airflow). Obviously, he was wrong for doing this and I was trying to figure out a way to cover up his mistake. I took my PunkNugget Hackintosh design from my older case and re-purposed it on the front of the case. I actually love it and was glad it was put to use with an RGB LED light strip that I put around the logo. In any case (get it? - "case"), it's finally finished. If anyone looking for any help modding your case, please reply to this post and I'll do a video to show you what I did to properly gut the system to fit this MONSTER 540mm x 180mm rad on the BOTTOM part of the case and putting the Silverstone 184i ARGB fans on TOP of the rad to give it a cleaner look. Here's the link so you can at least see pics on how I took this case apart, modded it and reassembled it.

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/287857-new-macmod-2013-build-lemon-lime-twist/

All the specs of this PC are in my signature. So far (that I know of), I have one of the fastest Hackintosh systems out there... at least for now as of 02-22-24. If you like system, please let me know by giving it a "like." Thanks!

Ultra Haximum 1.jpg

Ultra Haximum 2.jpg

Ultra Haximum 3.jpg

Ultra Haximum 4.jpg

Reactions: Nobu
like this
Back