New Silverstone FT02

Tony Ou : There's something on Silverstone page that doesn't add:

FS305-12G is listed as "recommended" for both FT02 and TJ11:
https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=885&area=en#undefined2
https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=242&area=en#fgo-spec|undefined2
https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?area=en&pid=292#fgo-spec|undefined2

Buy as you can see there:
https://dasreich.myqnapcloud.com/kfz222wp/archives/2248
It will not fit (or maybe you've correc cuts on FS305 now and still got outdated photos?
But if it's the case, then it would be still risky to buy from Amazon, because you never know which version will arrive)
I know there are other variations of this bays, but this one uses space most optimally, so I would prefer this version.

It would be nice to get clarification on this.

cheers and sorry for molesting you so much ;-)

Tony Ou : There's something on Silverstone page that doesn't add:

FS305-12G is listed as "recommended" for both FT02 and TJ11:
https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=885&area=en#undefined2
https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=242&area=en#fgo-spec|undefined2
https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?area=en&pid=292#fgo-spec|undefined2

Buy as you can see there:
https://dasreich.myqnapcloud.com/kfz222wp/archives/2248
It will not fit (or maybe you've correc cuts on FS305 now and still got outdated photos?
But if it's the case, then it would be still risky to buy from Amazon, because you never know which version will arrive)
I know there are other variations of this bays, but this one uses space most optimally, so I would prefer this version.

It would be nice to get clarification on this.

cheers and sorry for molesting you so much ;-)
Thanks for bringing this to my attention! FT02 was incorrectly listed as recommended for FS305, so it will be removed. The TJ11 does fit the FS305 though.

[*] [*] [*] RIP [*] [*] [*]

DSC09166 - upload.JPG
DSC09172 - upload.jpg

After fully assembling everything and powering up in FT02 all PCI-E ports stopped working (including PCIE 1x, so it's strange and guess it's motherboard, not socket pins).
I've tested two CPUs with same result. In the past PCIE ports worked (I had only problems with one RAM channel, but fixed it by bending and transplanting CPU pins from other socket).
I hope any of those devices haven't shorted any other(must test them).

The photos of socket are after fixing pins in the past. Now there's one more missing pin(ripped apart after PCIE stopped working, so it's not the cause). And one additional(transplanted) allowing all RAM slots to work.
I've been given this board by free (because socket pins were in such bad state, that it even wouldn't boot), but still miss it anyway(it was planned to be also home NAS with metadata and caching on Optane RAID, and now project is suspended)-:

Attachments

• IMG_1156.JPG
    IMG_1156.JPG
    706.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1187.JPG
    IMG_1187.JPG
    421 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: Folly
like this
so has anyone managed to squeeze in a video card with a hybrid cooler while having a decent sized cpu heatsink? I've seen here setups where there's water cooling and they feed both the cpu, and gpu from the same unit, but I don't think ive seen hybrid cooled graphics cards. Where would you stick the tripple fans with the hose?
Something like this. https://www.kitguru.net/components/...hire-toxic-rx-6900-xt-limited-edition-review/

so has anyone managed to squeeze in a video card with a hybrid cooler while having a decent sized cpu heatsink? I've seen here setups where there's water cooling and they feed both the cpu, and gpu from the same unit, but I don't think ive seen hybrid cooled graphics cards. Where would you stick the tripple fans with the hose?
Something like this. https://www.kitguru.net/components/...hire-toxic-rx-6900-xt-limited-edition-review/

Well on top of course !

That lid is perfect to mount stuff to and make it a double decker

Made the day CES 2021 ended:
IMG_20200724_234639.jpg

IMG_20200724_211617.jpg

IMG_20200721_103009.jpg

20211211_213452.jpg

IMG_20210504_210512.jpg

Since i've also asked myself that question, just a few more years than you, i did not stop asking for a 360 gpu mount 😎

Why not put the cpu under water and make space for a 80mm double air tower cooler backplate (including a tec mount for future endavours)?

20220416_001414.jpg

Simply because i like to work silently during workdays and still be able to set records on the weekend

total damage for prototyping .. let's call him spike, was around 650 bucks for the case, 230 for the aio.

Sacrificial honorary mentions: 2x brave Lian Li cases and the innards of a mini fridge.

Call outs: Any ball bearing AP fan (182,183 AND 184i pro) is craptasticly louder than an AP181 combinded with an Asus board in idle. The 184i pros i am going to take to the shooting range for practise since the are useless since i can't calibrate 3x of them at the same time without issues.

