New Silverstone FT02

That is a good question, I haven't been following the updates on it closely, so hopefully someone else can chime in for you.

I did however help my friend assemble his new 2500k build a week ago using the RV03 case which did have them, although they were connected via supplied cables which have to plug into the USB 3.0 ports on the back I/O panel of your mobo :eek:

Does anyone know if this case is going to be getting USB 3.0 ports on top?

How hard would it be to replace the built in USB adaptors then?

I really don't want front USB 3 if it means losing the USB 3 that would be on the back of my motherboard.

I was planning on building a computer here soon using the Asus z68 pro motherboard (2 USB 3 on the motherboard and 2 on the back).

Also, do you all know if the hot-swap cp05 brackets support SATA III speeds?

Thanks

Hopefully Rurki can answer that for you as it looks like he has 3.0 USB ports on his FT02 seen in last photo here here, not sure if they came in there or he installed them as mine have black connectors inside not blue like his.

I was kind of bummed building my friends RV03 up seeing the USB leads set like they were and understand you not wanting to lose the slots off the mobo. My FT02 has the leads running to the internals of the board and not the I/O panel like they designed the RV03.

Silverstone's website reads the CP05 are sata II, so I would say no to supporting sata III speeds. I could be wrong, I'm just going by what I read there. Maybe they have plans on making a new design or updating the old ones.

How hard would it be to replace the built in USB adaptors then?

I really don't want front USB 3 if it means losing the USB 3 that would be on the back of my motherboard.

I was planning on building a computer here soon using the Asus z68 pro motherboard (2 USB 3 on the motherboard and 2 on the back).

Also, do you all know if the hot-swap cp05 brackets support SATA III speeds?

Thanks

Upon further research, Rurki seems to have added the USB 3.0 slots to his FT02 himself. Found he wrote about it in here, or if a quote works better for you :) Rurki wrote: "I replaced my Asus Mobo with the Asrock X58 Extreme6. It came with a USB 3.0 3.5 Bracket. I took the unit apart and JB welded the USB 3.0 ports in where the old USB 2.0 top ports were."

Good looking mod.

The Asrock Extreme6 comes with a front USB bracket and 3.0 header on the board, so I did not have to route back to the I/O plate.

The USB and Mic bracket of the FT02 are held on by two screws, easily removed.

You will need to un-solder the existing USB 2.0 housing from the board. I cut the USB 2.0 cable off, since I would no longer need it.

Taking apart the USB adapter from Asrock was simple. The housing slides right off and the two USB 3.0 sockets are held together by a wax that melted off easily.

I then alligned the two sockets on the existing front panel board. The board has an outline in white to help allign the USB 3.0 sockets.

Next apply a thin layer of JB weld on the board and arround the socket edges.

Us a couple of clamps to hold in place and let it set overnight; boom, USB 3.0 in a FT02 Case.

I can provide more images if needed.

You're getting USB 3.0 speeds with the same board?

No, I cut the USB 2.0 cable out and un-soldered the housing.
There are not enough lanes in the existing board to support 3.0.
I simply used the existing board as a base, the USB 3.0 was still attached directly to the cable that came with the Asrock bracket.

Is there anyone with the case and the ap181 fans that can measure the maximum graphics card clearance? I´m trying to find out if a 580 lightning, which is 30.5cm, will fit in this case but i can´t seem to find a definitive number.

No, I cut the USB 2.0 cable out and un-soldered the housing.
There are not enough lanes in the existing board to support 3.0.
I simply used the existing board as a base, the USB 3.0 was still attached directly to the cable that came with the Asrock bracket.

I figured that the current board will restrict speeds. Looking into modding a Lian Li USB 3.0 kit to fit the FT02.

Is there anyone with the case and the ap181 fans that can measure the maximum graphics card clearance? I´m trying to find out if a 580 lightning, which is 30.5cm, will fit in this case but i can´t seem to find a definitive number.

12.2"

Right, which would be something like 30,99cm. I found that as well on the silverstone website but then various other places have the maximum number vary quite a bit between about 12"-12.2". It´s probably down to the old fans causing some confusion but i´d like to know for sure before i purchase everything and it turns out it can´t fit by 1 mm.

I´d love to use this case so i´d greatly appreciate if someone who has the case could ease my mind on this.

