New Silverstone FT02

Just ordered one from Amazon this morning after reading through this thread. Been looking for a new case. Estimated delivery mid week :)

Yeah seems like all the Window ones have the AP181s. They had em at my local computer shop, but they were still like 250.

The old 181s are still good fans and super silent, I may upgrade 1 of them to an AP181 for my GPU, especially if I go SLI.

Yeah, I'm thinking if I add another 460 to SLI my rig I might replace the middle fan with an AP, but I'd probably throw a resistor in-line with it to keep it below 1000RPM.

Has anyone replaced the top exhaust fan with something like a Scythe Slipstream 1200RPM? It seems to be the only thing I can hear from my case if the GPU fans aren't spun up, so I'm wondering if a Scythe would silence it a little. I'm not sure if I'm hearing just the sound of air though and the fan wouldn't matter. As it is, it's slightly louder than my iMac was, but just barely, and it's a lower, more pleasant sound anyway, so it actually bothers me less (it actually makes for a pleasant white noise kind of sound if I'm sitting in my office without headphones on just typing in silence).

I've tried various fans in the exhaust spot and it doesn't make a difference temperatures-wise. Right now I have a 120rad up there with a San Ace fan on it turned down to 1600rpm. Slipstreams would be a bad idea up there since they're sleeve bearing. I'd grab a Scythe GT if I were you.

Is a sleeve bearing more noisy or something? I have an 800rpm slipstream as my cpu fan that I can't even hear with my ear up next to it, of course the 1200rpm is faster, so that would make a difference.

Is a sleeve bearing more noisy or something? I have an 800rpm slipstream as my cpu fan that I can't even hear with my ear up next to it, of course the 1200rpm is faster, so that would make a difference.

No, Sleeve bearing fans arent meant to be horizontal, they wear out faster.

Hey guys!

I came across this thread while browsing google for case reviews (I'm usually on OCN)

Just wanted to say I ordered my Black, Windowed FT02 from Newegg on Friday and just got it 30 minutes ago.

The bottom 3 fans are the new air penetrators while the rear (top?) fan is the standard golfball type 120mm.

I also wanted to put out that the fans and included rear fan controller ARE SLEEVED, unlike the older fans (Or at least from what I saw in the older reviews on youtube the fans weren't sleeved) ... That was a pleasant surprise.

I'll be putting my build in it tonight but I have to say I am really impressed at the thought that went into this as well as the included "Freebies" (SSD Mounting, Radiator Stabilizer, etc)

My ONLY complaint is the back panel's foam has two pretty nasty permanent indentations on it from where something was pushing against it... Can't see it with the panel on (only when you take it off and look at it) but I figured I might as well report it :)

My ONLY complaint is the back panel's foam has two pretty nasty permanent indentations on it from where something was pushing against it... Can't see it with the panel on (only when you take it off and look at it) but I figured I might as well report it :)

Unusual for it to come from the factory that way, but once you install your system, the cables will make indentations anyway.

Just received my ft02wb. It's caddies are of the newer nylon material version, which feels great (more flexible) and all secure with authority. Well, not as good as cooler master ones, but good enough. The black paint is not as cool as the red, but the case seems to fit better. Between the two ft02s I had, this is much better so far, so the red one was not built as good as this black one. Looks like ordering the latest stock from silverstone directly threw sundialmicro paid off, with AP181 fans in tow, but I only examined it for five minutes so far.

Last edited:
No, Sleeve bearing fans arent meant to be horizontal, they wear out faster.

Ah, that's good to know, since the orientation of the case makes the cpu fan horizontal as well. Looks like I better look into replacing the cpu fan too, though I do love that I can't hear a peep out of it. :(

Silverstone 180mm fans have a extra part inside the fan to account for the flat position. Non sleeve fans elsewhere and your good.

Just ordered one from Amazon this morning after reading through this thread. Been looking for a new case. Estimated delivery mid week :)

Arrived this afternoon. Window version. AP181's are in it just in case anyone wanted to know.

I read posts that say it fits, but yet once again, my x750, which has a non removable raised fan grill, clearly does not fit the FT02 without putting pressure on the filter clip, making it hard to clip in or remove, which will deform with enough pressure and or removals. This is the PSUs fault for its non standard shape. You could get away with it sure, but you would be living a lie, its not a good fit. If I dent the psu around the corners, it would fit just fine however, its the filter clips only - not the grills itself causing an issue (but normal PSUs would have more space like) or I could flip it around. I swear, I'm not making this fracking thing up!

Not a big deal however, its a very quiet psu in any position. If reversed, it adds some more exhaust, which imho will only benifit this case.

Last edited:
FT02 Install is going well, I ordered in Silverstone black nickel pci covers and the Super Mega looks cool screwed in, but I still need a gpu... dam... I kinda want to wait for the 6970 or 6870. Any Eta on those yet?