Seriously silverstone, you had one job with your mighty 180mm fans in the last 10 YEARS:
"Make them silent during idle !!!"

Attachments

• IMG_20200811_221638.jpg
    IMG_20200811_221638.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Anyone find a slimmer fan that they mounted in the middle? Just rebuilt, after trouble shooting some issues finally noticed bottom fans were dead. I had a spare one and put it in the furthest back spot. Need to replace top fan too, do you all recommend stock, or something else?

Anyone find a slimmer fan that they mounted in the middle? Just rebuilt, after trouble shooting some issues finally noticed bottom fans were dead. I had a spare one and put it in the furthest back spot. Need to replace top fan too, do you all recommend stock, or something else?
The 180mm AP fans are all 32mm in height.
Fractal Design has 25mm 180mm fans.

Some ball baering fans do not like that middle position at all.
Personally i've stuck with

Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM​

since their ball baerings do not seem to fail after 11-15 months (like many others that i've tried).

The 180mm AP fans are all 32mm in height.
Fractal Design has 25mm 180mm fans.

Some ball baering fans do not like that middle position at all.
Personally i've stuck with

Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM​

since their ball baerings do not seem to fail after 11-15 months (like many others that i've tried).
Does it provide enough push?
did you have to seal the area around it since there should be other space left around it?

That's funny, I was almost tempted to get the fractal design fan, my friend found it, it should be able to fit under the video card, the only thing that blows is that they only sell it in a two pack.

I am not going to find out since i am switching to 140mm fans.

The 180mm case filter has mounting holes for them and due to lack of 180mm fans that can run silent in idle i am going to choose between
noctua, corsair sp140 or be quiets silent wings.

Simply because i've found out that my 3070 from noctua does not really care much if the bottom fans run at low or high speeds.

Due to the dense mesh in the filter simple dust will natually seal all low pressure parts of it after a few weeks.

july 28th edit:
Great results after switching from 180mm to 140mm!

Switching out the silver stone 181 183 and 184pro for beeing far too loud in idle i have finally a System that you can't hear or discern if it is even on if you enter the "AC"less room:

Also: the 180mm fans have dead spots if they don't run fast enough to overpressure the case.

Running the FT02 on low rpm:
Due to the big cpu cooler and gpu my PCH temps went high enough to dry out is thermal pad (91c)
The Mb-temp sensor did hit 58c
All whilst running 180mm fans at 0 or 220 rpm.
So 220rpm don't do diddly squat.

the totally silent 500 rpm of the 140m fans does eliminate those issues 100% now: :)
20220727_180610.jpg

I've moved the left and right fan more to the middle.
The middle one gets air inbetween the gpu and cpu cooler, which a 180mm fan can't do at its lowest rpm.

13 years of hands-on experience with this case and i can't believe i switch to 140mm fans.
That is a shame on so many levels for silverstone since i've bought 3x new silvestone fans every 3 years or so. That's over 400 bucks. No more !

ps: The 184pro that i only used for a month have been converted to desk fans. One has already a bad ball bearing...

Last edited:
I made an account so I could share my project with you guys. I've been an owner of the FT02 since it first came out but I recently picked up another case locally that was a bit rough which allowed me the opportunity to try something I've thought about for years- a shortened FT02. I cut it down to 17 5/8" which eliminates the front fan and drive bays. I simply removed the front panel, cut out what I wanted to remove, then riveted the front back on. The top panel I only needed to cut off maybe an inch and it still attaches with the stock mounting clips. The wrap around aluminum was a bit more work because I tried to cut perfectly straight with hand tools, I failed but the cut is on the bottom so it doesn't matter. Next I had to make some mounting tabs for the front bay covers and rivet that on, I used the old HDD cage for my scrap and a lot of the holes predrilled into it were in the right spot so that made life easier. If I had access to a machine shop I could work miracles with this case but since I'm just hacking away in my garage it's turning out pretty well all things considered. Next step is to cut my side panels down, they will use the same mounting system as original I will just have to drill and tap a new screw hole in the front of the panel. The plexiglass side window will be almost perfectly centered on the side of the case so that will look really I good I think. I haven't decided on a color to paint the interior yet, I may just stay with black but something metallic might be cool. The final touch will be to fabricate a lower panel for the front bay that will house my power switch, I don't think I will bother with a reset switch and external USB ports, I'm thinking one central lighted power button to keep it clean. Not sure if I will do an HDD activity LED, it would be easy to reuse the stock one but it seems kind of antiquated in the era of nvme drives.