XFX 6970 is 11.3 inches, MSI Lightning 580 is aprox. 12 inches. I've got a little over 1.25 inches clearence from base of fan grill to edge of card so it should fit fine.

Well, there were reports that Shaman and Accelero Xtreme Plus performed sub-optimally when mounted vertically in FT02 (http://en.expreview.com/2010/11/15/90°-rotationhow-to-install-heatpipe-cooler/11843.html/5). I have tested this theory by comparing the CPU and GPU load temps in the following orientations:
1) FT02 standing upright on its feet;
2) FT02 standing upright on its front;
3) FT02 standing upright on its back;
4) FT02 lying on its left side;
5) FT02 lying on its right side.
Didn't try it upside down, sorry :)
Neither CPU nor GPU temperatures changed by more than 1-2 degrees and actually were usually lower with the case in its proper orientation. I guess my Shaman and Silver Arrow have super-duper quality wicks in their heat pipes and aren't much influenced by gravity.

I've run some tests also, and came to the opposite conclusion, at least as far as GPU temps are concerned.

I've made my report in this thread.

Long story short :

In usual, horizontal position :

Idle : 33 °C
Kombustor 5 min : 57 °C
Kombustor 10 min : 57 °C
Kombustor 20 min : 57 °C

In FT02's, vertical position :

Kombustor 5 min : 67 °C
Kombustor 10 min : 85 °C
Kombustor 15 min 30 sec : 97 °C - test aborted.

Meh.

I've run some tests also, and came to the opposite conclusion, at least as far as GPU temps are concerned.

Long story short :

Meh.

I wouldn't use that type of cooler in the FT02 and Kombuster is a program for stability testing. Kombuster pushes the card out of spec and doesn't represent normal use i.e. temps and power usage.
The wick inside the copper pipes being used in some of those coolers are cheap or wasn't intended for vertical use. It depends on how the cooler itself is made and not the case it's in.
I have a ASUS GTX 570 DirectCUII in my FT02, similar type of cooler design and my temps beat any reference card. Better wick quality equals better results.

Info on wick:
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2466

Edit: Your link also covers wick, good stuff. It's a gamble since it's impossible to know what kind of wick they're using, so I buy from manufactures like ASUS that uses their custom designed coolers.
Manufactures seems more aware of how cards could be mounted inside of a case and probably test them horiz. and vert.

Last edited:

Long story short :

Meh.

Don't really know what to say. I have FT02, reference GTX 580 at stock clocks with Shaman and VRM G2, idles at 31C. I just ran Kombustor 2.0.0, 2560x1600, 8x MSAA, DX11 for 10 minutes. After 3 mins, the GPU temp stabilized at 53C and didn't budge. I have a pretty slow ramp up for fan speed in Afterburner, so the fan was only at 920 RPM.

I had my Shaman drop-shipped from Thermalright HQ in SoCal, maybe they sent me special wicks?... :)

Don't really know what to say. I have FT02, reference GTX 580 at stock clocks with Shaman and VRM G2. I just ran Kombustor 2.0.0, 2560x1600, 8x MSAA, DX11 for 10 minutes. After 3 mins, the GPU temp stabilized at 53C and didn't budge. I have a pretty slow ramp up for fan speed in Afterburner, so the fan was only at 920 RPM.

I had my Shaman drop-shipped from Thermalright HQ in SoCal, maybe they sent me special wicks?... :)

It's no way to tell what wicks they are using, some "versions" could be better than others.
They won't release this info because it could hurt sales and users will buy brands with better wicks.

Last edited:
It's no way to tell what wicks they are using, some models could be better than others.
They won't release this info because it could hurt sales and users will buy brands with better wicks.

Running Kombustor is no way to tell what wicks they are using?.. There's only one model of the Shaman. Not really sure what you're saying.

Running Kombustor is no way to tell what wicks they are using?.. There's only one model of the Shaman. Not really sure what you're saying.

You said maybe they sent you special wicks, so I said there's no way to tell if they updated the wick in later versions.
They could have used one type and switched to another over the course of manufacturing. The word "models" was incorrect, I meant versions.

You said maybe they sent you special wicks, so I said there's no way to tell if they updated the wick in later versions.
They could have used one type and switched to another over the course of manufacturing. The word "models" was incorrect, I meant versions.