Last edited:
FT02 Install is going well, I ordered in Silverstone 120mm fan filters for the smaller fans, some Silverstone black nickel pci covers, rounded SATA 3 cables, cable saddles, the Super Mega looks cool screwed in, but I still need a gpu... dam... I kinda want to wait for the 6970 or 6870. Any Eta on those yet?

From what I've heard we should expect reviews tomorrow (21st) ... There are a few major reviewers that have said they received theirs but are unable to give reviews until that date.

From what I've SEEN from leaked asian benchmarks (as always :D) the 6870 doesn't compare to the 5870.

ATI changed up the numbers... Something about a 69xx is supposed to compete with it.

Also going to be building mine today! I needed some heatshrink and the like yesterday and was so tired that I would've done a sloppy job.

I read posts that say it fits, but yet once again, my x750, which has a non removable raised fan grill, clearly does not fit the FT02 without putting pressure on the filter clip, making it hard to clip in or remove, which will deform with enough pressure and or removals. This is the PSUs fault for its non standard shape. You could get away with it sure, but you would be living a lie, its not a good fit. If I dent the psu around the corners, it would fit just fine however, its the filter clips only - not the grills itself causing an issue (but normal PSUs would have more space like) or I could flip it around. I swear, I'm not making this fracking thing up!

I have a Corsair AX850 (which we all know is a rebadged - essentially - seasonic). I had to remove the fan grill to have it fit flush in the case, though it obviously still doesn't line up with the vent. Doing this makes the velcro strap useless since it would touch the fan, so the PSU is only held up by the screws and the little plastic insert. Seems stable enough.

Like you though, I'm wondering about just turning it around and turning it into an exhaust, though I wonder if that's really healthy for the power supply. This is one of those PSUs that doesn't run the fan as much, so I think it might add to the noise if I turn it around so that the innards are getting exposed to the internal heat in the case.

Like you though, I'm wondering about just turning it around and turning it into an exhaust, though I wonder if that's really healthy for the power supply. This is one of those PSUs that doesn't run the fan as much, so I think it might add to the noise if I turn it around so that the innards are getting exposed to the internal heat in the case.
Case internal air temp will be way lower than the PS internal temp. I was going to do the same thing as the case lacks exhaust if anything, and this config would likely run the PS fan even less than it would normally.

I just can't let go of my FT02. I had the v1020r that I just sold to worldexclusive. I thought for sure I was gonna switch into it, but I didn't. Probably the only thing that can pry me away from my ft02 is the new full tower v series from Lian Li, but it's 500 bucks with the black interior.

I have a Corsair AX850 (which we all know is a rebadged - essentially - seasonic). I had to remove the fan grill to have it fit flush in the case, though it obviously still doesn't line up with the vent. Doing this makes the velcro strap useless since it would touch the fan, so the PSU is only held up by the screws and the little plastic insert. Seems stable enough.

Actually sounds like a good idea. Probably what I will do with my ax850 when I get it tomorrow.

I just can't let go of my FT02. I had the v1020r that I just sold to worldexclusive. I thought for sure I was gonna switch into it, but I didn't. Probably the only thing that can pry me away from my ft02 is the new full tower v series from Lian Li, but it's 500 bucks with the black interior.

Why did you think the V1020 was going to be "the case" for you? I think it looks pretty bad aesthetically and cooling-wise, then again I've never cared for the look of Lian-li's cases.

Why did you think the V1020 was going to be "the case" for you? I think it looks pretty bad aesthetically and cooling-wise, then again I've never cared for the look of Lian-li's cases.

I thought it looked very good and that the cooling would be adequate for my purposes. It has a removable motherboard tray, which I like. And I just mainly liked how it looked. I thought the Mac Pro style V series were the nicest cases ever aesthetically. I'm not overclocking anymore and I plan on selling my gtx 480 whenever ATI releases their new stuff, so cooling really isn't all that big of a concern for me anymore, and that's why I got it.

I'm sure Worldexclusive will post pics of it and his temps in the case. Even though I didn't move over my system to it/build in it, the least I can say is it has FANTASTIC build quality. However, I hated the overcomplicated process to reach the dust filters in the case.

Which part, removing the grill or turning it around?

Turning the PSU around.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever asked Tony about replacing the crappy HDD cages with the newer ones? Sent him a PM, just wondering if anyone had done it.

it'd be nice if they did...hopefully they'd also work in the FT01. My caviar blacks vibrate the cage occasionally to the point that I have to open up and adjust it to stop the vibration.

Hi guys, I want to clarify that there are no new hard drive trays for FT02 or other cases that use the same design. They have always been made out of the nylon since we introduced it in our Kublai series cases in 2007. A slight revision was made in 2008 for the FT01 (still the same material) and has since remain the same.

Built my first FT02 for a friend yesterday. He received a black w/window with the new Air Penetrators.

After 94 pages its pretty obvious, but goddamn this case is amazing. We had a few confusing moments building it. Whats this plastic thingy? (it was the power supply plastic corner) Elastic power supply strap, why bother? (we didnt) Where is this SATA and 4-pin power cable going to? (the hotswap)

Making me want to replace my own case now.