Any thoughts or inputs are appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20220723_122446945.jpg
    IMG_20220723_122446945.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220725_152952312.jpg
    IMG_20220725_152952312.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 0
OCcool has a brilliant black/blue external power button.

All my FT02s have one as a backup to my silverstone key fob to turn the thing on.
20220728_004630.jpg
20220728_004003.jpg

Key Fob only .... well at some point you gonna buy the OCcool button as well.
So buy the button first and gift yourself the key fob in the future.
6847644.JPG

ps JBweld FTW!
pps You are probably gonna kick yourself in the future at some point if you choose black as the color.

Last edited:
So cool to see the love for the FT02 keeping up, I've been using mine for 10 years now!

2012 - First build, transferred from a Lian Li PC-B25B (GTX 570 SLI and i5 2500K)
01-2012.JPG

2013 - Modding/stealthing, Thermalright heatsinks on the RAM. Had to hack into the Scythe Mine 2 a little to fit all 4...
02.JPG
03-2013.JPG

2016 - Same Mine 2 monster but now with i5 6600K and GTX 1080 FTW, went for SLI in 2018, still scaled quite OK back then!
05-2016.jpg
06.JPG

2021/2022 - Moved to a Ryzen 5600X and RTX 3070 in NZXT H1 (no worries, took the necessary precautions 🔥)
Couldn't leave the FT02 with GTX 1080 / i5 6600K behind though: Semi-passive build using the AP184i PWM controlled fans.
When they do spin up, they're not really as quiet as expected, but at least they look nice...
08-2021.jpg
09.jpg

10.jpg
12.jpg

It took me awhile to figure out how I was going to do this without screwing it up (much at least). I ordered some new blades for the jigsaw and used a strip of aluminum L bracket clamped down as my rip fence. It's not perfect because there was a lot of chatter in the metal as I cut it and I couldn't secure everything all that well because of the lip on the backside of the panel, but it's acceptable. I'll try it again on the plexiglass side and if it turns out poorly then I'll just abandon the metal cover and get a sheet of Plexi cut to fit that entire side and will secure it with four screws through the face into the frame. As for the 5.25 bays my plan now is to use the scrap piece of aluminum I removed from the frame when I shortened it, I'll trim it to fit the opening and then jb weld it in place. Since it's the same material it should look almost as if the bays were never there. In the process of doing everything I'm accumulating enough scratches that a full repaint will be in order.

IMG_20220816_083926754.jpg

IMG_20220816_084010377.jpg

... I recently picked up another case ...
I though I was the only one crazy enough to buy two!
I started with a black & windowed version with window and bought an extra silver & windowed version. I swapped out the big aluminium outer U-shell between the silver and black case!

... a shortened FT02 ...
I already was breaking my head over those pictures, something didn't look right... :confused:
Neat idea though, and it's coming along already!

... it should look almost as if the bays were never there ...
That would be awesome, hope it works out as planned, keep us updated (y)

Front panel blanking plate fitted today, it's the piece I removed from the bottom when I shortened the outer shell. My cuts were not very good so I spent a huge amount of time filing until I got a tight press fit that's even all around. Best outcome I could hope for without precise machine tools. I'll use jb weld to permanently attach it later, I'm going to drill the mount for my power switch in it first. All that's left is to cut down the other side panel or go the plexiglass route and then prime/paint!IMG_20220817_123648452_HDR.jpgIMG_20220817_123426939.jpg

God damn, i was thinking of selling my FT02 but now i'm rethinking how to use it. It seems the modern cases just dont cool as well.

My only issues being the USB panel needs changing
Understanding which GPU's will work well mounted Vertically. This seems to come down to the heatpipe orientation

God damn, i was thinking of selling my FT02 but now i'm rethinking how to use it. It seems the modern cases just dont cool as well.

Understanding which GPU's will work well mounted Vertically. This seems to come down to the heatpipe orientation
It's a classic! I don't think I will get rid of mine ever.

They did make a USB3.0 version but as far as I know no USB-C options. You might be able to find a case with a front I/O PCB that would fit your needs and fits the I/O space in the FT02, then see if the case brand would send one as aftermarket part?
I ordered multiple separate case parts for modding purposes through support departments from Silverstone, NZXT and InWin, also from cases I didn't even own, for reasonable prices too!