I would be glad to have you over in my dedicated thread for further debating of this issue ;)

Indeed they would not be the first company to silently have such practices. That would be a huge disappointment.

Silverstone Debate: Best Case made by SS to date?

TJ07 or FT02

The FT02 has been all the rage since release. Do you think the FT02 is the best as made by SS or is the TJ07 still King?

I'd have to say you're pitting apples vs oranges. For pure air cooled rigs the FT02 is the clear winner, however if you're looking to stick a loop in or have a lot versatility in regards to modding the TJ07 takes the cake.

Having owned both there are definitely features of each that I wish both had.

I gotta say the Silverstone FT03 was one of the biggest flops to come out of Silverstone and was a big disappointment to me when I saw it unveiled last year as the successor to the FT02 in the current Fortress line. They should of just replicated what they did here with the FT02 and took it further with a few new features like more room for cabling behind the motherboard tray with a larger cutout behind the CPU, slightly improved cooling with possibly moving the PSU down to the bottom front compartment like they did in the new RV03, and higher quality parts in areas like the hard drive cage and optical bay locks and they would of had another winner. Sometimes I wonder where companies find these people that come up with new "ideas for innovation" because most seem to have no clue what their market segment actually are looking for.

I'd have to say you're pitting apples vs oranges. For pure air cooled rigs the FT02 is the clear winner, however if you're looking to stick a loop in or have a lot versatility in regards to modding the TJ07 takes the cake.

Having owned both there are definitely features of each that I wish both had.

FT02 can be modded to fit a thick tripe rad, but very few people wanted to go through the effort.
I've seen a few FT02s with exotic watercooling also, removing the 180s and installing rads.

Even with the pro and cons, which is the best case SS made?

I can easily say the 800D is the best case Corsair made and it's the worst air-cooled case in their line up.

FT02 - because it is revolutionary concept which bring real world benefits

while TJ07 you could say was a bit behind it's times since it still used 92mm fans for case in 2006.

And FT02 is lot more affordable then TJ07

I have question on a build. I am getting this case and will have 3 SATA devices. SSD, HD, and DVD drives. Should I get 90 degree SATA connectors or are the standard straight ones ok as far as wire management goes?

Any tips or suggestions on installing a Corsair H60 HSF? Most of the builds seem to use the top exhaust port. I am a first time builder and just trying to make this go as smooth as possible. Thanks!

I have question on a build. I am getting this case and will have 3 SATA devices. SSD, HD, and DVD drives. Should I get 90 degree SATA connectors or are the standard straight ones ok as far as wire management goes?

Any tips or suggestions on installing a Corsair H60 HSF? Most of the builds seem to use the top exhaust port. I am a first time builder and just trying to make this go as smooth as possible. Thanks!

The only tight spot you MIGHT have is on the connectors into your optical drive if the drive extends beyond 6.5 inches or so and you have expansion cards near the edge of your motherboard. Otherwise, no fit issues at all or need for special connectors.

It's been ages since I've posted here on [H]; can not remember my old email or user name associated with that particular account lol.

Anyway, I've run into an unfortunate problem. I received an FT02 as a gift and noticed that one of the fan switches at the top of the case was loose. I looked inside and the pcb? wasn't held in place properly, only half of it was supported by the little metal hooks. To make matters worse, I ended up with the FN181 version of the case AND the fan that is associated with the loose switch...doesn't even work.

So it sounds like I should just walk into ++++ and get an exchange right? Canada is out of stock on the case.

If worse comes to worse and I have problems with ++++ not being able to honor the exchange when my 30 days are up without them having stock, how easy is it to just replace the FN fans with the AP models? I'll assume that I'll still have issues with the hanging/loose switch?

edit - sorry didn't realize a certain store here in Canada is censored.

You can replace the fans but it will be pricey, about $75US. You can try to fix the pcb yourself.
If you have an invoice from the person you bought, call SS for a replacement switch/pcb.

Your best option is returning it if possible, to have a chance at getting the better fans without buying them.

Last edited:
noticed that one of the fan switches at the top of the case was loose. I looked inside and the pcb? wasn't held in place properly, only half of it was supported by the little metal hooks.

I'm having a hard time picturing this. Do you have pics?