Built my first FT02 for a friend yesterday. He received a black w/window with the new Air Penetrators.

After 94 pages its pretty obvious, but goddamn this case is amazing. We had a few confusing moments building it. Whats this plastic thingy? (it was the power supply plastic corner) Elastic power supply strap, why bother? (we didnt) Where is this SATA and 4-pin power cable going to? (the hotswap)

Making me want to replace my own case now.

That's pretty much how my experience with the FT02 went. Friend got one, built in it for him, loved it, so I got one.

I tried looking around here, but has anyone with an H50 mentioned difference in cooling results using push/pull with the 180mm fan down below or with the 120mm fan on top?

Hi guys, I want to clarify that there are no new hard drive trays for FT02 or other cases that use the same design. They have always been made out of the nylon since we introduced it in our Kublai series cases in 2007. A slight revision was made in 2008 for the FT01 (still the same material) and has since remain the same.

I misunderstood one of silverstone reps post somewhere, guess it was just pointing out the material used vs others. In any case, my new FT02 has a way better caddy fit than my red one I returned, and it was not a small difference. But at least now I know the caddy design works and I guess my red one was a lemon as suggested. Sucks that there was no more red ones for me to replace it with, I had to go for black this time.

Last edited:
I tried looking around here, but has anyone with an H50 mentioned difference in cooling results using push/pull with the 180mm fan down below or with the 120mm fan on top?

I did this a few months ago, so I could shut up all the people on OCN telling me to intake for better temps lol. I tested exhaust, as well as intake (180/120 push/pull & 120/120 push/pull, both on the bottom). Difference in temp @ 4.0Ghz was zero. :D

I did this a few months ago, so I could shut up all the people on OCN telling me to intake for better temps lol. I tested exhaust, as well as intake (180/120 push/pull & 120/120 push/pull, both on the bottom). Difference in temp @ 4.0Ghz was zero. :D

Thank you!

Just how bad would a non external exhaust Sapphire Vapor X 6970 be in the FT02? Cus besides the external exhaust preference of the the FT02, I think that's the card I want released the most. For now I ordered up the XFX stock 6870 with external exhaust. But even tho external exhaust is desired in the FT02, I would think the often very significant cooling improvement of the Vapor X tech would more than make up for any air flow issues for being non external exhaust...

Last edited:
Just how bad would a non external exhaust Sapphire Vapor X 6970 be in the FT02? Cus besides the external exhaust preference of the the FT02, I think that's the card I want released the most. For now I ordered up the XFX stock 6870 with external exhaust. But even tho external exhaust is desired in the FT02, I would think the often very significant cooling improvement of the Vapor X tech would more than make up for any air flow issues for being non external exhaust...

I have the Sapphire Toxic Vapor X 5850 my temps at idle are sick. At load they are unbelievable as well, with no noise. Personally I was worried about the lack of external exhaust,but can safely say it doesn't matter, even on low fan speed.

Pictures in the next post down. Still waiting for the XFX 6870 - a short stop on the way to a AMD 6970 - note my Super Mega =)

My cable-fu was performed with minimal zip ties. Twelve 1/2" screw in cable saddles were used in free threaded holes, cables tied to each other rather than anchor points to promote flexibility. There are a few areas I can tie down a bit, but it's mostly done. Only needed two 300mm NZXT Sata Power extension cables, one for the disc drive and one for the SSD. One pic shows me putting pressure on the HD caddy and it does not budge. Door goes on. Sweet =)

End results were suitably spaced out and tight, but still flexible, as if Spider-Man webbed up my PC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALmQZXza2Rs

"Tell Em Peter!"
"Ah, apparently, everybody gets one!"
"Bingo."

Last edited:
My FT02-BW-AP181 wiring job:

IMAG0113.jpg

IMAG0070.jpg

IMAG0072.jpg

IMAG0105.jpg

IMAG0085.jpg

IMAG0087.jpg

IMAG0088.jpg

IMAG0095.jpg

IMAG0091.jpg

Last edited:
Your pic putting "pressure" on it. If you were to say try to plug something into the back of one of the drives, power or sata, would it stay in or pop out? Mine easily pop out.

Your pic putting "pressure" on it. If you were to say try to plug something into the back of one of the drives, power or sata, would it stay in or pop out? Mine easily pop out.

It would stay in. For some reason, this one works great. As in they never pop out. It's from the very latest stock.

Last edited:
I have the Sapphire Toxic Vapor X 5850 my temps at idle are sick. At load they are unbelievable as well, with no noise. Personally I was worried about the lack of external exhaust,but can safely say it doesn't matter, even on low fan speed.

I was thinking just how awesome an Asus Matrix 6970 would be instead. For Future Silverstone stuff, I think I finally dropped the TJ11 from my wish list. With no interest in water cooling anymore, I just don't need the TJ11 real estate. I'm now more interested in a possible FT04 (a real FT02 successor) or a mid tower unibody TJ12 (a real TJ10 successor).

Last edited:
Back