New Silverstone FT02

5930K / X99-Deluxe is what I threw into mine. It was a pleasure to rebuild in after playing around with much smaller cases for a long time. You can likely still pickup a USB 3.0 I/O from Silverstone if you are interested. That's how I got it for my first FT02.

There are indentations on the inside of the case where thicker cables can be routed to alleviate routing from the back. Yes, they'll be visible especially if they aren't sleeved in black, but they make life much easier if you don't have cable clips specifically.(these style, for reference)

This little guy can also be incredibly useful if you have a bunch of 3.5" drives - http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=304

If you have the earlier AP181's you can also route GPU cables along the edges of the fans and cable tie them to secure them in place.

It's mainly the optical drives and (soon to be removed) fan controller I have installed as I had to try and route a molex connection around back and up to the top 5.25" bay for the fan controller. Cable was just barely long enough and I had to try and push down the molex connectors in between the end one and the PSU to get the back panel to fit. No more fan controller will mean no more need for molex to be run up there, so that should help quite a bit by itself.

Hi, i'm Pier Luigi from Italy, i'll upload shoots of my new FT02
After 4 years with RV02 i wanna try the more stilish FT02 so a shoot of FT 02 with 2 led red stripes turned on!

FT02.jpg

After this, i think to change motherboard to match other colours

DSC02529.jpg

In this shoot you can see new AP182 that replace stock AP181

DSC02531.jpg

Some opinion?

Last edited:
Even though I put my FT02 away and went with Corsair's 760T Windowed Case, I always come back here and check the latest setup image of the classic FT02.:D

hey guys,

I have a FT02S USB 2.0 I bought in 2011 and by now the fans seem to not work properly or cool not efficiently. Let me start with the build first though:

Asus Maximus Hero VII, Z97
i7-4790K@Noctua NH-D14
ASUS Titan X
2x8GB DDR-3 2400 Kingston HyperX Savage

As you can see I only have one card, the Titan X in my case but this card goes up to 86°C Celsius during load. I know it's a reference design but that card is still pushing hot air out of the case, no?

Shouldn't the temps be lower in general? I have set the middle fan to H and the rest to L, though even at L they are all too loud unfortunately.

I considered buying 3xAP182 but those are 90€ when added. What should I do?
Buy a new black (all my desk is black now) FT02B-W USB 3.0 or is there an even better case for AIR COOLING? Please recommend me something.

thanks and regards

Nvidia cards with reference coolers are designed to maintain a specific thermal point. Because your card isn't dumping its hot air into the case, the case is not at fault.

If 86C really worries you, use an application like Afterburner to lower your thermal threshold.

Your 86C load temperature is fairly consistent with reviews, like Anandtech's observed 83C under load.

Yes they are designed to prioritise noise over temprature so they will hit same maximums but at lower fan rpm.

Check gpu fan rpm with AP 181 disabled and on high speed setting.

Thank you guys. Probably isn't the case itself as enough air (cleaning dust filters regularly) intake should be guaranteed. I see if I can create a fan curve just to make sure.

However the loudness remains and 3xAP182 cost 90€ at least.

Debating between paying 90€ for new fans or getting a Phanteks Evolv ATX black for 170€ and matching the color for my desk.

Try removing the fans entirely. Also try moving the GPU to one of the other x16 slots, just in case it's getting heated by the CPU cooler. I ran my FT02 with all the fans removed.

Thank you guys. Probably isn't the case itself as enough air (cleaning dust filters regularly) intake should be guaranteed. I see if I can create a fan curve just to make sure.

However the loudness remains and 3xAP182 cost 90€ at least.

Debating between paying 90€ for new fans or getting a Phanteks Evolv ATX black for 170€ and matching the color for my desk.

You can put AP181 on fan controller to reduce their speed.

You can't cheat physics - 3x180mm fans at 600-700 rpm must be audible the only way to combat it is to reduce rpm by dropping voltage at the cost of cooling performance.

You would have to dig through this thread to check how exactly as this was posted here :)

There's the FT05, but the cable management is significantly inferior to the FT02, plus the FT02 has a curved base which makes moving the thing much easier.

I wish they would update this case - the FT05 and FT04 just didn't do it for me. How long until we see an FT06?

I love my FT02 that I picked up on Amazon Warehouse Deals in 2013 for sub $200!

Quick question - does anyone know if the Corsair H110i GT/GTX will fit on the 180mm fans at the bottom?

I was considering upgrading soon and had either the Noctua D15S or Corsair H110i GT/GTX on my radar.

Thanks!

I want to put a custom cooler GTX 1080 in my FT02. Does it matter which way the heatpipes and heatsink fins are oriented on the GPU?

I meant do I need a GPU with vertical fins and horizontal heat pipes? Or horizontal fins and vertical heatpipes?

I meant do I need a GPU with vertical fins and horizontal heat pipes? Or horizontal fins and vertical heatpipes?
I remember trying to research this a couple of years back. I think I remember concluding that the orientation mattered a lot less than the quality of the heatpipes, in that high quality heatpipes can transfer heat even in most directions.