If worse comes to worse and I have problems with ++++ not being able to honor the exchange when my 30 days are up without them having stock, how easy is it to just replace the FN fans with the AP models? I'll assume that I'll still have issues with the hanging/loose switch?

They're drop in replacments. Unscrew the FN181 and speed switch, screw in AP181 and speed switch, done. I have two AP181 and one FN181 fans for sale if you end up needing to buy a new fan or two. They come with the speed switches.

Here's the image of what I was talking about. You can see that the hooks/sideplate thing that holds the other two is not the same as the one outlined in red.

Either way, I'll have to throw my parts in an old case and take the FT02 back to the store and I guess...wait for shipment or something. I wouldn't mind taking a display case with the AP fans but even that, they don't have.

http://i.imgur.com/tAdDP.jpg

Thanks for the help!

If the retailer won't exchange it, I'd suggest that you try contacting Silverstone as it looks like it's a manufacturing defect vs shipping damage from the picture link you posted? The switches on my FT02 are secured to the top of the case with small phillips head screws.

Does the fan and fan controller work? I'd contact Silverstone first but you could try to unscrew that switch from the top of the case is and see if you could squeeze the clips back properly.

Here's the image of what I was talking about. You can see that the hooks/sideplate thing that holds the other two is not the same as the one outlined in red.

Ah I see. That's easily fixable with a pair of needlenoise pliers. Just put the PCB back in place and bend the metal back.

Ah I see. That's easily fixable with a pair of needlenoise pliers. Just put the PCB back in place and bend the metal back.

Has anyone had any issues with the aluminum "unibody" separating from the inside of the case? I just got one of these in from Amazon yesterday and mine is doing this. I tried to tighten the screws but they just turn without tightening - almost like the threads are stripped in the aluminum part or something. It's like this on both sides of the rear of the case but the side I photographed below is the worst.

As it is right now there are only a few screws that actually seem to be holding at the back. I'm afraid that if I use the "handle" cut out at the top it might loosen more over time.

Here's a pic that should help explain what I'm talking about (just ignore the rat's nest of wires :) ). In the pic, you shouldn't be able to see the silver screws in the middle of the red circles - the back part of the case should be flush against the interior portion.

p1020630qz.jpg

Hi guys going to be ordering this case with my new PC just wanted some confirmation from the guys that own it that it'd fit an e-ATX board (Asus maximus iv) and secondly, whether I should or should go with a Frozr III cooler on a GTX580 in stead of a stock cooler in terms of temps etc?

EDIT: Nevermind, WorldExclusive kindly answered both questions for me with a yes <3

Last edited:

Yeah I'll just screw the support back in, I don't think it'll help with the fan not powering up. I'll swap the fans out by rewiring the ones that do work and see if my fan is dead or it's the switch/pcb thing.

Hi guys going to be ordering this case with my new PC just wanted some confirmation from the guys that own it that it'd fit an e-ATX board (Asus maximus iv) and secondly, whether I should or should go with a Frozr III cooler on a GTX580 in stead of a stock cooler in terms of temps etc?

EDIT: Nevermind, WorldExclusive kindly answered both questions for me with a yes <3

I'd actually strongly recommend you not get a frozr card for this case. Frozr cards (and all dual/triple fan designs) blow air into a heat sink and air exhausts everywhere. In the case of a frozr 6950 I tried, the bulk of the air came off the card back inside the case. The inside edge of the card will be about 1/2" from an intake fan, blowing air into the intake fan greatly disrupts air flow in the case.

You are better off with stock blower style coolers that pull air in at the far end (which will be right next to an intake fan) and exhaust air out the case as this works with the case's cooling instead of against it.

I'd actually strongly recommend you not get a frozr card for this case. Frozr cards (and all dual/triple fan designs) blow air into a heat sink and air exhausts everywhere. In the case of a frozr 6950 I tried, the bulk of the air came off the card back inside the case. The inside edge of the card will be about 1/2" from an intake fan, blowing air into the intake fan greatly disrupts air flow in the case.

You are better off with stock blower style coolers that pull air in at the far end (which will be right next to an intake fan) and exhaust air out the case as this works with the case's cooling instead of against it.

There's a lot of members here with Shamans and AXPs, who would beg to differ.

Back