Regarding GPU orientation, the last gen I used in that case was an EVGA GTX 1080 FTW, no issues there.

There is an usb-c option out there for the panel. Sold from the U.S. and G.B. .

Sadly no GPU will ever work proper in that orientaiotn ever again.
All the short ones from Asus, MSI and EVGA i tested in the FT02. All other brands and models i tested hanging in a rack.

From all the brands your best bet is EVGA since the internal wick structure of their heatpipes works better than most in this particular orientation.
I still manged to overheat all cards from 3080 upwards on factory settings.

I recently bought a second FT02, however the hard drive sleds are missing. I have the sleds from my original one, so it's no big issue, but I'm wondering if anyone has explored alternatives to the FT02 drive cage. Any good vertical mounts for hard disks in 5.25" slots, or alternative hard drive cages?

The CFP53B from the RV02 seems like it would be a great option for vertical 5.25" mounting of hard disks, but it's no longer available.

Edit: I contacted Silverstone support, and they happened to have a few hard disk sleds remaining they were able to ship out. A+ customer support.

Last edited:
I recently bought a second FT02, however the hard drive sleds are missing. I have the sleds from my original one, so it's no big issue, but I'm wondering if anyone has explored alternatives to the FT02 drive cage. Any good vertical mounts for hard disks in 5.25" slots, or alternative hard drive cages?

The CFP53B from the RV02 seems like it would be a great option for vertical 5.25" mounting of hard disks, but it's no longer available.
Suspend them with rubber like bands/bungee cords in the housing. I tossed the extra HDD cages with my case, my thought was who uses HDDs in 2022 but if you are running a server it makes sense you would have a raid array.

Silverstone sold a front panel upgrade that had USB C but it may no longer be available. As for USB 3.0 I made my own fairly easily, you can buy a pair of USB 3.0 cables that connect to a motherboard header in a Y configuration, you need the kind that have two little tabs on the bottom of the USB 3 plugs. On your silverstone front panel circuit board you can see they have two solder joints on those tabs that hold the headers to the board. Just desolder the USB 2.0 plugs and insert the tabs from the USB 3 plugs and put a dot of solder on each and boom you're done. The only issue is silverstone must use a short version of the USB 2.0 plugs because with the ones I installed they are slightly taller so you can't slide the door closed, but that's fine just leave the door open. If what I said doesn't make sense it will be obvious once you look at the underside of the front panel circuit board.

I am currently using an EVGA RTX 2060 KO Ultra and no issues, but it has a short heatpipe configuration and the GPU is in the center of the heatsink so that makes it work fine. A long run of heatpipes would be a problem. With my short FT02 project I originally considered using it rotated 90 degrees. From what I understand Nvidia Founders edition cards work fine in the verticle orientation.

Not 2000 series. They even had a disclaimer put in the details page. Sadly just a few days after preorders. So i had to cancel my 2080ti and went for evga.

Ladies and gents the modding has concluded and here we have the world's only Silverstone ft02 mini edition. Two 180mm fans and no ancient cdrom and hard drive bays, ready for the modern era of nvme storage and internet delivery of all software. Just needs a repaint and a power button, but that will be a project I put off for quite some time.

IMG_20220914_114212467.jpg

IMG_20220914_113857156.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220914_114202485.jpg
    IMG_20220914_114202485.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 0
Cleaned up with the window switched over to the inside. Almost looks unmodified! With a repaint I think this will be my forever case. I'm leaning towards a metallic green or ironman red, someday I'll make up my mind!

IMG_20220918_092456082.jpg

Last edited:
From all the brands your best bet is EVGA since the internal wick structure of their heatpipes works better than most in this particular orientation.
I still manged to overheat all cards from 3080 upwards on factory settings.
Dammit. I finally decided to get a 6700xt and all the heatpipe structure looks to be sub-optimal.

For the Sapphire Nitro - The heatpipes travel up the card. At least they dont coil around the top though, that seems to be the worst kind. Length seems to be 310mm - not even sure if that would fit.
Saphire Nitro.JPG

On the other hand - there is the MSI 6700XT MECH. I had a MSI FRORZ 1070 (which was relatively short at 280mm) but it worked really well for years.
MSI 1070
MSI 1070.JPG

It didnt have many vertical pipes at all - everything was kinda woven into the heatsink. That probably helped alot with cooling.