I couldn't tell you definitively, either way, so you'll probably have to try and see.

I'll give it another bump looking for folks with custom coolers on their GPUs. I'm going to upgrade this wave and interested in non-blower performance in this case. I hate to say it but I'm contemplating making the move from this case to a liquid cooling set up finally for this machine (gaming rig only these days).

Anyone have any direct experience with the ACX style coolers and this case or orientation? Noise is not a real concern for me it's more keeping it easy to route the hot air from the case away from my desk (small desk fan on top of the case works wonders).

A new revision of the ft02 to better support ssd's and have rubber grommets to hide cabling would be nice, as well as having more space at the back for cables. The ft05 i would have though would implement all that but it just added ssd support and not much else.

I'll give it another bump looking for folks with custom coolers on their GPUs. I'm going to upgrade this wave and interested in non-blower performance in this case. I hate to say it but I'm contemplating making the move from this case to a liquid cooling set up finally for this machine (gaming rig only these days).

Anyone have any direct experience with the ACX style coolers and this case or orientation? Noise is not a real concern for me it's more keeping it easy to route the hot air from the case away from my desk (small desk fan on top of the case works wonders).

Only experience i've had was a 7990 which liked to overheat, though that was down to the card. The actual manual of the case has a pic showing blower style coolers with as yes and centre blowers or rear blowers being a no. Presumably that applies to any non exhausting cooler as well.

RBIn58A.png

Only experience i've had was a 7990 which liked to overheat, though that was down to the card. The actual manual of the case has a pic showing blower style coolers with as yes and centre blowers or rear blowers being a no. Presumably that applies to any non exhausting cooler as well.

RBIn58A.png

Thanks for looking that up, I didn't even think to check. I kind of knew the answer, was just hoping folks had no problem. I hate to say it this is probably my last rev with the FT02 since the higher end cards all seem to have moved completely away from blowers (for obvious reasons). Water cooling case is up next gen.

From a cabling perspective, I cannot recommend the FT05.

Yeah its as bad as the ft02, no grommets and barely any space to get cables between the back-plate and the case cover. From an airflow perspective the ft02 and ft05 are amazing, but for arranging cables theyre incredibly annoying. If they could add grommets to the ft02, have dedicated ssd mounts and make some space on the back for cabling with tiedown points it would be a much better case. Afaik the ft05 doesn't support anything larger than atx either =/

If there's a new version of the ft02 with all those it would be a great case.

Actually, it's worse than the FT02 because they moved the PSU to the other side of the motherboard. This means that the CPU power cable - the one in the top-right corner - gets pinched between the motherboard and the case when you route it round the back of the motherboard. To change that cable (e.g. when changing the PSU) you have to completely remove the motherboard. The case just needs 1 cm extra on that side and 1 cm extra behind the motherboard.

8 years and 1.5+ million views of this thread later, this original poster (me) finally got around to ordering this case to replace my FT01 for a new coffee lake build!

If a better case has come out since 2009 speak now while I can cancel or forever hold your peace!! (y)

8 years and 1.5+ million views of this thread later, this original poster (me) finally got around to ordering this case to replace my FT01 for a new coffee lake build!

If a better case has come out since 2009 speak now while I can cancel or forever hold your peace!! (y)

I like mine. I have had it since January 2010.

My next case is probably going to be ITX though. These days I want something more easily moved. The thing is a tank.

Now I will say, with the Advent of VR, the top mesh part of my case is hardly ever on it anymore. I find myself moving cables around far too much.

In addition, make sure cables are long enough, the design of the case means you lose about 6-12 " of length.

Years later I still love mine and it's only been upgraded to a caselabs s8 as I wanted to play around with water cooling.

I loved the RED special edition I had. I sold it for what I paid a year and a half earlier. Great case.

I sold mine to someone on Anadtech. Had the plexiglass laser etched and blacked out all of the screws. Definitely my best case of all time, until I had the IN WIN S-Frame Red/Black special edition.

Only IN WIN and Caselabs can beat the FT02 based on design and features, but at higher price points.
Case Labs is releasing a new SMA8-A case that IMO will be the case of all cases.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1642144/caselabs-announces-the-magnum-sma8-a-revision-sma8-a/0_40

Is there any more conventional case that has better GPU cooling? I don't think I can do FT02 afterall it is just too big length wise. This for my LIVINGROOM believe it or not. Also I am worried about that top panel and accessibility to the back ports. I would like to get some more air on my GPU though.

Is there any more conventional case that has better GPU cooling? I don't think I can do FT02 afterall it is just too big length wise. This for my LIVINGROOM believe it or not. Also I am worried about that top panel and accessibility to the back ports. I would like to get some more air on my GPU though.

Better GPU cooling -> closed-loop cooler like those released by Corsair and sold by EVGA and MSI. Enclosure doesn't matter so much at that point so long as there's a good intake flow.

Back