The msi MECH 6700xt looks simlar but much cheaper...and also shorter at 250mm.
View attachment MECH.webp

And then there's the last option - the Gigabyte (at 282mm).

Eagle.jpg

If i had to pick one - i think the Gigabyte has the best chance of keeping the card cooler. Gravity isnt working against the lower heat pipes (though that might limit the performance).

What do you guys think?

Recently built a 7950X rig in an old (but rarely used and still mint) FT01-BW-USB3 (literally the big brother to the Lian Li Lancool 170M 7900X in my sig)
Had to do without one of the 3.5" cages to accommodate a 3080 Ti, but it performs very well
(especially with a -20 and 180W adjustment to the 7950X - same ST/MT performance as stock, and temps far south of 95C)

Recently built a 7950X rig in an old (but rarely used and still mint) FT01-BW-USB3 (literally the big brother to the Lian Li Lancool 170M 7900X in my sig)
Had to do without one of the 3.5" cages to accommodate a 3080 Ti, but it performs very well
(especially with a -20 and 180W adjustment to the 7950X - same ST/MT performance as stock, and temps far south of 95C)
Using a RTX3090 with FT01 and it works great. Case has been in service for over a decade. Solid!

Using a RTX3090 with FT01 and it works great. Case has been in service for over a decade. Solid!
The FT01 has been in storage in mint condition since I retired an old i7 920 build many years ago.
More into smaller form-factor PCs these days, so gave that case to my brother for this 7950X build.

Sidenote : It is pretty amazing how much computing/GPU power you can stuff into ~21L (Lian Li 170M)
I know you can do smaller (Ncase, etc.), but the 170M is cheap (~$50) and takes regular-sized PSUs, etc.

trying use my ft02 again.

nvidia 4080 just fits length wise, just clears the bottom 180mm fan.
the pce 600w cable would have to take a big bend.
I find temps are too high as travels upwards. so bottom of cooler not very effective.

will fit

20230206_175806.jpg

Attachments

• 20230206_175806.jpg
    20230206_175806.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 0
Current GPU coolers used this orientation is obsolete. No one makes single fane blower designs.
I tried using my FT03 with a 3070 FTW and it almost cooked itself. Then, installed a 3090 Trinity and it stayed above 82C while gaming.

Now I have a 4080 in a Cosmos C700, reverse orientation like my FT04, and temps are 25C idle and 54C while gaming.
The FT04 is the better of the FT line for todays tech.

Last edited:
Current GPU coolers used this orientation is obsolete. No one makes single fane blower designs.
I tried using my FT03 with a 3070 FTW and it almost cooked itself. Then, installed a 3090 Trinity and it stayed above 82C while gaming.

Now I have a 4080 in a Cosmos C700, reverse orientation like my FT04, and temps are 25C idle and 54C while gaming.
The FT04 is the better of the FT line for todays tech.
Sigh. gpu coolers today do not cool correct in the ft02.
Two 980 ti died in the case.
I only put the 4080 in to see if it would fit.
I put an older blower card back in.
my ft02 just sits and collects dust now.

I have been shopping for new cases and the market is just downright depressing. There are just no good aluminum premium options. I wish Silverstone would revisit some older designs. I would happily pay big money for some updated unibody designs. It is just so sad that so many classic Silverstone cases are no longer made.

Still using a FT-02 with a X570, 5950x with PA-120 cooler and RTX 3070, super quiet, but it's time to move on

Been researching lots of cases and from what I can see the BeQuiet Silent Base 802 with the included mesh front used, is the closest in spirit to the Ft-02 with the 10mm sound damping in the panels and similar airflow setup, just horizontal rather than vertical.
The Fractal Desgn Torrent is also similar, but no sound damping

With the Silent Base 802, running 3 140mm fans (Silent Wings 4) at the front, a 140mm at the back, and another 140mm at the top rear with the optional mesh opening.
Plus a few 120mm/140mm at the bottom, with the power supply shroud opened up, it has an open bottom with filter, should be at least equal to the FT-02 in airflow.
Probably also have the power supply opening facing up so the HX1200 can run passive most of the time, just like in my FT-02

It's actually slightly bigger than then the FT-02, but much wider and bigger internally without the 5.25 inch drive bays
And way more drive bays.
Can also suspend mount the spinning drives with velcro straps if you get creative, to minimise resonance.
None of the other alternatives like the Torrent allow you to do that

Plus most things are damped or rubber floated for acoustics

Last edited:
Back